Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Autumn Weather Discussion

J10

Posted

Great to read so many snow reports today and see the thread come alive. Winter is coming! Also confounds my scepticism earlier in the week, just goes to show that 850hPA temps aren't everything.

Cold rain here. Very cold rain, temp hovering around 2 degrees, dewpoint sub-zero. It looks a bit sleety, but on closer examination I think it is just bits of ice/hail mixed in. Will be interesting to see if there's a dusting on the hills tomorrow; I didn't notice anything this morning but then again I wasn't really looking.

Posted

everything's turning white - hail storm - phenominal!

edit:- mixed in with sleet/snow

Edited by andymusic

reports of snow coming out of those hefty looking showers crossing Ireland at the moment! - could well be heading our way later!

edit:- electrical activity now moving up the Bristol channel and off the coast of Ireland

edit 2:- Black skies out to the west - just what will fall?

At around 3pm the clouds were really dark here as well. Looked very thundery.

Posted

ok - now we got thunder and lightning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snow/sleet/hail/thunder/lightning -

just waiting for the cats and dogs and the kitchen sink now lol

Edited by andymusic

Posted

which way is this band of rain/sleet/snow going?

W/NW to E, but if you're in Southwest England there's no cause for panic; plenty of further showers building in the Celtic Sea.

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

Nothing much here in Cardiff although cold and raining, can't see any flashing either! :(

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Great to read so many snow reports today and see the thread come alive. Winter is coming! Also confounds my scepticism earlier in the week, just goes to show that 850hPA temps aren't everything.

Nor has it been down to dew points they have been well above zero, all down to the very low pressure, hence thickness is very conducive at below 512 dam,and also the 850 level a lot lower due to low pressure.

Posted

next bit of snow fun - saturday - latest nae

12110312_0112.gif

wanna see loads of snow - film ITV4 - Where Eagles Dare on right now!!!!!!!!

starring good old Welsh boy from Port Talbot Richard Burton!

Edited by andymusic

Posted

W/NW to E, but if you're in Southwest England there's no cause for panic; plenty of further showers building in the Celtic Sea.

could i get something in somerset, we had sleet earlier :)

Posted

Oops silly me! Ta Julian. Even more surprising snow should fall then, none of the parameters seem to be in place?

Oops silly me! Ta Julian. Even more surprising snow should fall then, none of the parameters seem to be in place?

As mentioned in the thread, it does get very confusing, I think we all have made that mistake some time.

Today certainly is cold (at least compared to recently), but looking at the parameters for snow, it looked completely odds against. I have been popping in a bit more recently and noticed the wintriness forecast for the Beacon and thoughts that was about the extent of it.

So go that one wrong, was not expecting any snow at reasonable high ground.

Posted

saturday afternoon

12110318_0118.gif

"any reports of any snow/sleet still falling?" 124alex

most of the "major" showers have now moved through and out of Wales - so all quiet for now - may improve later into the night and into tomorrow though - next major possibility of wintry showers are saturday according to the nae charts

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Bit milder following the last trough, 5.4c here.

Posted

some meaty looking showers heading our way on radar - chilly outside - let's see what's in store for us again this evening

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Had a thundery shower very early this morning with a flash of lightning and hail

Posted

Just had a very heavy sleety shower here on the edge of the Beacons, if temp decreases as night goes on then who knows.

Posted

Andy i cannot a message to you message board full.

ok I'll clear out some messages for ya - sorry!

Keeping my eye on that "rogue" low that is gonna barrel across Wales tomorrow morning - GFS has us under some low temps around 1c or 2c between 6am and 12am and the low is expected to produce heavy precip - could well mean some wintry stuff and heavy - mountain forecast suggests 600 - 800 metres or above for wintry precip - but I've got a hunch it could be lower than that in the heavier stuff - we'll see!

Posted

Andy - NMM this morning backs up the GFS track of that low, so cold temps and wintry potential, definitely something to keep an eye on (if there is snow anywhere tomorrow it will be Wales). Having said that, uppers of just -1c not really conducive to snow at low levels, as an example I woke up to rain/hail here last night, checked the temp and it was 0.4c with a dewpoint below -1c, so very cold but still not snow. The snow for some places earlier this week shows that under the correct low pressure and heavy precip conditions that snow is possible even when unexpected. Will be interesting watching.