Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Part 5

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Deary deary me. Its all gone pear shaped for the West Midlands while the east gets the

most again! Raining here! Could be game over!

Again? You kidding me ? :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

so it looks like northamptonshire is once again in the firing line. Talk about swapping and changing. If we do get the white stuff it would be great if we get some big flakes this time around rather than the fine stuff. Saying that, I suppose I shouldn't be fussy and consider myself lucky to have a second round of snow. We still have a fair bit of lying snow from last weekend.

Posted

Not too sure what to think for us here. MetO have us down for heavy snow at 6,9 and 12. But I'm not overly confident to be honest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

For goodness sake!...some of you really need to stop being so negative and stop ruining the thread for other folk!

For the west midlands, this particular event was ALWAYS forecasted to start off as rain with a switch over to snow overnight...Whether this switch over will actually happens remains to be seen, but to say it's all over before it's barely started is frankly ridiculous, and for future reference, one liner 'whinge' posts may be deleted

Posted

Deary deary me. Its all gone pear shaped for the West Midlands while the east gets the

most again! Raining here! Could be game over!

lol that's one of the funniest things I've read on here! The East Midlands have generally fared much worse than the West in recent years.....

Bish

Posted

So everyone says ignore the models at this short range, but as soon as a bad run appears, everyone starts following it...

Logical :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

yes c'mon guys, the east midlands has hardly done brilliantly the last few winters. Yes we had snow and ice but I would hardly say we had masses of the stuff, even last December. It's about time we had some serious snow in these parts.

Posted

Moderate falls here now, looking good.

So everyone says ignore the models at this short range, but as soon as a bad run appears, everyone starts following it...

Just try to ignore those posters. You'll get used to them over the years...!

Posted

When the radar supports the model output then this is more likely to be correct. However last night and this morning the radar was vastly different to the model output which is why we have seen a change. If I was honest the radar still suggests more precip towards the NE than the models are predicting. Could see even more snowfall across the E Midlands than the models are suggesting.

Posted

For goodness sake!...some of you really need to stop being so negative and stop ruining the thread for other folk!

For the west midlands, this particular event was ALWAYS forecasted to start off as rain with a switch over to snow overnight...Whether this switch over will actually happens remains to be seen, but to say it's all over before it's barely started is frankly ridiculous, and for future reference, one liner 'whinge' posts may be deleted

Yes very true, the only slight concern though is that because the GFS looks like its done a better job with the milder wedge how long will it take before the air finally makes it to the right side of margina? Precip may already be moving by that point. Just something to keep in mind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Forecast for Leicester upgraded again. Heavy snow 6pm, 9pm, light snow 12am and now also at 3am. I'd like to know where they are getting this from because I look out my window and see nothing, i'll wait till 6pm and see whether there forecast holds up. Heres hoping !

I do actually have a good feeling about tonight for our area. Not sure where from, just the radar looks good and MetO have been very good lately and have put out a good forecast for here, that UKV model must be working wonders.

Edited by kmanmx

Posted

The BIG difference is this run is following what is REALLY happening out there. Previous runs have done a very BAD job with the forecasted region of rain/snow and its only now that the 12z NAE has shifted east that it looks more in line with what is happe ing right NOW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Light rain here in Bewdley, and has been for an hour or so. Temp is falling -- down to 1.1 °C now -- but no sign of sleetiness. No idea what's going to happen tonight -- I just hope at least some people in our glorious region get some snow, even if I don't!

Posted

Light rain on and off here. A waiting and watching game now then.

Posted

Thicker sleet just started in north Nottingham

This surprises me. Proper dry snow here in Newark, settling well, topping up existing cover nicely. I'm sure you'll turn to snow shortly.

Posted

We have light rain here too. Started off as icy pellets around lunchtime. The rain has already turned to snow in some northern parts of England, so hopefully the cold air will head our way, and we'll all end up buried in the white stuff!

Posted

Looking at the current radar the heavier stuff is certainly more to the east.

The precip in the west looks very light and patchy.

Never assume these systems are going to continue on the path they're on now. Most of our snow events come from systems that end up turning, twisting or pivoting! And never assume that there won't be more development. Of course you may end up being right...I wouldn't like to say!

Far far too early to call this a bust at the moment! (Edit: although I'm not saying you are...some others have been though!)

Edited by Gord