Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Discussion - Part 3

A.J

Posted

I think 60 mph gusts inland would be a pretty big deal at this time of year to be honest. Are these the latest thoughts then?

I'll be flying to Barbados in 48 hours, so hoping things are better on my return too. Not thinking about it too much yet, as have major work issues first. Weird really.

Apparently so. But it's the highest gusts in exposed areas only.

All TV weather are just mentioning a windy day Friday so until they tell me I need to board my windows I think I'm going to be ok. Lol

The odd branch or twig falling, wheelie bin blown over is hardly a big deal for me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Thanks for update.

Anyone know the timing of the rain band tomorrow? I'm supposed to be watching a cycle race around Colchester in the evening. It's also my Brother's birthday. It would be nice if the rain has passed through.

Edited by Speed67

Posted

All TV weather are just mentioning a windy day Friday so until they tell me I need to board my windows I think I'm going to be ok. Lol

The odd branch or twig falling, wheelie bin blown over is hardly a big deal for me

Might catch a few out, looking quite gusty first thing:

gfs_gusts_eur57.png

gfs_gusts_eur60.png

sfcwind0.curr.1100lst.d2.png

It's going to whistle up the Channel at a brisk old speed!

Rtavn488.png

Rtavn608.png

Posted

morning coast carol k was saying at least 60 mph so things could get interesting thu/fri lol big farming show here in suffolk starts tomorrow should be intersting with the present weather forecast

Edited by tinybill

I think 60 mph gusts inland would be a pretty big deal at this time of year to be honest. Are these the latest thoughts then?

I'll be flying to Barbados in 48 hours, so hoping things are better on my return too. Not thinking about it too much yet, as have major work issues first. Weird really.

60MPH inland...Well thats more than a noticeable breeze, yes some of the senior posters on the forum are beginning to pick up on this storm...

Guest archiesmummy

Can't wait for next week looking glorious, whatever the weather will be good.

Winds could be a problem Thursday, some talk that trees could be uprooted, that's not normal weather for the time of year and would be bad whatever month it was to happen. Yes its not a hurricane yes we have had stronger winds but there could still be a need to be careful.

Equally it could change its route and we get nothing!

Keep watching!

Edited by archiesmummy

Posted

morning coast carol k was saying at least 60 mph so things could get interesting thu/fri lol big farming show here in suffolk starts tomorrow should be intersting with the present weather forecast

Yes, never book holidays (in this country) to coincide with the timing of the Suffolk Show. Another bad time is the Clacton Air Show.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

Yes 60 mph is nothing normal for June, but he knows that :)

Prob won't be as windy as that anyway - I hope not!

Fingers crossed for a few rumbles this arvo :)

Posted

I'm in a prime/dangerous spot on the coast here so I hope that the roots of trees will be secure enough as it heads towards me overnight and into the rush hour.

You can see it starts in the Irish Sea/Channel straits tomorrow night then pushes East through the Channel overnight:

42_21.gif

48_21.gif

A windy old morning and 60mph could be possible along exposed areas:

54_21.gif

48_45.gif

Not sure if my copious amounts of bunting and flags will still be up by the end of the day!!!!

Guest archiesmummy

Yes 60 mph is nothing normal for June, but he knows that :)

Prob won't be as windy as that anyway - I hope not!

Fingers crossed for a few rumbles this arvo :)

Yes looking at some heavy showers again if you get under one, hail and thunder possible, let's see! Think the higher wind gusts are along the coast but will still be thinking of our members who might be affected by that...coast get your bunting in! Lol

Edited by archiesmummy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Plenty of cloud-buildup going on, the noo. Fingers crossed for this arvo!

Posted

coast get your bunting in! Lol

Was hoping to leave it up for the footy and Olympics, looks like my neighbours, or even someone in Kent may end up with it all!!!

post-6667-0-70022600-1338977556_thumb.jp

I went for the tacky look, I think I achieved it!!!! rofl.gif

Guest archiesmummy

Was hoping to leave it up for the footy and Olympics, looks like my neighbours, or even someone in Kent may end up with it all!!!

post-6667-0-70022600-1338977556_thumb.jp

I went for the tacky look, I think I achieved it!!!! rofl.gif

Trust me I live in Essex, that's NOT tacky!

