Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Part 8

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

In previous years, if there is going to be a lot of rain over north Wales where the cachment area is that flows into the River Severn (River Vyrnwy?), we usually get flooding all the way down the Severn starting with Shrewsbury, the working its way southwards, through Bewdley, Worcester, Upton on Severn, Gloucester. I'm thinking that's why we've been singled out for the Amber warning because of that and I guess the river is already running high due the rain the other day, Especially watching that BBC reporter on the news on the River Stour, last week it was very low, now it's burst its banks, and that was before today's deluge.

Other half has to travel to Wales (Cardiff way) later today, not looking forward to that!

Edited to add: It's chucking it down in Malvern right now, very heavy rain and strong wind as well. I notice the Amber area has expanded on the METO map to include more of the Severn area:

"Parts of Shropshire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire and Gloucestershire look especially vulnerable to river flooding. "

Edited by Barbmac

Posted

I don't know if the rest of you have floated away on all this water but we've had at least 3/4 of an inch here and it's still pelting down. Have been checking road news for Other Half's journey later, appear to be trees down in many places, especially SE Wales where he's going, but even in Malvern there's a tree reported down on one of the roads. I think we're more protected from the NEly here, tucked into the west side of the Hills.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Yes an inch in places seems likely, with consequent flooding.

12-13mm up to 10am in Coventry and Rugby.

Posted

15 mm here so far, pretty windy, pressure still falling.

Posted

A horrible cold wet day, literally not got above 4.5c yet! crazy cold for the end of April.

No shocks that the one nice day of the week tommorow is now downgrading with the hook of the low set to keep the dreich over us till mid afternoon laugh.png

Looks like the worst weather in the UK over here this week, really dissapointing after a whole month now of cloudy cold weather but nothing can be done.

Edited by conor123

Posted

Where is this expected to move to? It looks like around here is in the area with lower intensity, for now..

Posted

After a very brief lull, it's bucketing down again... only 3oC here... brrrr.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Looks as though the Rivers Avon and Isbourne will break there banks later today. Just outside our house!fool.gif

Posted

Looks as though the Rivers Avon and Isbourne will break there banks later today. Just outside our house!fool.gif

Oh dear, does that mean you'll get flooded?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Oh dear, does that mean you'll get flooded?

No thankgoodness, as we were not flooded in 2007 and of course this flooding is not as serious "Yet" as then, but still concerning for some folk I would imagine!

Posted

Here's a good link to alot of the country's rivers webcams.

Looks like the Avon is very high all along it's length!!

http://www.hamptonferry.co.uk/avon/evesham/live.php

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

A bit wild out their at the moment, although not quite as windy as I thought. Was generally stronger earlier on, though. Strangely enjoying this weather today, despite not being keen on frontal rain unless it is heavy like it is now. Probably had around 15 to 20mm so far with some more to come. Feeling cool as well with the temperature around 5*C. Had this been January or February, this probably would have fallen as heavy snow, though the Low may not have been quite as powerful.

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Posted

lol probably colder than the majority of your maxs in the past winter.

Yeah but today's max is likely this evening when it should reach 10c. Quite an impressively cool late April afternoon though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Quite windy here and perhaps the windiest of the whole winter as we are much more exposed from winds to the East than West here. A horrible, cold day. Seriously, you cannot enjoy this over a warm sunny day. I seriously dont expect any improvement until June at least tbh.

Posted

Sudden strong gust of wind broke through. Kinda came out of nowhere.

The rain not quite as heavy as it was about 20 minutes ago either. Edit: A drier area seems to be quickly approaching from the South-East according to the radar and looking as though it is starting to clear the far South-East of the Midlands. :)

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Posted

Quite windy here and perhaps the windiest of the whole winter as we are much more exposed from winds to the East than West here. A horrible, cold day. Seriously, you cannot enjoy this over a warm sunny day. I seriously dont expect any improvement until June at least tbh.

I am enjoying it, seeing if records get broken, etc, just disappointed I am in the rain shadow for a change with just 5mm so far today!

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Here's a good link to alot of the country's rivers webcams.

Looks like the Avon is very high all along it's length!!

http://www.hamptonfe...vesham/live.php

Great images! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I am enjoying it, seeing if records get broken, etc, just disappointed I am in the rain shadow for a change with just 5mm so far today!

99% of the time here is suffering from the effects of the rain shadow so at least its a role reversal for a change!

Posted

Main rain area now cleared through the central and south-east Midlands, just some patchy drizzly stuff following on. Between half and one inch for most though.

Posted

Not had anywhere near as much rain as most other parts of the Midlands here today, mostly just dark and drizzly, temperature now at 5.6c which is the maximum so far today!

The hook of the low looks even further east than forecast so just watch it stay cloudy and horrid till 4pm tommorow as always then a washout the rest of the week :lol:

My gosh this month has been bleak, it may even beat July 2010 for my most hated month of weather ever :lol:

Edited by conor123

Posted

With most of the rainy conditions cleared away, wonder if there will be some breaks in the pesky cloud before some of those heavy showers to the South/South-East reach here. But it does look a bit stubborn, however, although at the the same time, it looks a little brighter to the East and South-East.

Edit: Started to get a teeny bit brighter, but it's got a teeny bit darker again. Give up cloud and go haunt another place. :lol: ;-)

Edit 2: Some of the showers seem to be losing their intensity a bit with less green/pale green blobs showing up in them. :( Starting raining again now.

Edit 3: Got heavier now. Also gone quite dark, too.

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

With most of the rainy conditions cleared away, wonder if there will be some breaks in the pesky cloud before some of those heavy showers to the South/South-East reach here. But it does look a bit stubborn, however, although at the the same time, it looks a little brighter to the East and South-East.

Edit: Started to get a teeny bit brighter, but it's got a teeny bit darker again. Give up cloud and go haunt another place. laugh.png ;-)

Edit 2: Some of the showers seem to be losing their intensity a bit with less green/pale green blobs showing up in them. sad.png Starting raining again now.

Edit 3: Got heavier now. Also gone quite dark, too.

The main reason that the showers are losing their intensity is that they are moving into some relatively stable air....We are in the immediate post frontal air mass and at the moment over the midlands there is little energy or instability...I would also hazard a guess that the moisture profiles are pretty saturated throughout the atmosphere dampening any convection