Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

LOL It's snowing people, so what if it slows down, speeds up, turns to rain? The majority of us were not forecast it so it's a nice (ish) surprise. It has been snowing here for ages on and off, moderately, heavily and then none at all, at the moment it is moderate even though the radar is telling me it is raining.

Some people are not happy unless they are spreading their doom and gloom! :D:air_kiss:

I just tried to take a picture but all it shows is grass, white patches on the pavements and garden furniture, not the actual snow falling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm , not hot , Sun ,

mendips now on board

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

LOL It's snowing people, so what if it slows down, speeds up, turns to rain? The majority of us were not forecast it so it's a nice (ish) surprise. It has been snowing here for ages on and off, moderately, heavily and then none at all, at the moment it is moderate even though the radar is telling me it is raining.

Some people are not happy unless they are spreading their doom and gloom! :D:air_kiss:

I just tried to take a picture but all it shows is grass, white patches on the pavements and garden furniture, not the actual snow falling.

hi DD whats your location??

fromey

Posted

11.30 update

Light snow (expect to turn to rain within the hour)

Air Temp 1.6C

DP -1C

dl

13.40 update

icy snow (I was wrong re. rain within the hour!)

Air Temp 1.7C

DP 0C

dl

Posted

This afternoon will see further spells of rain and wet snow spreading eastwards across the county, with a light covering of snow likely over north-eastern parts of the county and over hills elsewhere. However, by around 6pm, any remaining wet snow is likely to turn to rain as slightly milder air arrives from the west. The first half of tonight will then have rain. The rain is likely to clear eastwards by 1am, leaving it drier but cold with clear spells developing. RSTs are then likely to drop below zero quite widely after about 3am with icy stretches. Dry tomorrow morning. this the forcast for somerset that we have just received

Posted

The reason it is falling as snow and not rain is because the SE breeze is dragging in dry cold air allowing the snow to reach ground level despite fairly high air temperatures in places. Ground is still substantially below zero so anything that does fall will settle at the moment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Is it me or is the cold front catching up with the warm front?

Posted

The reason it is falling as snow and not rain is because the SE breeze is dragging in dry cold air allowing the snow to reach ground level despite fairly high air temperatures in places. Ground is still substantially below zero so anything that does fall will settle at the moment

Thank you, I did wonder why. In which case I have tons of snow hovering over me at the moment, infact we all do. :D

I am in Bridgwater for those that have asked.

Posted

Is it me or is the cold front catching up with the warm front?

It sure is, as forecast, it then becomes an occluded front, it'l help later for those further east as there wont be a warm sector

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Seems the snow proper has arrived, small flakes with moderate intensity and starting to stick/pitch/build.

Posted

Snow starting to pitch here now but its very fine snow hopping for bigger flakes then might be able to get a few cm's before it turns to rain.. I'll still be happy if it does that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Still snowing in Weston with a light dusting.

Temp 0.2c

Dewpoint -1.8c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

It sure is, as forecast, it then becomes an occluded front, it'l help later for those further east as there wont be a warm sector

So it won't help us in the SW then?

Posted

You want to keep the fine small flakes as bigger flakes come when the dewpoint is rising and the flakes get wetter and start to stick together. The longer the snow flakes are dry the more you will get.

Posted

You want to keep the fine small flakes as bigger flakes come when the dewpoint is rising and the flakes get wetter and start to stick together. The longer the snow flakes are dry the more you will get.

Thanks for the info I didn't know this :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Yep - small snow makes big snow, big snow makes small snow as the saying goes :)