Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - May 2012 Part 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I will be in Derby this afternoon after which I can either race back home to see something, stay where I am or drive the opposite way into the West Mids.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

A bit unexpected, but always welcome the chance of some thundery showers.

Posted

TORRO haven't issued a forecast?

Lol! That's wierd...Torro's forecast map, for Monday 30th April/Tues 1st May, does resemble Estofex's for today hence why I think there's been some confusion.

What's your latest thoughts Dan (for the SE/EA)? I'm looking at the models and not seeing a great deal of chance for the SE tbh...anything due to develop over France/channel looks as if it's going to swing past Kent into the N Sea. Anything developing over the SW/Midlands will track N or NE on a fairly brisk S/SW breeze.

CAPE levels based on the GFS model appear rather suppressed, although I do wonder whether this is on the basis the skies will stay largely cloudy...does anyone have access to the MLCAPE values?

Have to say I am somewhat surprised the MetO haven't put a yellow warning out for Wales...potential for some significant rainfall in a short space of time, and with tourists likely to be out in the national parks on this Bank Holiday Monday a heightened risk of some dangerous conditions IMO.

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather
good.gif and we are off ,just sat outside between two pulses of rain ,but now just throwing it down , nothing spectacular but more than i expected .thanks again to the posters with the information which makes interesting reading ,looking foreward to later today ,lets hope it kicks off . and of course the big event /rainfall wise wed /thurs whos going to get the most ,north of M4 or south of it ,but of course it could all fall ON IT . m4 becomes a river .best of luck gang .drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

TORRO haven't issued a forecast?

My mistake then, though usually Torro gives out tornado warnings at a drop of a hat so they are abit slow today. I didn't think to look at the date on there forecast.

Posted

For those on Twitter, if you do spot any severe weather today (or in fact at any point), you can now report it with a tweet and have it plotted on our national weather alert map. More info here:

http://bit.ly/Iqcqed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

A pretty good spread over Ireland now! Sferics from a lot of the showers!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

absolute corker from knowhere ,at 1.30 pm 5 min ago 2 loud bangs nothing on radar probably just kicked of , gone humid ,just had a look on radar again and cells are popping up across s/west tracking n/east , there could be some interesting action later this afternoon .with a bigger band moving north and n /east across our area late aft /even cheers all .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

plenty of action for our brethren over in Ireland....the lightning detector is lit up like a christmas tree!

Posted

Yeah, heard a rumble of thunder from a nice littlw storm taht passed over Weston around 1-1.30pm.

Posted

Looks to be sferics around North Devon.

Posted

Lightning detected on two cells North of Swindon

Edited by SteveB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

No Thunder but some minor flash flooding from a cell that passed over at around 2pm. Very heavy rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I'm surprised there aren't more sferics in that huge mass of ppn around Bristol-South Wales-North Devon. Some quite deep echoes on the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

Posted on UKWW by Matt D:

Posted 07 May 2012 - 15:48

A couple of fairly lively TS developing across the southern half of Gloucestershire now between Dursley in the west and Lechlade in the east. Radar signatures suggest the cells are well being well ventillated with streams of lighter precip blowing away rapidly NEwards from two intense hail cores where lightning is rather frequent at the moment.

Cells are developing in an area of reasonably strong low level shear (surface winds still backed to the SE here). If anyone is in the area, keep an eye out for large hail, wall clouds, a funnel or even a weak tornado.

Posted

In the sky. To the South West!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

just posted the following in the Midlands thread, probably of relevance here as well so 'scuse' the double post smile.png

hate to say it but cloud cover could well be the killer for thunderstorms in the west midlands today....plenty of cloud spilling up from the SW dampening down convection with no clear spots upwind of us on satellite imagery, I guess there's a chance of some embedded activity from the stuff streaming up from South Wales....More chance IMO for the east and south midlands, already two lively thunderstorms have popped up in the extreme south of the region in some clearer but unstable air, these will continue streaming NEwards as the afternoon/evening progresses....As already posted in the convective thread, these cells have plenty of energy and more especially LLS & DLS to play with, keeping the updrafts nice and clear with PPN fanning out ahead of the cores, the shear thus helping these cells regenerate and aid longevity.....Wouldn't surprise me for these and any other storms to rival the fabled May 9th storm of last year in terms of intensity & lightning as synoptics look locally very helpful

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

So close...but probably no cigar here in Oxford! I did hear a rumble though which made me check the radar...

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

A pair of beauties not far from Oxford.biggrin.png

Looking super-cellular those two, wouldn't be surprised to hear of funnel reports or even a tornado..