Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & Three Counties Regional Discussion - Part 3

Posted

All I can say is, enjoy people and make the most of it. As usual here on the south coast another washout after week of "will it won't it" ended up with theusual result of - it wont't !!

Posted

Its crazy SAINT they claim they were fully prepared and stock piled around 40.000 tonnes of salt,Untill now they have not been able to spread it,But yet they still only do the bus and main routes,all the b and c roads get nothing. Another money saving scheme over public saftey. Appauling

Even the bus routes and main routes aren't exactly gritted well! When I walked around earlier, all main routes were covered in snow. I did see a gritter, but the grit is suppose to go down before the snow, not during or after. Plus, the gritter did almost crash into the back of a queue of traffic... Sums it up pretty well I think.

Posted
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)

Cheers KW, should all be pushing your way :)

Snowfall rate is really impressive here

Must be getting close to the magical 4 inch mark because you now can't see where the kerb ends and the road starts on both the west and east facing kerbs down our cul-de-sac, and they are 10cms high

TEITS - very much agree although i'm hoping the 18z NAE is overdoing the precip for the next couple of days with a lot more marginality about it. Nothing worse than a rain induced thaw.

On a brighter note though 18z NAE much better for the region with a much wider swathe of 10cm totals now progged - the next level that could be been shown is 20cm....so we're talking widely 10cm+ if you want to take the charts at face value :)

SK

Agreed mate, we are well over 5 inches now and 1 foot drifts. Actually this is much better than I thought it would be!

I think NW Essex, North Hertfordshire seem to be the highest accumulations tonight.

This probably has a lot to do with altitude, as our areas are higher than most places in the South East.

Edited by East Herts Snow

Posted

Even the bus routes and main routes aren't exactly gritted well! When I walked around earlier, all main routes were covered in snow. I did see a gritter, but the grit is suppose to go down before the snow, not during or after. Plus, the gritter did almost crash into the back of a queue of traffic... Sums it up pretty well I think.

grit is useless once there is heavy snowfall it just simply lies on top of it . have to wait till it stops then grit will go down again our roads been gritted but snow simply covered it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Oh well SAINT, about sums up the point then, They talk a good job but never applie it. Anyway what depth you got now and current PPN.

SL

Posted

Oh well SAINT, about sums up the point then, They talk a good job but never applie it. Anyway what depth you got now and current PPN.

SL

Depth of maybe 5 inches... Could be more, I'm judging by eye. PPN has once again picked up here.

Posted

Just about ready to go to bed and now the latest radar suggests a heavier band is now on its way.

Those in the S/E of this region look like having a late night because this snow won't clear in a hurray!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Grit needs two things....the temperature to be above about -5/-6C, and traffic running over it. Doesn't matter how much grit is put down, if no cars are running over it (i.e. night time) then the snow simply lays on top. With plentry of grit down and a few cars over it, it will soon go to a salty, slush mess; the sort that does unbelievable amounts of damage to your car!!

Just to update...moderate snow here, about 2cm/hr. -2.8C and blowing around in the wind....looks Siberian outside!

Edited by suffolkboy_

Posted

It's been coming down pretty nicely, paths are getting a good covering. But the road outside my house isn't, too much traffic me thinks. My two dogs have just had fun in their first ever snowfall, the little one thinks snow is for eating.

Posted
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich

Just been out in the snow with my son, leaving foot prints and generally messing about. 10 mins later all tracks covered with this fine powdery snow is piling up here by the East coast!

Happy lampost watching folks.

Posted

Snowking, looking at the NMM your pretty much in the sweet spot, that model gives you probably somewhere between 14-16cms of snow, so very good event for you!

Just taken a look at that - absolutely, and its very noticeable on the radar echoes around here and heading east that its been slight orographic lift once again. A terrific event this way.

Agreed mate, we are well over 5 inches now and 1 foot drifts.  Actually this is much better than I thought it would be!

I think NW Essex, North Hertfordshire seem to be the highest accumulations tonight.

This probably has a lot to do with altitude, as our areas are higher than most places in the South East.

Yes absolutely agree, we benefit a little from the higher ground when it comes from the east too but it seems to go in to overdrive from the west

Still showing no signs of letting up in intensity either

15cms looks a reasonable bet

SK

Edited by snowking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme seasonal events

Heaviest snow of the night yet, massive flakes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Oh myyyyyyyy heavy 50p snowflakes I hope it lasts!!!

I'm quite happy with fine flakes....large flakes means that the snow is getting wetter!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

The bottom line to all is we have snow and its accumilating. All winter its been well extreme zonal bordam. What ever you get be happy. Then here comes the post to say i have got none.......?.

Posted

I'm quite happy with fine flakes....large flakes means that the snow is getting wetter!!

We did have larger flakes here for a while, but interestingly, it's gone back to lots of small flakes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

snow easing off here in northampton now. still heavy;ish but much finer than earlier. reckon that is the bulk of it now. can't complain. must have a couple of inches of lying snow which looks great. here's hoping its still there to greet me in the morning. Good snow day after all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme seasonal events

heavy snow still falling, 8cm temps 0.0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

Is it me or is the band moving quicker than anticipated? Judging by the last BBC forecast the snow was set to be clearing my region at around 6am but looking at the radar and the speed the band is moving it would clear us by about 4am if not earlier? About 4-5cm here average but drifting in places...surprised how powdery the snow has been as where some areas have been blown around it has left parts of my patio completly clear and bone dry underneath!

Is this band set to slow at some point and it doesnt seem to be the case at present? (Maybe the guys on here with a lot more knowlege could answer that one?)

Still it is nice to see the white stuff even though I have to drive to central london at 6.30am tomorrow morning. :good:

Note: current temp -2 (and has been since around 9pm this evening)