Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012/13 Pt 5... Expectations, Hopes And Wishes

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

That was yesterdays run.

Yes correct, my error I thought The CFS updated today.... doh.gifmega_shok.gif Putting that aside... It is showing the same outlook as the METO update.

All fun and games with the CFS

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tenerife weather

Do you not like snow then?

I hate snow, on the one day it snowed last year it took me 2 hours to drive the 8 miles back from work instead of the usual 15 minutes, there is nothing to like about it for me, or the cold either.

Posted

I hate snow, on the one day it snowed last year it took me 2 hours to drive the 8 miles back from work instead of the usual 15 minutes, there is nothing to like about it for me, or the cold either.

but snow makes it feel more like christmas : (

Posted

Yes correct, my error I thought The CFS updated today.... doh.gifmega_shok.gif Putting that aside... It is showing the same outlook as the METO update.

All fun and games with the CFS

Well to be fair I was kinda of wrong there, it is yesterdays run but it's only just fully rolling out now if you get what I mean lol.

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

That's what amazes me about this country we get a few inches of snow and we come to a standstill people in the likes of Scandinavia must laugh at this country they seem to manage every winter with out needing to cancel flights, trains and road gridlock

Posted

Well to be fair I was kinda of wrong there, it is yesterdays run but it's only just fully rolling out now if you get what I mean lol.

Anyhow i have deleted the chart's i posted to save any more confusion (if that's possible) rofl.gif

But the updated CFS.... when it's fully rolled out, should be an upgrade for cold/snow.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

That's what amazes me about this country we get a few inches of snow and we come to a standstill people in the likes of Scandinavia must laugh at this country they seem to manage every winter with out needing to cancel flights, trains and road gridlock

I think half the problem in this country is people don't know how to drive properly in snow and ice... pardon.gif have little trouble unless you get silly amounts on road round here although you go into a town where snow is rare and its carnage with only an inch on road and people being stupid. acute.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The latest CFS shows a very active Atlantic/strong jet driven pattern for the first half of winter, see my post in the MOD thread, but it'll likely swing from one extreme to the other?

Latest CFS pressure anomalies for the 3 months of winter.

post-9615-0-00469100-1352218207_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-98708600-1352218213_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-46145300-1352218220_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Can we please stop with the *insert weather type* is due theories please. There is no such thing as something being due, the probability of something does not increase because it's not happened in a while, if that was so then we'd be due a '63 type winter by that logic, but we're not.

Shhhhh

Have you not seen the topic title?

Posted

Are you talking about the 5th Nov run which is still rolling out or the 6th here? biggrin.png

My post was only directed at the CFS for December smiliz39.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I think half the problem in this country is people don't know how to drive properly in snow and ice... pardon.gif have little trouble unless you get silly amounts on road round here although you go into a town where snow is rare and its carnage with only an inch on road and people being stupid. acute.gif

Even in southern Scandinavia, people get caught out by the snow - I've been told by a Finn in SW Finland that every winter, snow catches them with their pants down. Few places are perfect with regards to snow removal, most places experience issues. The fact that places much colder and snowier than ourselves can experience big issues with snow means that we will never get to grips with it, and that is reasonable IMO.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, Manchester, 93m / 305 feet asl.
  • Weather Preferences: Variety, Warm Sunny days, low temperatures some snow, thunderstorms
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, Manchester, 93m / 305 feet asl.

Speaking of Scandinavia I remember this Chelsea game, watch how the snow starts to get going through the video, this sort of snow in this game wouldn't continue in our country or this Winter due to 'elf and safety' and injury concerns, though let's face it after a while the ball won't move properly anyway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

well guys there's no need to panic regarding the up coming winter yet. Take a look at the met's 16-30day outlook today also look at gp's posts,what's mor if i remembor ritely the met picked up the cold spell signal around 5th-6th nov 2010 so going by today's update r they on to something?

well guys there's no need to panic regarding the up coming winter yet. Take a look at the met's 16-30day outlook today also look at gp's posts,what's mor if i remembor ritely the met picked up the cold spell signal around 5th-6th nov 2010 so going by today's update r they on to something?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Made an error sorry, it was 2002 I was after. sorry.gif

Don't know whether you got the answer Paul, but I suspect this was the heavy snow event you remembered. I was in Stevenage at the time and there was definitely a few inches of snow there. I think we only had half an inch of snow, max, at home, at the same time.

http://news.bbc.co.u...and/2712045.stm

Edited by Steve C

Posted

Scandanavian countries do have disruption with snow, I have been in Helsinki during heavy snow storms and their transport system has come to a halt. To say there is no disruption is just a myth. Obviously their temperature would be a feature, but they do have disruption.

Posted

Scandanavian countries do have disruption with snow, I have been in Helsinki during heavy snow storms and their transport system has come to a halt. To say there is no disruption is just a myth. Obviously their temperature would be a feature, but they do have disruption.

Indeed, I'm sure when Europe suffered one of its coldest blasts of air during Feb 2012, there was reports of plenty of disruption but unlike in the UK, we are not going to be seeing SKY/BBC sending out reporters in the snow doing their usual 24/7 coverage of it so therefore people think in other countries life goes on as normal where in reality, that is probably not the case.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Here is the latest winter outlook issued by Environment Canada on 31st Oct...note the forecast above average values on the east and north east side of Canada would be indicative of some kind of northern blocking over Greenland or the north Atlantic

post-2495-0-10034300-1352226349_thumb.gi

post-2495-0-43782900-1352226360_thumb.gi

Posted

For whats its worth this is Captain Bob's initial thoughts for December/January from weatheronline. Sounds quite similar to what Netweather's initial winter forecasts suggest.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/reports?LANG=en&MENU=seasonaloutlook&DAY=20121106

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

How can anyone sound so specific with a long range forecast, eg - The new year begins on a cold and sunny note.... I suppose he could be correct, just like any forecast at this range.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

For whats its worth this is Captain Bob's initial thoughts for December/January from weatheronline. Sounds quite similar to what Netweather's initial winter forecasts suggest.

http://www.weatheron...ok&DAY=20121106

As soon as I see anything resembling dates, in a LRF, I dismiss that LRF...It's not even possible to reliably forecast next week!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Nearly, getting closer !

h500slp.png

Potent uppers creeping their way westward.

h850t850eu.png

h850t850eu.png

h850t850eu.png

Edited by feb1991blizzard