Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2012/13 - Chat

Paul

Posted

LP flatly refusing to track SE, pressure rebuilds in the Atlantic and winds swing back into the NW. Looking very much like the Winter blueprint to me, but at least this pattern will offer some occasional cold shots and give plenty of dry weather. so whilst not perfect I'd take it for now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

If you not been to this link then this is a good one, has rain/snow charts data/radar http://www.meteoblue.com/en_GB/weather/map/precipitation1h/united_kingdom#navigation

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

WAY HAY

WE GOT SNOW

post-4475-0-29811900-1354499798_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The Met Office have issued a cold weather alert this is currently at level 2

Current alert level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness

Issued at: 0836 on Mon 3 Dec 2012

There is an 80% probability of severe cold weather between 1800 on Tuesday and 0600 on Friday in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

Turning colder over the next few days with overnight frosts becoming more widespread by Wednesday night. The coldest conditions are expected across the northeast. Some wintry showers are likely at times, especially across eastern and northeastern parts with these becoming increasingly wintry through Wednesday. These showers also bring a risk of icy patches forming where overnight frosts form. During Thursday, a weather system is expected to move in from the northwest. This bringing a period of hill snow over the Pennines and also some snow down to low levels in eastern parts for a time before less cold sets in turning the snow back to rain.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region

North East England, Yorkshire and the Humber are at the highest risk 80% currently

http://www.metoffice...oldWeatherAlert

Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

The Met Office have issued a cold weather alert this is currently at level 2

Current alert level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness

Issued at: 0836 on Mon 3 Dec 2012

There is an 80% probability of severe cold weather between 1800 on Tuesday and 0600 on Friday in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

Turning colder over the next few days with overnight frosts becoming more widespread by Wednesday night. The coldest conditions are expected across the northeast. Some wintry showers are likely at times, especially across eastern and northeastern parts with these becoming increasingly wintry through Wednesday. These showers also bring a risk of icy patches forming where overnight frosts form. During Thursday, a weather system is expected to move in from the northwest. This bringing a period of hill snow over the Pennines and also some snow down to low levels in eastern parts for a time before less cold sets in turning the snow back to rain.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region

North East England, Yorkshire and the Humber are at the highest risk 80% currently

http://www.metoffice...oldWeatherAlert

what constitutes severe cold in the met office eyes??..sounds pretty standard fare for the UK in the winter reading that..not as though it is going to be -20c like it is here right now Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted

Yellow alert for snow issued

Issued at: 1123 on Tue 4 Dec 2012

Valid from: 1600 on Tue 4 Dec 2012

Valid to: 1500 on Wed 5 Dec 2012

Following the clearance of a band of mostly light rain and hill snow, a colder airmass with sleet and snow showers will spread southwards across northeast Britain, reaching northern and eastern Scotland later on Tuesday and northeastern fringes of England by Wednesday morning. Some of the showers will be on the heavy side, with 5-10 cm possible, particularly over hills and higher routes. Icy stretches are also likely, especially on untreated surfaces at lower levels. The public should be aware of possible disruption, particularly to travel early on Wednesday.

The regions affected are mostly Scotland (eastern side), North east England, Yorkshire (east side) and the Humber

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-4.50&lat=55.74&fcTime=1354536060

Posted

A further snow warning for Thursday have just been issued by the met office

Issued at - 04 Dec 2012, 11:59

Valid from - 06 Dec 2012, 03:00

Valid to - 06 Dec 2012, 12:00

After a frosty night with icy patches, a spell of wet weather will affect the UK on Thursday. Over Scotland and northern England snow is expected over higher ground where 5-10cm is likely above 300 metres. At lower levels away from western coastal areas the wet weather is expected to be preceded by some sleet and snow either during the early hours or during Thursday morning. Here temporary accumulations of up to a few centimetres are possible, most likely over Perthshire and eastern Scotland. The public should be aware of possible disruption, particularly to travel.

