Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Regional Discussion Thread Part 3

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

By the way, I do like the fact that so many in here have clairvoyant capabilities.

Oh dear....I've been rumbled....

post-10773-0-14855700-1328737804_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I must live in a different Newbury to you. We had about a cm on Saturday night and between 6 and 8 inches in Dec 2010 with some places on Greenham Common over a foot deep.

As for the event this Thursday night it's wait and see for me. Everything was looking positive last Saturday only for the dew points to rise rapidly and the wind direction to change tack to a poor direction for snow. 20 miles north and it was a much better outcome.

Joneseye, I'm sure you didn't mean to come across rudely but my same town did indeed produce pushing on 2 inches, albeit this was witnessed in the very early hours of sunday morning. :search: This of course melted pretty rapidly during Sunday. Furthermore, my weather station recorded 8mm (an hour's worth of light rain included) on Sunday as the melting took place. On that basis, you do the maths and you'll see I'm correct. :good:

December 2010 was a definite letdown for the Wash Common area of Newbury with no more than 2 inches during any one event, being the best total I can see on my records. Mind you, even that is better than that achieved so far on the coast but hopefully for them, that is about to change. :good:

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

It's not clairvoyance - it's knowing that on the south coast our average/mean temperatures are warmer than those inland therefore what is a snow event for many is a rain event for us. No magic, no qualification from Hogwarts needed - just common sense! 8)

Indeed, some common sense is required and if this miracle of god does happen, I leave it upon you to be the first to inform us all. :rofl:

If only I had the knowledge that you lot possess, as I could confidently predict that those upcoming lottery numbers will NOT be mine and I would thereby have saved so much money during this time. ;)

Regards

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Indeed, some common sense is required and if this miracle of god does happen, I leave it upon you to be the first to inform us all. :rofl:

If only I had the knowledge that you lot possess, as I could confidently predict that those upcoming lottery numbers will NOT be mine and I would thereby have saved so much money during this time. ;)

Regards

gottolovethisweather

So, yesterday the glass was half full of optimism? Today it's half full of sarcasm? :/ Sheesh! :p

Posted

So, yesterday the glass was half full of optimism? Today it's half full of sarcasm? :/ Sheesh! :p

Remember that in the top right corner of the screen if you click on your profile you can 'manage ignore prefs'. Many on my list have posted well over a 1000 times.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I would make forecasts for this, but frankly I wouldn't know where to start. All the models are all over the place. So for the time being I'll grab a toastie and appreciate the fact I have no lectures tomorrow :D

Posted

No ice day here today, had a maximum a smidgen over 2C (36F). Even now it is still above freezing at 1C (34F).

Met Office & BBC hardly forecasting any precipitation here now for Thursday night/Friday morning, just light rain in the early hours, everything seems to have been shoved westwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Rain showing on met office for here now after showing snow last night. Just trying to keep the faith but I think it will be rain event.

Posted

Another non event I'm afraid for us further south.

Yep - unless we get a strong North Easterly to blow the showers inland or the holy grail channel low its a non event. Really ******* off that we just missed out last week and look set to this week.

Precip to far west for us according top NAE and the BBC this morning, whats really flipping annoying is 850-1000hpa thickness and dewpoints are all very favourable according to 00z NAE

think I might just get hammered tonight and forget all about it

Posted

Wow met office do not know where to go with this for Bournemouth. In the space of an hour we have gone from at 00.00 snow to sleet to rain back to snow!!!

This I promise is in an hour!! Wow never seen such changes do quickly.

Posted

The model runs this morning are showing this as an excellent event for those that had snow to rain last time.

Don't give up hope, pretty sure we'll all see snow for this one.

As others said, it's mainly the direction it's coming.from this time that is favorable. Last time it was west to east, and the milder air found it easier to penetrate us.

This time it's north to south so the colder air will be more engrained and the front hasn't traveled over the sea to pickup the mildness, so we shouldn't see any incoming mild temps to scupper it - and also the wind looks set to be from an easterly direction on the coasts - so if it stays as it is, it's pretty much a snow event for all.

