Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012/13 Pt 5... Expectations, Hopes And Wishes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves

Well today i was reading on here that they thought it was going to be a colder than average winter so dont know what to think : (

Dont listen to weather is fun and aaron......they are just stiring....no need to worry things are looking good for cold

Posted

Not a good update from chio in the strat thread. He is going agaisnt the met outlook and stewarts outlook aswell. This is a worrying signal.He has more or less said it isnt good for cold fans. Oh dear. Never mind guess at least the energy companys who hiked up the prices can take a running jump. Hope for something abit colder come j/f time but im not holding my breath. It was looking promising a few weeks ago now not so much. Stupid strat. But we were warned a few weeks ago i seem to remember that this could be our nemasis to our winter.

LOL Oh how I laugh :-)

Posted

Dont listen to weather is fun and aaron......they are just stiring....no need to worry things are looking good for cold

thanks you have cheered me up :) :)

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom

Why is everyone like "oh well the strat's done for, might as well wait till next year" when its november 7th! Come on guys, the strat isn't the ultimate deciding factor to our weather, yes it helps if a warming event takes place but we still have other factors in our favour smile.png

Rant over blum.gif

Edit: Just went on the Strat thread and saw GP is suggesting the long range ECM might herald a change in strat conditions early Dec

Edited by Alex Duncan

Posted

Why is everyone like "oh well the strat's done for, might as well wait till next year" when its november 7th! Come on guys, the strat isn't the ultimate deciding factor to our weather, yes it helps if a warming event takes place but we still have other factors in our favour smile.png

Rant over blum.gif

Cos some people get a kick out of winding people up - which is a bit weird if you ask me, I imagine them sitting at home all alone in there soiled y fronts looking for some attention, that's the impression I get anyway lol

Edited by No balls like Snow Balls

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

As it happens I only said that I am 60/40 in favour to a positive AO start to winter. That leaves the rest of December, January and February to sort out!

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Sounds like this forum will be empty before too long with all the wrist slitting going on. Not even half way through November yet.

Edited by Thunder_Bolt

Posted

I do sometimes, no often, wonder at just what people hear or read when someone gives a weather forecast. Most will read or hear what they want to hear. That will depend on their overall philosphy, the half pint full or half pint empty glass.

Reading some of the comments after chio has posted in the Stratospheric thread and GP (Stewart) in his initial winter summary makes me wonder even more. The word WILL has NEVER been used yet some folk, be they a cold wisher or a mild wisher seem to be suggesting that.

Its 7 November, just think back to 2010, NO ONE no weather centre or individual had at that point really got hold of what late November into December would give much of this country, let alone the 180 degree turn round before the end of the winter.

Forecasting for 15 days is far far from easy, doing it for 30-45 days is far harder and for over 90 days ahead is something that we are only just beginning to understand how many factors are at play. Get real, enjoy what the weather gives us, hopefully nothing too extreme in any of the features, wind, rain, snow, temperature but a good mix to give everyone something to enjoy.

As it happens a only said that I am 60/40 in favour to a positive AO start to winter. That leaves the rest of December, January and February to sort out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

At the end of the day we can hope and wish all we want but Mother Nature will decide what we get.

Always best to remember this before compiling your post,she wont take any notice of any unfriendly exchanges posted here.rolleyes.gif

Edited by phil n.warks.

Posted

I actually got my information from the home page on here where it tells you todays weather

Edited by Paul

Posted

I actually got my information from the home page on here where it tells you todays weather

In which case what you'll have read was:

Stewart Rampling, the long range forecaster here at Netweather is currently preparing to issue the full winter forecast later this month, but ahead of that he has put together a video outlining his early winter thoughts and going through the factors he feel will be the major players.

Currently many signals are pointing to a colder than average winter, view the full video and presentation here.

Posted

In which case what you'll have read was:

Stewart Rampling, the long range forecaster here at Netweather is currently preparing to issue the full winter forecast later this month, but ahead of that he has put together a video outlining his early winter thoughts and going through the factors he feel will be the major players.

Currently many signals are pointing to a colder than average winter, view the full video and presentation here.

yes? Pointing to a colder than average winter

am i to take notice of this

Edited by itsnowjoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Pointing to yes, not 'it definitely will be a cold and snowy winter' there is a difference but yes, things are looking good for a cold(er) winter than normal. smiliz19.gif

Edited by Liam J

Posted

My expectations for winter is for carnage in the model thread when the UKMO/ECM and GFS show -10c 850 air moving across the UK from the NE, i predict mass hysteria, tears, tantrums, suicides and maybe even the odd pregnancy from overjoyed husbands etc celebrating the impending deep freeze with there partners a bit to vigorously :-)

Edited by No balls like Snow Balls

Posted

Well it feels cold enough outside for snow but i know thats just my age. i would likke to bog off somewhere snowy this winter but cant afford to with the big fat guy with beard coming in December (my uncle dave).

Edited by itsnowjoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

I can see a repeat of winter 2010, mild lovers wrap up warm.

Posted

I can see a repeat of winter 2010, mild lovers wrap up warm.

We wish. For Mild lovers the key is lots of layers

Edited by itsnowjoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I do sometimes, no often, wonder at just what people hear or read when someone gives a weather forecast. Most will read or hear what they want to hear. That will depend on their overall philosphy, the half pint full or half pint empty glass.

Reading some of the comments after chio has posted in the Stratospheric thread and GP (Stewart) in his initial winter summary makes me wonder even more. The word WILL has NEVER been used yet some folk, be they a cold wisher or a mild wisher seem to be suggesting that.

Its 7 November, just think back to 2010, NO ONE no weather centre or individual had at that point really got hold of what late November into December would give much of this country, let alone the 180 degree turn round before the end of the winter.

Forecasting for 15 days is far far from easy, doing it for 30-45 days is far harder and for over 90 days ahead is something that we are only just beginning to understand how many factors are at play. Get real, enjoy what the weather gives us, hopefully nothing too extreme in any of the features, wind, rain, snow, temperature but a good mix to give everyone something to enjoy.

Totally agree with everything you say bar one point, i know some people will not like this but i want to see a brutally extreme winter, DEC 10, JAN 87 and FEB 91 would suit me, or better still DEC 81, JAN 63 and FEB and MARCH 47.

Posted

Totally agree with everything you say bar one point, i know some people will not like this but i want to see a brutally extreme winter, DEC 10, JAN 87 and FEB 91 would suit me, or better still DEC 81, JAN 63 and FEB and MARCH 47.

i agree everythings crossed

Posted

my mum said were going to have a cold winter as she has seen wagtails is there any truth in this and the old lady down the street also says it too?

Posted

my mum said were going to have a cold winter as she has seen wagtails is there any truth in this and the old lady down the street also says it too?

They must have access to the Euro 32 day charts... The wagtails, I mean! Edited by Rocheydub

Posted

Not sure about wagtails, but Fieldfares turned up here in abundance Nov 09 and 12 months later.

I see a few people are losing sleep over no strat warming again. Dont worry there'll be cold and snow events without any strat warming but just wont last more than a few days i suspect, each time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I doubt it to be honest, i really cant see how any any animal could have a sixth sense about what the weather is going to do, there will obviously be differences in what wildlife you will find and wherabouts from one Autumn to another because animals do react to weather, but there is no strong correlation, as far as i am aware, between recent weather patterns and cold winters, unless you factor in predictive elements, just my personal opinion but i think it is just not possible.

Posted

Can we keep this on topic please, posts about christmas cards, and other random items really aren't related to the weather this winter in the slightest. Thanks.