Areas under the warning

Orkney & Shetland

Highlands & Eilean Siar

Grampian

Strathclyde

Central, Tayside & Fife

SW Scotland, Lothian Borders

North West England

North East England

Yorkshire & Humber

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-4.50&lat=55.74&fcTime=1354536060&regionName=uk

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Looks like the ski resorts are having a field day, the groomers have been out by the looks of it in Glencoe smiliz39.gif

summit.jpeg

http://www.winterhig...o/cams/glencoe/

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

It really is a very encouraging start up here, the regional thread is rammed with snow pics, the ski resorts are open for business. Continued cold and snow showers from all sides. We are getting good fortune out of this current period.

This stunning pic from the winterhighland walks page on fbook. Lucky individual with some great views !

post-7292-0-28037800-1354624519_thumb.jp

Posted

BBC weathers Chris Fawkes has tweeted this today

'I spy with my little eye Scandinavian high. Ecmwf [European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts] forecast middle of December could bring us really bitter snowy weather....fingers crossed!'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

again the usial places getting the snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Thanks Chris, blowtorch SW'ly on the way then for mid December biggrin.png

Like last Christmas then! I remember it being a lovely sunny Christmas day and on boxing day got to head home in just a t-shirt! Certainly made things easier for those drunken walks home ;)

No snow here yet this winter but am thinking we could see some significant snowfall by months end. General consensus seems to be the winter will be colder than average and my gut instinct tells me some very disruptive snowfalls are likely across many areas at some point during the winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fresh n Funky

Thanks Chris, blowtorch SW'ly on the way then for mid December biggrin.png

You think you're funny but the Meto is still a superb weather forecasting organisation. Quite frankly met office bashing is dull and shows a severe shortage of wit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I think Eugene was probably joking.. crazy.gif

Posted

What happened to this section of the forum? It always used to be buzzing with people posting about the cold weather - now, threads like this, are pretty much dead.

Are the cold weather rampers hiding somewhere that i cannot access on the forum!? :(

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

What happened to this section of the forum? It always used to be buzzing with people posting about the cold weather - now, threads like this, are pretty much dead.

Are the cold weather rampers hiding somewhere that i cannot access on the forum!? sad.png

Try the regionals!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

They are all posting in the Model thread or the regional forums - try the North of England regional forum Snow_Fan_Man, there are plenty of other people there from the North West, including Wirral, and they all want one thing: snow.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Things are starting to get interesting for this winter.Have watched MOD threads for last week with interest and things i think are slightly tilted for cold spell to develop after this weekend coming.If it comes off,we may have a 10-14 day cold period with snow quite probable at one stage or another across the UK.So far from Yorkshire Northwards there has already been snow in last 5 days and this may extend a little further South to the dreaded" M4 corridor".Living in Kent,i think i will have to wait till next week before i get to see any snow,but we shall see.One thing that has struck me is the lack of any mild days since Mid November which were the norm this time last year.Reading the LRFs across the board most are going for a more blocked and cold Dec and Jan with Feb becoming Milder.The one exception is BG on Weather Outlook who seems to think worst of winter will be in Feb.Time will tell but for cold lovers this winter i am quietly confident will be much colder than last winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Looks like the Meto are leaning towards the easterly scenario now. This from Ian Fergusson;

you've probably also seen @metoffice comment today on SSW hints. Broad pointers are towards colder E'rly dig into mid-month now.

: @fergieweather seen the 18z GFS Ian ?any thoughts" Yeah, the broad easterly component is consistent with EC32 & UKMO outlook

Posted

BBC weathers Chris Fawkes has tweeted this today

'I spy with my little eye Scandinavian high. Ecmwf [European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts] forecast middle of December could bring us really bitter snowy weather....fingers crossed!'

Always had a feeling Chris Fawkes was a bit of a coldie, good on him, enjoy listening to his forecasts! Not afraid to let off a bit of his knowledge either!