Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012/13 Pt 5... Expectations, Hopes And Wishes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

people are not writing off winter, they just worry when they see the charts showing a zonal outlook as it can be hard to shift, lets be honest we are overdue a mild zonal spell of weather, some of us had a decent cold spell last feb, but most classed it as a bad winter because it was mild up till then, so i would like snow and cold to be spread out evenly over winter, yes i know its not winter yet, and yes it is too early to be panicking but if we are still in this situation come end of november then we should start to worry as december could be a write off if the models continue to show zonal crap

i hope GP is right, if he thinks end of nov could get interesting, then i wouldn't care less if most of november was very mild

And remember, if an Easterly comes off, we dont want it too early as it may only deliver uppers of -5 or so and there would be very little or no snow with that setup.

Posted

Chill out boys and listen to some genius, last few tracks - arms in the air - early nineties stonkers.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

And remember, if an Easterly comes off, we dont want it too early as it may only deliver uppers of -5 or so and there would be very little or no snow with that setup.

yeah true we don't want an easterly now its too early, best wait till late nov, i would be happy with a frosty, foggy spell now, but sadly anticyclones are not common in November

Edited by Snowy Easterlies

Posted

yeah true we don't want an easterly now its too early, best wait till late nov, i would be happy with a frosty, foggy spell now, but sadly anticyclones are not common in November

And even then its never guaranteed to deliver, i remember in mid winter 1992, i watched the countryfile forecast and seen what looked a stonker (only surface forecasts available then), and wondered why it was not delivering, answer - -5c uppers, a few snizzly sleet grauply grains over the east coast, i was desperate to get a tonking in those days to get time off school (hated it), that said though, some people on these forums panic too much about cold pooling on the continent, thinking it takes months to build, wheras in reality it can build in a few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I hate easterlies, I prefer north easterlies.

Posted

I hate easterlies, I prefer north easterlies.

Both deliver for you dont they? Assuming uppers around -10c and tight pressure gradient of course.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

They are better for SE than here. 1987 for example.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

i wonder when the earliest time a beast from the east could deliver snow to us under -10 uppers ? it would have to be a special and very rare synoptic set up i suppose to happen in early nov i take it ?

Edited by Snowy Easterlies

Posted

Can we please stop with the *insert weather type* is due theories please. There is no such thing as something being due, the probability of something does not increase because it's not happened in a while, if that was so then we'd be due a '63 type winter by that logic, but we're not.

Posted

we've had a lot of northern blocking for the past 6 months, i hope we don't see a strong PV and a northerly tracking jet for the next 6 months now, they do say mother nature balances her self out

But what balances what out? How do you know the last 6 months didn't balance out the previous 6 months to this?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

I don't know why people get their knickers in a twist over the weather, there is nothing you can do about it so just go with whatever it brings. Its a chaotic system that is difficult to predict and things can change rapidly. Yes most of us would like to see a good snow dumping as i think most of us are big kids at heart but I didn't see proper snowfall fall for 12 years, so its lovely when it does happen.

I would like a mixed winter (something for everyone) but I have a strong feeling that it will be a cold one. I feel it in my waters, either that or I have an infection biggrin.png

Posted

lovely frosty, crisp morning today. in the last couple of weeks, we have had torrential rain, strong winds, fog, frost, dull days, clear days mild days but more cold days. some had even had a few flakes of snow. Autumn is in full swing, the weather is doing exactly what it should for the time of year. there is no 'unseasonal' weather occuring. its distinctly 'Autumnal'

if this seasonal theme continues, next thing we know it will be Winter... and colder... and all the weather we should expect......wink.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I don't know why people get their knickers in a twist over the weather, there is nothing you can do about it so just go with whatever it brings. Its a chaotic system that is difficult to predict and things can change rapidly. Yes most of us would like to see a good snow dumping as i think most of us are big kids at heart but I didn't see proper snowfall fall for 12 years, so its lovely when it does happen.

I would like a mixed winter (something for everyone) but I have a strong feeling that it will be a cold one. I feel it in my waters, either that or I have an infection biggrin.png

you know i wish the weather or should i say if its going to be cold and have snow was the only thing i had worry about...life's just too short

Posted

cfs-0-1212.png

ok you big braineez.... what can you tell me about this (apart from the pretty colours :))

tis quite a contrast from what it was showing yesterday!! almost certain it will change tomorrow too..... ahh, the joys of cfs models :)

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Deleted, posted wrong chart..

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

cfs-0-1212.png

ok you big braineez.... what can you tell me about this (apart from the pretty colours smile.png)

tis quite a contrast from what it was showing yesterday!! almost certain it will change tomorrow too..... ahh, the joys of cfs models smile.png

Certainly not a big brain, still very much a novice but I would say very strong winds and a fair bit of rain. The 850hpa and the 2 metre temps look too high for snow. Probably got that wrong and made a fool of myself biggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

cfs-0-1212.png

ok you big braineez.... what can you tell me about this (apart from the pretty colours smile.png)

tis quite a contrast from what it was showing yesterday!! almost certain it will change tomorrow too..... ahh, the joys of cfs models smile.png

It certainly bears an uncanny resemblance to my forecast here help.gifsmiliz39.gif

Posted

cfs-0-1212.png

Gales for the North with -4 uppers on a PM airflow, snow over the high ground/ sleet down to low levels.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

http://www.accuweath...012-2013/961001

accuweather going for a cold winter in uk

edit :: forgot to add this link as well

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/Euro/winter-20122013-forecast/972170

Edited by lutfishah

Posted

The CFS is just updating as we speak so wait and see what it throws out next..... it's looking good so far from the east and a Greenland block setting up, as per MET O long range update...

cfs-0-780.png?12

cfs-2-930.png?12

December is looking very cold throughout the run so far...

That was yesterdays run.

Posted

Yes winter last year was rubbish i would love the 2010 event again it started snowing here around 16/18 December and just kept going loved it : )

Posted

Last winter was perfect, only one day of snow and mild temps, hoping for a repeat of that.

Do you not like snow then?