Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Fed Up With Overcast, Rain And Cold?

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Unfortunately, BBC short-range forecast didn't help today, for PM it showed a few shower blobs over CSE - in reality it absolutely hammered it down for 4 hours, where was the sun? This evening's charts are still not right - at 10pm it shows rain over the entirety of Wales and some of the South West, but at that time the rain was/is actually over NW England and Wales and SW are almost completely dry. Surely it should be more accurate at that range, perhaps just an off-day?

I can understand showers are hit and miss by their very nature, but this reminds me of a more extreme erroneous forecast I didn't get round to posting about last Feb/March just before the dry spring kicked in - showers were forecast, but it threw it down constantly for about 7 hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Your most predominant wind is from the southwest. Southwest of you are many cities and towns in the UK which have expanded tremendously in the last 100 years.

Do you know exactly how much your temperature has risen? Further, I will still maintain that your temperatures are lower now over the last decade compared with the final decade of the 1900's.

That certainly isn't true at Durham University Observatory. According to Tim Burt's online analysis, the years 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2011 all ranked highly among Durham's warmest years on record. In the 1990s only 1990, 1997 and 1999 were comparably warm to any of those years (1995 was similarly warm by day but had cooler nights).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Your most predominant wind is from the southwest. Southwest of you are many cities and towns in the UK which have expanded tremendously in the last 100 years.

Do you know exactly how much your temperature has risen? Further, I will still maintain that your temperatures are lower now over the last decade compared with the final decade of the 1900's.

Not precisely, no. Do you?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ALL WEATHER, NOT THE PETTY POLITICS OF MODS IN THIS SITE

Snow again in the forecast for Scotland upland areas today. Expect frosts tonight under clearing skies. Unfortunately, despite some dry weather this coming weekend, the cold weather will continue. Get those potted plants in under cover because the cold will deal them a blow.

To think, only a few weeks and the nights will start to draw in again!

Edited by Village

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I also note that the urban heat island doesn't explain why south-west England (take Penzance, Haytor in Dartmoor, Exeter for example) have also shown a warming trend over the past couple of decades with the "noughties" being slightly warmer overall than the 1990s despite a run of cloudier wetter and slightly cooler summers.

Expect frosts tonight under clearing skies

Yes temps could get near the 0C mark tonight though i would think more rural areas due to urban warmth in May, tomorrow nights looks very cold for mid May again most likely rurally, also another cold plunge for tuesday so i am quite shocked at the positive posts today as anything warmer and settled is way into FI and very tenuous at best.

Posted

Next week looks generally sunnier with less frontal rain about. It doesn't have to be settled and warm for the weather to be more pleasant for outdoor stuff than the frequent grey wet windy weather of recent weeks!

Posted

Yes, anything is better than the persistent rain and gloom. Even if its still going to be cold at least if one can get out and remain dry or grab a few rays it feels better.

I cant believe that we still have frontal snow in the forcast though this close to summer.

Posted

To think, only a few weeks and the nights will start to draw in again!

Yes this has been a real negative as many days here this past 6 weeks have seemed as dark as an overcast day in January with very little brightness even in the mornings and evenings.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

still about 6 weeks until the solstice.. and even then sunset stays the same for about 2 weeks, and then it's a further 4 weeks until sunset is about 8:30pm.. so we still have a good 12 weeks of days at least this long :) fortunately

Yeah! we dont seem to get any settled periods anymore. I'd be suprised if we get any rarely dry summer months this year again..

But dont fret we will get the weather people coming out with a jug and saying we are still in a drought..

Posted

Its that global warming again! except its not Global!

Expect it to turn even colder again.

Posted

The temperatures over the last 10,000 years have been rising.

What you need to determine is: how much your temperatures have changed, over what period that change has taken place and whether that change is outside of the environmental change to make it significant.

But if you know what temperature change has taken place as you say you do but wont say then we can move on none the wiser.

Edited by Village

Posted

With respect, it's you who postulates that the UHI effect is underestimated, therefore up to you to prove it. It's not up to me to disprove it.

Without your input its pointless continuing to talk about you finding that its warm in your region. In the meantime, most of central parts and west midlands will be getting frost this week. Elsewhere, the cold, gloom and rain continues.

Edited by Village

what annoys me is some weather forecasters that make people believe the weather is getting better in a few days. Take John Hammond for instance. And the really poor bank holiday weather.. In his forcast he metions there will be no heatwave this weekend... Why mention the word heatwave in a forecast. It gives people the impression one is about to happen.. When its obviously not going to..

The public are fed up with the current cold wind and rain.. I dont recall 2 months in a row where its felt this chilly for instance.. it seems a common theme in recent years..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

The weather here hasn't been that bad at all. Only 2 sunless days this month, a total of 65 hours of sunshine.. which would result in around 155 hours of sun by months end.. still below average but not terrible.. considering this is England and all. The forecast for here still looks reasonably sunny and dry - 7 dry days this month here! It's been really comfortable, but my only complaint is lack of visible weather - I want some darn storms.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

A lovely day here despite the forecast suggesting much lower temperatures. It reached 17c in the end. Still a bit of a breeze but i was nice to have a day of deep blue skies to feel the full effect of the strong May sunshine. Really hoping that the little area of high pressure can deliver something similar on Thursday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

If I were fed up, which I'm not because I rarely get fed up, it would be because it's not nearly overcast, wet and cold enough for my liking. Today for instance the forecast was for heavy showers, which I must admit duly developed, albeit rather late in the day, but all of them missed here until just over half an hour ago.

With over five and half hours of sunshine and a maximum of 12.8c it certainly wasn't cold, just a little below average.

In my book wet and cold at this time of year is 12mm from a succession of heavy rain and hail showers and a maximum below 10c; I'm hoping for a better show tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes lately has certainly not felt warm as such but this past week it has felt much more akin to what this time of year should bring - some sun, temps in the mid teens with some rain at times.

People are less fed up than they were a few weeks back when it was sunless all the time although of course many of us would like to heating to stay off at long last! Things are growing now as the sun has returned to power things.

As TM says - it could be better worse!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

I'm definitely getting very fed up of being cold and being wet, at least April it was refreshing to see rain and showers it's getting stale now and samey time for a change but that won't happen until the turn of June I think.

It may have been nice in the "sunshine" but the nagging north westerly was an annoyance...The weekend in is looking pretty dire to..When the wind blew which was quite often the temperture dropped dramatically.

Even if the weather changes for June.. We will get 4 days of above average tempertures but it will be cloudy.. For the next two weeks after that it will be below average and windy..This accurance as been a common theme in the last 5 summers.. Ofcourse we don't get summers like 2006 and 2003 that often. But these days we dont even get a week of decent settled warm weather..

There in lays the problem with the weather for some people. The weekend may have been nice out of the wind.. But thats one weekend! from today onwards the weather as gone back to the original state..

Posted

You can't please all the people all the time but for me April and May have been dire.

As someone who likes the outdoors, cycling/running/walking/kids activities I can definately say this one takes some beating for getting wet/muddy/cold. It's incessant and I don't know of anyone enjoying it!

Give me at least a few days of 15C+ and some blue sky, this is depressing.