Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn

lorenzo

Posted

Just watched CounrtyFile weather for the week ahead..... depressed is an understatement. Sleet for hill walkers by mid week, with single figures to start Thursday possible.

This say's it all...

484061_496164257065830_681836256_n.jpg

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

Unlucky Andy ..so close. He will get there 1 day ......any eyes right where is his mass heading oot in the north sea? ????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Probably the sunniest day of my holiday so far. Cloudy in the morning, then cleared enough to take the wee one to the beach, before clouds rolled in again for an hour or so, making it feel a little cool in the breeze. Cleared almost completely after that to give a nice southern brittany july late afternoon/evening.

Hoping tomorrow is good enough for a full day at the beach.

Posted

Heavy Scotch Mist. Farm is just swimmimg again.cows are disgusted,haymaking will probably be done with harvest in September and spring barley and neeps look pale again. A bit of dry sunny weather would be the remedy for all of this. I am truly living up to my Gumpy Old Farmer image today. Currently 12.9c.

Posted

I'll be back in Scotland tomorrow, not looking forward to the relentless rain and cold temperatures! Currently 35c here with thunderstorms in Orlando...

Saw the video of the floods in killie, I don't think anything like that has happened there before, certainly not in my lifetime. It's probably a consequence of all of the flood defence work which has been completed further up and down the river.

Posted

Saw the video of the floods in killie, I don't think anything like that has happened there before, certainly not in my lifetime. It's probably a consequence of all of the flood defence work which has been completed further up and down the river.

Yes, flood defences generally work by moving the problem from one place to another, although that was often not the intention.

While flood plains present nice, flat, fertile, attractive land for agriculture and construction, they are called flood plains for a reason...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

yet another grey day here, started to hopecast for sunshine like I do for snow. A summer I would rather forget me thinks. Forecast to stay grey and cloudy with intermittant rain... ALL week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Yes, flood defences generally work by moving the problem from one place to another, although that was often not the intention.

While flood plains present nice, flat, fertile, attractive land for agriculture and construction, they are called flood plains for a reason...

I've never quite got over a tv-news clip a few years ago when flooding started to become news, interviewing flooded-out householders in Cambridgeshire. They were all so upset and worried, and the insurance companies were making nasty noises, and the householders were saying anxiously, "we moved in five years ago and had no idea this could happen"...

Village named Waterbeach, non-coastal... bit of a clue in the name, dontchathink???? [emoticon for exasperated rolling of eyes and making of 'tchah!' sound]

Posted

I've just returned from 34 degree heat in portugal . . . It's like a different planet. I haven't really been following the models much over the last few months but I would really love to know what the weather patterns over the last few months would have given us if it were the middle of winter?

Posted

Another grey dreich day, paperwork up to date again slow improvement ,local rivers still high and currently 14c

Posted

A cool and grey day here today. Can we have some more [sunshine +warmth + summer smile.png ] please.....

Edited by A Winter's Tale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Colder today, many layers plus hat and gloves for much of the day. Fair enough I was at about 550m in Caithness but this is July FFFS.

Oh dear - just seen the absence of wind forecast for tomorrow.help.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gif

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

I see the meto now have a small amber warning for the lothians/Edinburger tomorrow for up to 2 inches of rain. Glad to be back in Scotland... :( :lol:

Am I allowed to say Pish on here? rofl.gif

That has to be the best way to describe the current weather...what happens if the jet decides to stay roughly where it is for the next ten years? I love rain but this is getting a little ridiculous.

Posted

Warm 18C but overcast again here in Brittany.

Not been much of a beach holiday, but lots to see and do. Went to the walled town of Concarneau today - well worth the visit.

concarneau_ville_close.jpg

The lack of really sunny weather offset by food - just finished cooking a live lobster for tonight's dinner. Off to make the french mayonnaise now - 2.5 sp sunflower oil, 1 sp dijon mustard, and 1 egg yolk - mix them up until thick then add the chives and chill. Mmmmmmm.

Posted

Fort William has,to be fair, a bit of a reputation for more than a hint of drizzle on any given day of the year.My 17.2inch recording from last December was excessive to say the least.........

Since May we have watched the jet stream shift south and we have consequently had a very dry spell since then. The Outer Hebrides and the NW of Scotland are also in the way below average rainfall category. Laggan dam is now at its lowest level since 2003. Some fronts have skirted our area but we have virtually missed all the heavy down pours seen over much of Scotland recently. It has been cool and cloudy of late but with the Greenland high continuing to extend its influence to the west of Scotland i cannot see much rain in the near future for Lochaber. Not a great summer all round thus far!

Posted

Pi55y wet day in north Highland again, didn't see above 12C on car thermometer all day, did see lots of rain, cloud and a crash at Ardullie roundabout. Why will some people not slow down in the wet?

Am I allowed to say Pish on here? rofl.gif

You may say pish, gash & pants but not Lettuce onions angel delight

Posted

In Reply to Hairy Celt

Ditto really frustrating no fieldwork until this lot dries up. Weather and its potential effect on this years harvest begining to be reported in the media.

Hoping to see this as the cue for a rapid improvement to hot dry sunny weather for the next 2 months

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

hi all, rain just started here after a mainly dry day, though cool and overcast with odd bit of drizzle. Looks like we will miss the worst tomorrow. Hopefully rain does not cause too much issues elsewhere.

Model output thread suggest a confused state of affairs again for a change. Some optimism for towards end of month of a pattern change seems to have diminished to a some extent in the experts opinion. Bah, though I think I am past caring.

Glad you are enjoying your holiday SS - lovely part of the world. As you say food and wine and plenty to see and do whatever the weather. Enjoy! I off in a couple of weeks though cruising a bit further south this year. cant wait, whatever the weather.

In Reply to Hairy Celt

Ditto really frustrating no fieldwork until this lot dries up. Weather and its potential effect on this years harvest begining to be reported in the media.

Hoping to see this as the cue for a rapid improvement to hot dry sunny weather for the next 2 months

I hope so too NL. It seems to be more nationwide in the weathers impact this year. Do you know are farmers in england suffering as well with crops?

Posted

In Reply to Hairy Celt

Yes, there was a farmer in England with 1000s of acres of peas under water being interviewed on R4 yesterday. I did silently ask myself, why put all your eggs in one basket? Cereals around here look very short and I would start to worry about potato b***** if we don't see some sun soon.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Pi55y wet day in north Highland again, didn't see above 12C on car thermometer all day, did see lots of rain, cloud and a crash at Ardullie roundabout. Why will some people not slow down in the wet?

Been mostly heavy rain here since 4pm!!!

Drive to Glasgow involved so many cars with no lights!!!