That's my take on it anyway, I'm not the most experienced model watcher but it's what I've picked up looking at them over the last few days (and today it has really firmed up)

Posted

Wow met office do not know where to go with this for Bournemouth. In the space of an hour we have gone from at 00.00 snow to sleet to rain back to snow!!!

This I promise is in an hour!! Wow never seen such changes do quickly.

I am keeping the faith. I think we will see some this time. The latest NAE's will hopefully continue with the upgrades, and not down grade us. Good luck everyone :)

Posted

I am keeping the faith. I think we will see some this time. The latest NAE's will hopefully continue with the upgrades, and not down grade us. Good luck everyone :)

Fingers crossed! We in the south coast and south west deserve a bit of good luck! I just know I will get a rubbish nights sleep as I keep getting up to have a look out the window!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Fingers crossed! We in the south coast and south west deserve a bit of good luck! I just know I will get a rubbish nights sleep as I keep getting up to have a look out the window!!

LOL, same as divadee, I am extremely nervous, I hope we get 5-10 cm, but ill take 2!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny summers, cold and snowy winters. Traditional seasons please!

We have just had a few light flakes blowing in the wind here in Gosport

A few flakes in the air this morning here too! (I did have to blink a few times to make sure I wasn't imagining it, but they were definitely there!)

Posted

Joneseye, I'm sure you didn't mean to come across rudely but my same town did indeed produce pushing on 2 inches, albeit this was witnessed in the very early hours of sunday morning. :search: This of course melted pretty rapidly during Sunday. Furthermore, my weather station recorded 8mm (an hour's worth of light rain included) on Sunday as the melting took place. On that basis, you do the maths and you'll see I'm correct. :good:

December 2010 was a definite letdown for the Wash Common area of Newbury with no more than 2 inches during any one event, being the best total I can see on my records. Mind you, even that is better than that achieved so far on the coast but hopefully for them, that is about to change. :good:

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

I think we will have to agree to disagree on that one.

December 2010 was a remarkable month with some notable snow events causing significant travel disruption. Last weekend was not even in the same league.

On to tonight the Netweather Forecast driven by the 00Z GFS looks quite interesting. I suspect our office will be very quiet tomorrow if the amount of predicted ppn falls entirely as snow.

Slightly worried by the latest radar from netweather extra - there looks to be some sleet, some rain and a large area of the pennines that is seeing freezing rain! I really hope we don't get freezing rain - that would be awful!

Edited by Joneseye

Posted

Check out the latest posts from John Holmes in the following thread:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/72499-significant-snowfreezing-rain-risk-9-10th-february/page__st__380

Another forecasters nightmare. I think they always are when snow is forecasted in this country.

Posted

This was one of the most sensible posts I did on here yesterday and I advise you to have another look.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/72475-south-central-england-regional-discussion-thread-part-3/page__view__findpost__p__2260102

I am also apologetic about some of my posts which may have been misconstrued as being a little rude. I did not intend to come across as rude but I was attempting to point out to the non-believers or reality freaks on the coast, you COULD get lucky this time. :good: Time will tell and let us all watch the radars bring the precipitation our way, in a hammered state or otherwise. :rofl:

It may well be a case of the WEST being BEST, anyway for now, I'm off to check the lottery.

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Had some very very very light snow I mean very light haha flurries

On the coast, it can't happen there, surely? Can you take a picture as proof. :clap:

Well done and I'm not getting at you, it's just that a few on here have very short memories concerning past snow events. :good:

Keep the posts coming.

gottolovethisweather

Posted

This was posted in the other thread as pointed out by Joneseye and suggests a long period upcoming of potential SNOW and ICE.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/coldweatheralert/

Regards

gottolovethisweather

Posted

I think we will get some snow even if it's just light and patchy we have more chance then last time I would post charts and show you what I think but I'm on my iPod touch :) I'll keep you guys updated