Am sure you will be fine and def needs to be out for footie!

Just started raining here, think gonna be in and out of garden all day!

Posted

Weather Boffs over on twitter say coasts will see strongest winds. Maybe London areas seeing upto 50mph gusts.

Quite potent for June but nothing dramatic - well for my area Essex anyway

Posted

A really sharp shower now and looks like nw London is in the firing line over the next couple hours from all that stuff pushing up from the sw.....

Guest archiesmummy

Really heavy rain here now, is like hosepipe on the front window, still no thunder!

Couple of rumbles...least I know the ingredients are there!

Edited by archiesmummy

Guest archiesmummy

I hate posting nasty weather charts :S But has anybody taken a look at tomorrow and Later tonight :/ More rain! Quite a bit of it too...

12060709_0606.gif

12060715_0606.gif

You don't make the charts up! Does look a big wash out! Welcome to summer!

Thanks for keeping us up to date and all who post charts!

You don't make the charts up! Does look a big wash out! Welcome to summer!

Thanks for keeping us up to date and all who post charts!

Thanks :) I know..We need some proper summer weather soon before we all get serve depression from this awful weather...The models are hinting at something warmer mid June

Posted

Lashing it down here, near Chelmsford.

I agree with Surrey, the weather is awful at the moment. The fact that there were occasional sunny spells over the bank holiday weekend were mere crumbs of comfort.

Edited by Speed67

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Mmmmmmm, a bit windy on Friday then ???

West or south westerly gales are likely to affect many parts of south Wales and the southern half of England during Friday. The public should be aware that damage to trees is likely and that disruption to travel and outdoor activities could also occur. The gales are also likely to be accompanied by some heavy rain. Winds should gradually ease from the southwest during the day.

Yellow Alert of Wind for East of England :

Bedford, Cambridgeshire, Central Bedfordshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Luton, Southend-on-Sea, Suffolk & Thurrock

Yellow Alert of Wind for London & South East England :

Bracknell Forest, Brighton and Hove, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Greater London, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Medway, Milton Keynes, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Reading, Slough, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Windsor and Maidenhead & Wokingham

valid from 0005 Fri 08 Jun to 2100 Fri 08 Jun

Issued at - 06 Jun 2012, 13:03

Posted

I remember reading a few years ago about the huge difference to insurance claims, for structural damage, between a storm with 70mph gusts and one with 90mph gusts - the 90mph gusting storm causing major losses if it affected a wide area.

As others have alluded to, the problem with this possible coming set up would most likely be for trees to fall and cause damage to things adjacent to them.

It strikes me that the last few years have been notable by their lack of major storms in this part of the country. In fact where I work, we lost a couple of mature trees in winds gusting up to only about 60mph (I think it was in December and bearing in mind they had no foliage) I felt then that there must be quite a lot of weak trees about now which would have been lost earlier, if we'd had previous blows. Just something to be wary of.

Edited by Speed67

Posted

Hi res HiRLAM charts have less of a gust and in a sightly different place, catching the IOW square on!

hir_gusts_eur54.png

hir_gusts_eur57.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I remember reading a few years ago about the huge difference to insurance claims, for structural damage, between a storm with 70mph gusts and one with 90mph gusts - the 90mph gusting storm causing major losses if it affected a wide area.

I've got some rather dodgy ridge tiles on the garage roof at the moment, I think I might park a bit further up the drive just in case ph34r.png

..... it will save the builders a job if that part of the roof blows off though because (as long as we get planning permission) that part of the house is going to be extended later in the year to create a new west wing !

Posted

Metoffice warning for thurs into friday....gales and rain. Damage to trees is "likely"

Laura Tobin just said 60-70mph around coasts

Edit: ooops just seen mk's post above

Edited by Suburban Streamer