Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The North Of England Regional Discussion

A.J

Posted

I'm going to watch England v Australia in the cricket at Durham tomorrow. Could anyone tell me what the weather will be like around that area for tomorrow please? I've heard it is supposed to be bad tonight, but as the band pushes past after midnight, tomorrow should be fine?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Had it not been for the Met' Office's amber warning in this area I would have been quite happy with today's weather; persistent fog and 19.4 mm of rain since midnight is normally pure ambrosia to me.

However I was led to believe that 40-60 mm of rain was quite likely in this area and that there was a good chance of torrential rain at times, in the light of which, today has been a distinct disappointment.

The only heavy rain was a short spell during the early hours of this morning and for much of the day we seemed to sit in a relatively dry slot between bands heavy rain to the north and south. Certainly the rain was persistent but it was never more than moderate and then only for short periods. To add insult to injury the cloud broke at times early this evening allowing a few brief sunny intervals and denying me the meagre pleasure of another completely sunless day.

Tsk!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Has been a few lightning flashes out in the north sea according to the Sferics.

Posted

Meto warning spot on for here, 57mm of rain recorded so far today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

River Aire in Leeds today (pics not mine)

7515864546_fa753e31f3.jpg

7515877900_3ec95741ac.jpg

7515861546_36cf757cde.jpg

7515879538_6331082390.jpg

Not quite as bad as June 2007 when vast swathes of the City Centre were under water..

Edited by Aaron

Posted

looking at current Metoffice Radar it looks like a part of the NE must be getting /is about to get a real hammering with a long streak of heavy rain feeding in from the N Sea - is anyone underneath that band, how heavy is it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Another time lapse i took today of the evening mist in Rotherham smile.png

Posted

River Aire in Leeds today (pics not mine)

Not quite as bad as June 2007 when vast swathes of the City Centre were under water..

I don't recall large parts of the center underwater in 2007, the offices/flats by the river saw flooding as is usually the case but 90% of the city center is on a hill so it can't be flooded.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

Meadowhall is a no go zone at the moment as the Don is at it's upper levels.

Was down with the dogs earlier prof and the levels have been falling from 8pm (according to EA)

and could only see 2 lower walkways under the road bridges flooded?

gallery_876_298_2059052.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

This is the sort of day that I'd been hoping to be on the 'right' side of when moving down to inland North Yorkshire. After early fog Sandhutton has sunshine, convective towers sprouting up around the vicinity and a temperature of 19.7C and rising. Meanwhile Neil Bradshaw's site at South Shields is showing sea fog, 14C and absence of convection.

Posted

This is the sort of day that I'd been hoping to be on the 'right' side of when moving down to inland North Yorkshire. After early fog Sandhutton has sunshine, convective towers sprouting up around the vicinity and a temperature of 19.7C and rising. Meanwhile Neil Bradshaw's site at South Shields is showing sea fog, 14C and absence of convection.

I've been to Sandhutton before it's a nice quaint village, train station nearby is a life saver though as it's a bit dull.

It's location is really good for snowfall from easterlies (as is much of West/South/North West Yorkshire). It's far enough inland to hold onto snow cover without been affecting by the dreaded see breeze. Although during really marginal situations it does see rain (Feb 2nd 09) but generally speaking going by posters who live in North Yorkshire it's a good place for snowfall and is much better than Cleadon when it comes to Frontal Snowfall/High temperatures/Sunshine (If we see a plume the northern most extent is usually just North of N-Yorkhsire).

Posted

It's quite a decent day now with recent high of 18.9C and a gentle breeze from NE.

Everywhere is so waterlogged it's like mid-December though.

About a week like this is needed just to dry things up a bit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I don't recall large parts of the center underwater in 2007, the offices/flats by the river saw flooding as is usually the case but 90% of the city center is on a hill so it can't be flooded.

Flooding affected parts of the city away from the river, bearing in mind I didn't say the majority, but plenty of areas suffered serious flooding, and not just the areas right next to the river

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Another Torrential downpour in Morley everything nice and boggy again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I've been to Sandhutton before it's a nice quaint village, train station nearby is a life saver though as it's a bit dull.

It's location is really good for snowfall from easterlies (as is much of West/South/North West Yorkshire). It's far enough inland to hold onto snow cover without been affecting by the dreaded see breeze. Although during really marginal situations it does see rain (Feb 2nd 09) but generally speaking going by posters who live in North Yorkshire it's a good place for snowfall and is much better than Cleadon when it comes to Frontal Snowfall/High temperatures/Sunshine (If we see a plume the northern most extent is usually just North of N-Yorkhsire).

Good to see all of that- I'd been hoping for those sort of differences!

I don't think I'll be able to take advantage of any of them today though as it is once again overcast.

Posted

Cumbria has certainly fared well in the past 3-4 days compared to much of the rest of England. Here in the south lakes, Thursday turned out to be a very decent day with lengthy sunny spells and temps hitting 70f with only a thundery downpour in the evening. Friday saw only shortlived moderate rain first thing, we then remained to the north of the heavy rain belt that affected much of Yorkshire and places south of Preston. Yesterday and we were probably the warmest part of the country, with only one very shortlived shower in the evening, I was in Morecambe in the afternoon and temps climbed up to 23 degrees in very warm sunshine, not sure where was the warmes sunniest spot in the country yesterday, but wouldn't be surprised if Morecambe was it. Today and we have had only one shortlived shower so far, and whilst it has been quite cloudy temps have been comfortable, so another quite good day (so far). Not often we see the best of the weather - very rare indeed.. but on this occasion we've done well, and anyone who decided to take a short 3-4 day break over the last 3-4 days in the Lake District will be secretly 'didn't we do well...'.

Posted

Its been a mainly dry weekend for many in the north-east and reasonably warm too,

although rain is now spreading in from the east.

Posted

rain is now spreading in from the east.

That looks quite bad doesn't it, just north of here so far.

It was just starting to dry up slightly this afternoon too.

Posted

Very slow moving this rain band,the gfs 18z has it hanging around for much of tonight and tomorrow.

Posted

Main feature here today is how cool it's been, with the day minimum so far of 11.2C just after 2pm

You can see your breath - not normal for a mid-July afternoon.