Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Autumn Weather Discussion

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe disruptive snow or any other severe weather!

Dont know whether any one has mentioned this but i can see snow towards the beacons, is this a sign of things to come or false hope. Nice to see the first snow of the season from my front door nonetheless even if its not by me. Any updates with this low tommorow ?

Posted

Dont know whether any one has mentioned this but i can see snow towards the beacons, is this a sign of things to come or false hope. Nice to see the first snow of the season from my front door nonetheless even if its not by me. Any updates with this low tommorow ?

At the moment the models are all over the place regarding the low - gfs 6z now places the low further south - won't really be nailed on until the morning I think with all this tooing and froing - snow on the Beacons may well be increased with tomoz's low plus staying reasonably cold up till about tuesday - then we have a slight "milder" blip to contend with - still not bbq weather but milder - long term models at the moment aren't really prog anything majorly cold just yet - but there are mutterings for the end of november into december for something exciting! - just keep watching those models - and any joe b tweets - everything could switch over very quickly!

Posted

At the moment the models are all over the place regarding the low - gfs 6z now places the low further south - won't really be nailed on until the morning I think with all this tooing and froing - snow on the Beacons may well be increased with tomoz's low plus staying reasonably cold up till about tuesday - then we have a slight "milder" blip to contend with - still not bbq weather but milder - long term models at the moment aren't really prog anything majorly cold just yet - but there are mutterings for the end of november into december for something exciting! - just keep watching those models - and any joe b tweets - everything could switch over very quickly!

Does mention snow for mountains of Wales Sunday morning as we drag North winds down the UK as the low moves eastwards could well see some sleet to lower levels in north Wales as it passes eastwards..

Posted

Im sure i can see some wet flakes in the last few showers unless my eyes are playing tricks on me again like last winter haha. It does seem a lot colder this time around compared to last year, lets hope the cold keeps building and we can tap into it, also any mild spelss are short lived.

Posted

Im sure i can see some wet flakes in the last few showers unless my eyes are playing tricks on me again like last winter haha. It does seem a lot colder this time around compared to last year, lets hope the cold keeps building and we can tap into it, also any mild spelss are short lived.

I think it's mainly hail in the rain - that's what we're having up here!

edit:- comment now not on Wales weather but north america - apparently there is another storm brewing aimed at new jersey again - high winds 40 - 60mph and very cold - snow in parts again - Joe B very concerned for all those without power/heating already - could cause major problems - apparently around wednesday this week

Edited by andymusic

Posted

I think it's mainly hail in the rain - that's what we're having up here!

just my wishful thinking then, seems so long since the last decent snowfall its causing snow me to have snow hallucinations.

Posted

Yes there's snow (or at least whiteness, could conceivably be soft hail that happened a few times last winter) on the Cambrian peaks this morning as well as the Brecons but only above about 500m. I went rafting in the Brecons this morning and it was beautiful with the snow on the peaks and a fast river flowing along the valley. Water was cold mind.

Currently a mixed rain/hail shower here with a temp of 4.0c and dp just above 1c. Pretty brrr for the first week of Nov - though it got up to 9.5c during the sunshine earlier (or so my weather station claims, I certainly didn't feel that warm!).

Posted

mega heavy hailstones storm here - golf ball size (almost) - everything's gone white again!

Edit:- empire strikes back on the tv - weather strikes back outside - amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wonder where this is leading us considering we got this low tomoz - with the cold already here and a cold night ahead - as the low moves in - it could be great for the snow fanatics!

edit:- think I just heard thunder - not surprising with the size of hail we had!

and another mega hail shower!

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

I cycled out to Wales on Thursday and stayed in the hills just west of Knighton. Yesterday morning there were some heavy snow showers and I was caught in one up on Beacon Hill (547m). Here are some pictures:

post-2951-0-71409900-1351960232_thumb.jp

post-2951-0-89858200-1351960236_thumb.jp

post-2951-0-42534500-1351960240_thumb.jp

Posted

more thunder and loads more hail! - what an afternoonclapping.gif

edit:- think I'll join you ICE Queen - cheers!drinks.gif

edit:- thunder now every couple of minutes

and another clap of thunder - no lightning yet!

more thunder - alot closer

edit:- looks like more to come out in the bristol channel as well

Edited by andymusic

Defiantly getting a wintery feel, time for a baileys tonight smile.png

Any excuse rofl.gif

After a dry and mostly sunny morning, some very heavy showers with some sleet mixed in around 2-3pm. Definitely icy and not hail (maybe soft hail though)

However from around 4pm, there was a vicious hailstorm at the footy, giving a hail covering on all surfaces, but thawed due to tyre tracks and footprints, so very slippy underfoot, To add to that one or two flashes of thunder and lightning, so a wintry storm today. Back home now some cars covered in hail, with plenty of hail around, but definitely thawing. Temps around 2-3c. and another lightning flash as I writing this.

Edited by Jackone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Defiantly getting a wintery feel, time for a baileys tonight smile.png

Come on, IQ. Just admit it!rofl.giffool.gifgood.gif

Posted

reports of snow up in Tredegar - Heads of the valleys

I think the nae called this one pretty good a couple of days ago!

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Lol, auto correct, that's how my iPad wanted to spell it ( safeguard ) tease.gif good job it didn't offer anything inappropriate ( which usually happens )

That's okay then...good.gif

I can't abide 'predictive text'. You never know what it'll predict!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

hail here....and thunder then power went out...now stopped

Posted

hope you're ok Sam - sounds nasty - Meto now have warnings out for England only for this rogue barreling low - up to 60mph winds in places - so they don't think we are gonna feel the effects of this low at all in Wales - we shall have to see - let's keep our eyes on the radar - already appearing now below Penzance!

edit:- you can see it coming in better on Sat 24 - http://www.sat24.com/?culture=en

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Some heavy hail showers here this afternoon, and thought I heard a distant rumble of thunder about 2pm. Looking at the radar I'm in between two bands of showers at the moment so perhaps more to come later on...

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Saw a flash in the distance your way about that time Sam, also saw one driving back from the Midlands late this afternoon past Brecon, was not sure if it was a firework, but the Netweather radar ATD replay confirmed lightning in the area then along with the reports in here! Also a sleet shower between Brecon and Sennybridge the same time (1730). Sam's shower then gave us heavy hail around 2100 which turned to light sleet and rain, 2c.