Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Part 5

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

As requested :D

NMM model snapshots as of 1900 hours....PPN type, T850's and Dew points

Freezing rain shown for here, I see... I wonder. Rain has stopped, and it's now dry. 0.8 °C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Turned from freezing rain to pure hailstoney-ice pellets now. Is the big chunk of PPN to the north sea what we're looking to pivot and stay over us throughout the night?

Posted

Finally doing something of note in Nottingham. Small flakes though, but beginning to settle on cold ground next to lying snow.

Question is will that band to the east come on a direct southwest track from where it is at present or will it track further south first and go underneath Nottingham.

Posted

Finally doing something of note in Nottingham. Small flakes though, but beginning to settle on cold ground next to lying snow.

Question is will that band to the east come on a direct southwest track from where it is at present or will it track further south first and go underneath Nottingham.

Edit- and all of a sudden the roofs are coated (happened in about 5 mins flat)

Edited by JonMillar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder storms and hot summer days with a cool breeze

Frozen rain falling now in Hartshill. Hopefully will turn to snow as (if) it intensifies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Nothing here. In fact getting brighter.

Mind you I am looking south :80:

You are near Western Park? Whereabouts? My Girlfriend lives just off Park Rise!

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

Turned from freezing rain to pure hailstoney-ice pellets now. Is the big chunk of PPN to the north sea what we're looking to pivot and stay over us throughout the night?

Yes, and it's expected to clear through in the early hours, perhaps 3-4am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

Radar has had greens and even yellows over my postcode over the past two hours but not a flake so far, it really is like a proper snowshield as it's falling south of me once it's gone over :-) How weird, I know there's usually loads of anaprop in cold situations but I've never known this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dramatic

You are near Western Park? Whereabouts? My Girlfriend lives just off Park Rise!

I'm on Hinckley Road near Eco House.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Radar has had greens and even yellows over my postcode over the past two hours but not a flake so far, it really is like a proper snowshield as it's falling south of me once it's gone over :-) How weird, I know there's usually loads of anaprop in cold situations but I've never known this.

It's been here for 4 hours now and still not a flake. According to the accumulation charts.. If all of that had reached the ground we would have about 5cm of snow now!

Posted

Rain coming down quite a bit heavier now....still nothing remotely wintry in it. However, temperatures can't be far from freezing which is a worry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

That's very good news. If it can turn increasingly wintry before the real heavy stuff gets here we'd be looking good! Still just light rain here.

Hopefully you should get something wintry soon, especially as those colder upper temperatures edge further West. Icy rain here started to become a bit sleetier before currently easing off (not bad really considering the upper temperatures are around 0*C/-1*C here), so hopefully another sign that colder air is spilling further West. :)

Posted

Just rain here throughout the night according to bbc weather. Only 8hours ago we were in the firing line.

Posted

Hopefully you should get something wintry soon, especially as those colder upper temperatures edge further West. Icy rain here started to become a bit sleetier before currently easing off (not bad really considering the upper temperatures are around 0*C/-1*C here), so hopefully another sign that colder air is spilling further West. :)

Rain seems well set in now here west of Birmingham. A dissappointing start but not unexpected. Still encouraged by your reports though. It's very early days. Started off on the back foot but may not be a problem as the evening and night wears on.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Just gone and baked some bread, was hoping for some activity by the time i got back, but nope!

Posted

light sleet in Chesterfield, are we too far north to see any decent snowfall?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

just had a look at the NW Radar T850 overlay, and if it is to be believed, then it's bad news for all of the west midlands currently as the milder uppers are encroaching even further eastwards...the T850 Oc boundary is now to the east of Birmingham, going against the model outputs from last night and this morning. That in itself is bad news for West Midlands folk, but this really is a nowcast situation, things can change rapidly and some members will see these rapid changes...Whether the changes are good or bad, only time will tell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Rain coming down quite a bit heavier now....still nothing remotely wintry in it. However, temperatures can't be far from freezing which is a worry.

Our dewpoint is -1.6c!!! Not seen rain at this DP before but shows how the upper air is too warm. However if its sleeting in Birmingham then surely it cant be far away here as things push west.

Ground seems slightly slippery here. Nothing major but rain seems to be freezing a touch.

Edited by Blizzards