Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

EC joins the NAE and UKMO in it's optimistic view pre-96.

BBC forecast on the News Channel was interesting- heavy snow for NE England tomorrow evening, and then again on Monday morning, before turning to rain late on- I don't know if that's old or not- but it highlights how close it will be, and how it's what happens on the day that matters.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Any precip here in Newcastle still chiefly wet but with hail mixed in. Car thermometer shows 3c-4c which would indicate we're a long way from snow here.

It's actually 2.5C ish so not far off, and the sleet is turning more to snow now. I reckon if there's any precipitation left around midnight we could get a quick dusting, but the Met Office warning of 5-10cm on the hills is starting to look silly.

Edited by Alza

Posted

-0.8c here and dropping away nicely.nothing on the pecip front though.

it's as dry as a witches tit up here.

Edited by peterf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

-0.8c here and dropping away nicely.nothing on the pecip front though.

it's as dry as a witches tit up here.

Are witches tits dry?

And how do you know?

Posted

Now't happening tonight in my opinion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn and Winter

Now't happening tonight in my opinion.

I think the best bet as after 00:00 onwards...., rest assured 1cm of snow on the western bypass on Monday and everything will shut down.

Posted

EC joins the NAE and UKMO in it's optimistic view pre-96.

BBC forecast on the News Channel was interesting- heavy snow for NE England tomorrow evening, and then again on Monday morning, before turning to rain late on- I don't know if that's old or not- but it highlights how close it will be, and how it's what happens on the day that matters.

I never seen the forecast but that what the graphics seem to indicate on the BBC forecast on the website, I wonder the turning to rain bit is when winds switch to an easterly I wonder or its just one of those things with the graphics?

Regarding the potential snowfall tomorrow night, then this is getting bought forward for certain, I just hope we got enough cold air both in the air and on the ground by the time it comes and makes it presence felt.

Posted

Any comments on ECM? How does it look? Flow looks to be cut off on Thurs/too slack, with all the ppn a bit further S of our region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Any comments on ECM? How does it look? Flow looks to be cut off on Thurs/too slack, with all the ppn a bit further S of our region.

ECM much better than GFS re uppers and flow on the 24, 48, 72 and 96.. after that the GFS is better as the energy doesn't sink below the block-

snow on the EC from Monday until Wednesday- probably Tuesday until Saturday on GFS.

Posted

just got no moisture that's all.

You still banging on about your witch?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I never seen the forecast but that what the graphics seem to indicate on the BBC forecast on the website, I wonder the turning to rain bit is when winds switch to an easterly I wonder or its just one of those things with the graphics?

Regarding the potential snowfall tomorrow night, then this is getting bought forward for certain, I just hope we got enough cold air both in the air and on the ground by the time it comes and makes it presence felt.

This is what we can expect during the day, an area of prolonged and at times heavy snow based on the 06z data

monsnow.png

Later in the day this is what the latest forecast suggests again based on the 06z data

snow.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

according to the radar there is showers out there but mostly piling into north yorkshire especially the grimsby area probably get a good covering there looking dry for the northern part of the region especially. durham area probably zip all night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Light snow here, much less wet than before.

Posted

One problem is the predictions for more sleet than snow from the MetO forecasts- and the signal for the same on the hi-res NMM.

Are there any links to the hi-res NMM?

Posted

aye snowing here since 9pm,not settling though apart from on the cars and greenhouse.

Are there any links to the hi-res NMM?

ya pays ya money like all of us.just get a months subscription,great value with the upcoming synoptics.

Posted

A cold winter's day over the Lake District. Ventured into the eastern fells which were frosted up with a dusting of snow, much more snow on the central fells - last night's precip must have intensified as it moved westwards across the county - quite unusual to see more snow on the western fells than the eastern in an easterly airstream.

This evening widespread early air frost here with clear skies.

As for snow tomorrow, much of the region away from far western coastal parts of Cumbria should see some snow, how heavy and long lasting remains to be seen, but it does look like arriving into western parts preety early, wouldn't be surprised if we see some before midday. Tomorrow night will stay cold before we see a new front move in from the NW later in the night, the east should see more snow from this feature, Cumbria may see more of wintry mix especially lower ground, but again remains to be seen and if the precip is heavy evaporative cooling should ensure central and eastern parts of the county hold onto snow rather than rain.

From Monday night onwards the main problem is going to be ice, the snow isn't going to thaw, so I'm expecting lots of posts of people saying they are stranded in...