Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Autumn Weather Discussion

J10

Posted

Is it just my eyes deceiving me at this early hour or is there a wintry component to these heavy showers? It's difficult to make out in the streetlights. It certainly feels cold when I stick my head out the door.

Edit: it definitely isn't my eyes playing tricks; it's now sleeting heavily. Here's Dowlais just a short while ago. Snowing heavily up there. If it were 3C colder this would be December 21st 2009 all over again. The setup is almost identical.

post-160-0-28095000-1351754383_thumb.jpg

post-160-0-60170300-1351754392_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Great stuff looks lovely up there!

Posted

Did the nae not have the shading for Friday though?

Posted

Bah I went for showers turning wintry over the hills of Wales in my guide too.

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Very low pressure has aided the hill snow this morning, 976mbar here, that lowers the 850 s .

Posted

Light dusting of snow above 350 meters here in the amman valley at dawn, has thawed now however.

Posted

reports of snow coming out of those hefty looking showers crossing Ireland at the moment! - could well be heading our way later!

edit:- electrical activity now moving up the Bristol channel and off the coast of Ireland

edit 2:- Black skies out to the west - just what will fall?

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Heavy hail falling now over Swansea ,looks like a good covering of snow over high ground of Wales tonight.

Posted

Hi there!

I'm on holiday in Brecon again and there's snow on Pen-y-Fan and some of the other mountains round here this morning. Beautiful!

Hope there will be some more snow showers overnight!

Emma

Posted

heavy rain with some wet snow in now

edit:- could be interesting later if the temp and dewpoint are only just a little high to support snow now - could be game on!

alot more pink blobs on the nae

12110118_0112.gif

have a look at saturday morning also -

12110312_0112.gif

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Wow, that's a lot of showers moving through Ireland and towards us currently.

Andy, did you see Derek's lunchtime forecast on the BBC? We were right under a big white blob for through a part of tonight, the Heads of the Valleys were mentioned as being in line for a little snow.

Posted

Wow, that's a lot of showers moving through Ireland and towards us currently.

Andy, did you see Derek's lunchtime forecast on the BBC? We were right under a big white blob for through a part of tonight, the Heads of the Valleys were mentioned as being in line for a little snow.

missed that - but it looks like we could be in for a snowy evening alright!

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Ahh the only thing about being on the coast is missing these chances for snow!! Hope to get some here over winter or when I go back home to Bridgend for xmas!!

Posted

Ahh the only thing about being on the coast is missing these chances for snow!! Hope to get some here over winter or when I go back home to Bridgend for xmas!!

I wouldn't worry too much this year - I think winter is gonna deliver in buckets - take this from the GFS - keeps bringing up similar northerly outbreaks - this one half way through this month - colder so more effective

Rtavn3841.png

edit:- showers now starting to get organised - here we go!

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe disruptive snow or any other severe weather!

Hey guys, first post this winter got to say been lurking early this year, i didnt think anything was forecast seems to have come out the blue. Is there really a chance of a few flakes? Im hoping for a good few dumps of the white stuff this year :) theres hoping anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

oh just to let you know, heres a thread that talks about the snow events that favour wales...

Posted

2012 is by far shortest gap I can remember between snow falling - April 5th to November 1st. That's not to be sniffed at in parts of Scotland, let alone South Wales.

It's also the earliest day with snow falling I have recorded (old date was November 20th, 2004) in my little weather diary, which goes back eight years. October 2003 may have seen a few grains, but I can't be certain.

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted

Had some sleet this afternoon also, if the temp gets down cold enough tonight wouldnt be surprised to see a smattering in the valleys with some more noteable accumulation over the beacons 2-5cm possible above 500m I'de say.

Posted

Surprised to experience a heavy sleet shower just in Carmarthen as the temp is 4c.

Posted

Walking the dogs this morning was the coldest I've felt since December 2010. Probably due to the wind and rain adding to the chilly temperatures.

Great to see the white stuff in Wales so early on. There seems to be a very seasonal feel to things at the moment i.e. it feels like a proper Autumn. Things cooling down nicely for the winter.

Nice to see the nae maps Andy posted come true. Hopefuly we'll be seeing a lot more of that.

Edited by Cwmbran Eira

Posted

Great to hear the reports of unusually early snow in parts! Some higher parts certainly in for a covering tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

good luck to all you guys hope you see some more snow showers tonight

C.S

Posted

Another sleet shower passing through. I'm expecting them to turn to snow as the night drags on, but not holding out hope for anything settling at this altitude. May have to wait a few weeks for that.