Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - May 2012 Part 2

Posted

That cell may be a low topped supercell. The shear environment it is in combined with the radar echo would suggest it might be. If anyone can see the top look for the slight overshoot.

if you are talking about the cell that passed over Bicester Oxfordshire it looked very supercell type to me lots of circulation / convection in the base see a wall cloud may have been a brief tornado in Stratton Audley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I would say given it's radar signature and longevity their would be hail despite the unfavourable conditions you mention.

agreed, gpspete has confirmed plenty of hail...damn I wish I could see the structure of this storm, it's a beauty on radar, and long lived to boot, it's been regenerating for over 3 hours now...

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

This storm definitely appears to have super cell characteristics, on approach the clouds were shifting into the storm from the south east, when the base was close there were scud and low level formations swirling in all different directions, now it's passing the clouds are shifting towards the south east, complete 180" rotational switch. Rain and pea sized hail hit in odd waves, one minute it was hammering down the next dry again. To my south east as it cleared I saw what looked like a wall cloud at the most southerly point of precipitation and lots of scud and what appeared to be brief funnel formations at a 45-60 degree angle from the rear lowering.and some very odd movement.

Posted

Wow nice, I've never seen hail fog in the UK before.

I'm desperate for a good storm here but it's just not happening.

Did you get any pics?

it caught me unaware was not weather watching went out in car got some video footage will check to see what i have got when at work tonight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

if you are talking about the cell that passed over Bicester Oxfordshire it looked very supercell type to me lots of circulation / convection in the base see a wall cloud may have been a brief tornado in Stratton Audley

Yes, that's the one Pete...have been following on radar and have tracked its origin..It actually fired 6 hours ago near Honiton, Devon...quite astonishing!!

Yes, that's the one Pete...have been following on radar and have tracked its origin..It actually fired 6 hours ago near Honiton, Devon...quite astonishing!!

That's about a 150 mile track so far!

Posted

Large hail, Dave.

Apologies, misread your original post. Your points are certainly valid and I would agree re large hail. smile.png

Torro going for possible 10-15mm in diameter though. I think the sustained nature of the updrafts here being of note.

http://www.torro.org...te/forecast.php

Edit: To be fair to you as well ESTOFEX specifically say small hail.

Edited by dave48

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine & Snow
Edited by Delta Sun

Posted

hmm...in this country I'd consider 15mm to be large hail, that's marble sized...we're not talking US Plains type hail here, well, at least I wasn't

just to clarify, when I said 'large hail' I was referring to lots of it, as opposed to great big blocks of ice falling out of the sky...lol

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

great footage good.gif .....lovely capture of that rotation, not something you see every day in the UK!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

we had some medium sized hail this afternoon ,but i did notice quite a few lumps of it were almost melted ,very sleet looking ,very odd extreme rain lasting about a minute then total calm ,clouds moving in all directions as is normal in this set up but just seemed to notice it more . this heavy rain now approaching north devon looks like its increasing in intensity would think south and central wales could cop some flooding ,its also showing signs of edging a bit further east as well . just had a look on radar and a few cells popping up across east cornwall ,any thoughts gang on that blob off cornwall will it track further east or keep going north or n/e ,cheersdrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine & Snow

Have to ask, that footage hasn't been speeded up, has it? If not, that's some proper rotation going on there, OMG. Nice one.

Credits to the person who took the video. But I can confirm this was real-time footage.

great footage good.gif .....lovely capture of that rotation, not something you see every day in the UK!

Exactly!good.gif

Edited by Delta Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe

I'm looking at travelling up from Bristol to hopefully catch a glimpse of this storm in Glouster is it pretty much still alive and kicking?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

I've saved all the Netweather radar images from 12:20 onwards and put them together in a short video.

I know the radar has it's own animation, but even on the fastest setting it's a bit slow.

Produce_0.mpg

Quality isn't that good, had to keep it under 4mb.

Edited by multi cellular thunderstorm

Posted

Just seen another video of that storm - looked and acted very much like a supercell to me. Proper mesocylone with bigtime rotation... unbelievable!

come on, chop chop, share and share alike, we all want to see.... where's the link? laugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

You can clearly see the mesocyclone's rotation affecting the surface, with trees being ripped around and debris flying through the air.

Note: not my footage (unfortunately).

Absolutely breath-taking. Loving the look of those dark structures of the cloud too. :D

Posted

It still looked like this as it moved away from MK, was to far away and the view to my east was obscured by the shopping center, so was unable to tell if the meso was in contact with the ground, but it was spawning rapidly rotating scud suckers and short lived funnel clouds.

On another note, there are a couple of potent cells developing close to MK at the minute, one to the north the other to the south, both have low dark bases and look like throwing out sferics at any time.

Edited by SnowJoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

That video is amazing! Thanks for sharing.

I've uploaded the radar sequence from 12:20 onwards to YouTube, the quality wasn't good enough on here.

Edited by multi cellular thunderstorm

Posted

No doubt that this was a low-topped supercell close to Oxford, the in/outflow evident on RADAR as is the updraught ahead of the hook where the hail would have been falling. A couple of tasty cells also breaking out west of Dublin in the past hour.

Posted

my very brief video due to having to get in car to avoid rain then heavy marble sized hail

went to Stratton Audley where James and I see a possible roping out tornado after trying to get back under storm (impossible due to traffic and flooding)

was a small amount of minor debris across road small twigs dead leafs etc. more than elsewhere, didn't have time to get a photo at the time or photo on way back as work night shift beckons

Edited by gpspete

Posted

Some very interesting reports of that cell earlier, I was watching it on radar.

Also a pretty active thunderstorm in Ireland recently, quite a lot of lightning strikes:

post-7593-0-29974600-1336416590_thumb.jp

Had a heavy rain shower just now from a developing area of stuff, but nothing thundery down here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

all we had is a lil rain shower and dull overcast skies, bring me the storms! lol

Lucky people in the midlands.