Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread Part 3

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

Snow in Wimborne (not much though)

#

Hey hey....I agree - its snoooowing! It is settling at Colehill on the roads. Radar suggests more on the way!

Posted

I'm at a very poor height here, still sleet here.

Gloucester lad, anyone near the canal (Quedgeley/Hardwicke) have this evaporation rate that is a billion times more than other city suburbs. If it settles, ring your boss, lie, thsn enjoy a day off up Haresfield.

Posted

Still raining steadily here - and it's getting hot in my house - heating will click off in a mo - it can't be that cold outside here in SG :fool:

Posted

Why failed? It's way too earlier to write this off yet. Plenty of opportunity to come. From past experience, these things can come back to bite us when least expected (please don't quote me later haha)!

i think our chance is over :L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

The real clue today was the lack of an Amber warning, my head picked up on this but my heart said it was still on.

Actually there was a clue last night when the 18z nae came out and it was badly wrong even at 0h as it showed the precipitation only just edging into the western side of Scotland yet the rainfall radar showed that it was already over to the eastern side, so it was way out from the offset.

Posted

Dry still in Weymouth, but looking at the radar, the two main areas of precipitation appear to be converging towards the area forecast for the south coast, IOW to Lyme Bay.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

moderate in christchurch. Settled on pavements.

where abouts in christchurch are you? not settling here near fairmile!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

where abouts in christchurch are you? not settling here near fairmile!

You must be to far North!!!!! Right on the coast, Avon beach.

Posted

Still steady light rain here.... wind has picked up a bit though. Temperature..... well not bloody cold enough! :fool:

were not going to get anything...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snow

#

Hey hey....I agree - its snoooowing! It is settling at Colehill on the roads. Radar suggests more on the way!

Awesome! Gonna have to go and look again now (I'm in Colehill too!).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

For the sake of the 97 users viewing this thread (including me), I hope to god you're right!

Seriously though, how could the hi res models be so far off so close to the event?

Sigh.... they were/are not. Go look at the NAE high res model over on Weatheronline. You will clearly see that the event is panning out exactly as forecast and people on here are about 12 - 18 hours ahead of themselves.

The problem for us Somerset/Devon folk is that the 06z NAE had most of the precipitation for tomorrow morning falling as snow, but the 12z updated to rain. We need the 18z which comes out soon to switch it back to snow - I think it will be a very close thing down here but further North and East over towards Gloucs and Wilts and the Bristol region it looks very likely it will be snow. Whether it will be heavy enough to lie on wet ground remains to be seen.

Edited by Catacol_Highlander

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Is there a higher chance for Eastern areas of the region to get snow tonight compared to western areas or have the chances dropped off across many areas now?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

i think our chance is over :L

Have faith... these early precip movements are torture but it can turn in a minute. The good thing is that we haven't had any significant rainfall, which is luck tbh, but the ground here is still pretty dry so I think it's perfect conditions for a good covering :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snow

I love how dark it is in our road, but we don't have a lampost handy for this sort of occasion! It's actually very hard to see whether it's snowing from inside at night. We have an outside light, but it's under the porch - you can get a clue if you look carefully.

Posted

Have faith... these early precip movements are torture but it can turn in a minute. The good thing is that we haven't had any significant rainfall, which is luck tbh, but the ground here is still pretty dry so I think it's perfect conditions for a good covering :D

if it ever turns up..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: excessive

nothing at the lampost as of yet lol

Posted

Just been updated. http://www.metoffice..._medium=twitter

An area of snow over parts of east and southeast England later on Thursday will continue to extend steadily southwestwards into central and some southwestern parts of England, as well as the east of Wales.

Edited by dancing daisy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Hi everyone. I thought there was always a chance that this event could start as rain turning to snow through the night. It seems obvious that there has been some eastward shift so to the west you are probably going to get rain for a bit longer before it turns to snow later, the fact parts of East Dorset are getting snow is simply they are in the colder air. My daughter has just text me to say it is now snowing in the New Forest so don't fret it is on it's way!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Is there a higher chance for Eastern areas of the region to get snow tonight compared to western areas or have the chances dropped off across many areas now?

The heaviest snow is forecast for 0000 to 1200 across the region, and Wiltshire looks set to receive most of what it will get between 0000 and 0600. I am still assuming it will be a very borderline event though - whether it sticks is open to question. Only time will tell.