Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Discussion - July 12th 2012>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

Hopefully the kids and our tourist industry will get a reasonable summer holiday now.cool.png

Yeah we don't want them rioting in the rain lol :p

Posted

post-12648-0-75751300-1342184203_thumb.j

heres hoping sorry.gif

The first of those showers coming up from the SW has just got here (about 8 miles south of Reading).

Steady heavy...ish rain. But nothing even vaguely thundery about it ...sorry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I can confirm that a rogue patch of drizzle attacked Olney, at around midday, today...Very, very frightening it was, too!laugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

I think its a bit early for storms yet.....but hopefully we should see some develop in the next couple hours.

That amber warning is valid from 230 onwards so early days yet.

Imby cape peaks between 4 and 7pm

Edited by Suburban Streamer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

i think im just inside that amber warning box but got a feeling itll be north of here

Posted

I can confirm that a rogue patch of drizzle attacked Olney, at around midday, today...Very, very frightening it was, too!laugh.png

OMG is everyone there ok ?? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

OMG is everyone there ok ?? smile.png

Aye, but it was close, I can tell you. It just seemed to come out of nowhere!shok.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

I think NS, that you are probably too far north, but never say never. With the fairly decent sunshine here, then maybe ourselves in Essex and Suffolk too could get something - possibly rush hour time.

I'm never optimistic about the chance of a storm being right overhead in any event.

I cannot believe I'm too far north these days......Norfolk is now the old NE, devoid of anything apart from grey murk, drizzle and a nasty breeze off the N Sea. Actually, that's often normal weather for here in summer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Oh my word. It'll maybe make the headlines on tonight's news. I'll look out for it. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I cannot believe I'm too far north these days......Norfolk is now the old NE, devoid of anything apart from grey murk, drizzle and a nasty breeze off the N Sea. Actually, that's often normal weather for here in summer!

The funny thing is that I've spent at least 10 weekends in Norfolk over the last 12 years or so - basically hire a b&b attached to a pub in Warham, near Wells next the Sea. A total statistical fluke, which becomes ever more apparent, with each visit, but every weekend I've spent there has had good weather, whether early April, or late October (19C in that instance) I don't go in winter, mind you.

I think north Norfolk is great. Almost like stepping back to a bygone age, which I like. Very nice relaxing drive up there for me too.smile.png

Edited by Steve C

Posted

BBC forecast now showing only drizzly rain for East Anglia, any storms look to be no further north than Essex. I'll get on with the cleaning and ironing then.

I'll go commit Harry Carry then. ;):D

Posted

Blazing sunshine here but with dark patchy cloud starting and a nice breeze. Quite pleasant really. :)

Posted

The way those showers are moving, it looks like I might be in the firing line later.smile.png

Posted

The funny thing is that I've spent at least 10 weekends in Norfolk over the last 12 years or so - basically hire a b&b attached to a pub in Warham, near Wells next the Sea. A total statistical fluke, which becomes ever more apparent, with each visit, but every weekend I've spent there has had good weather, whether early April, or late October (19C in that instance) I don't go in winter, mind you.

I think north Norfolk is great. Almost like stepping back to a bygone age, which I like. Very nice relaxing drive up there for me too.smile.png

I think EA as a whole is a lovely part of UK. I have lived here for eleven years now and wouldn't live anywhere else. Oh apart from Cornwall or Dartmoor. North Essex is a beautiful area as well and very historic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Showers really starting to pep up now, the interesting time will be around 6pm when showers wil become more organised and that's when we will be looking at high rainfall totals.

Posted

Showers really starting to pep up now, the interesting time will be around 6pm when showers wil become more organised and that's when we will be looking at high rainfall totals.

How long do you think they'll last? Will it be an overnight event too?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

How long do you think they'll last? Will it be an overnight event too?

The development of the line of storms/showers is caused by a convergence zone and probably diurnal heating (the sun) so once the sun goes down the heavier and more thundery downpours will diminish leaving just heavy rain after dark.

Posted

Yes, that's my thinking too. It looks like some places could have substantial rainfall totals, whether or not there's t&l.

Posted

Don't get me wrong, I love Norfolk. I just dislike the current weather trends these days :)

Posted

I think EA as a whole is a lovely part of UK. I have lived here for eleven years now and wouldn't live anywhere else. Oh apart from Cornwall or Dartmoor. North Essex is a beautiful area as well and very historic.

I've lived here since 1986 - I have so many happy memories of terrific storms and some all nighters from Spanish plumes! Some bits of Norfolk are lovely, there are some hidden gems of villages if you know where to go :) And don't forget the churches - no other county has so many :)