Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion - The Hunt For Cold -12z 14/12/12

phil nw.

Posted

Im moving to Scotland if the UKMO is right. Who will have me??

http://www.meteociel...20-21.GIF?16-17

Difference between the 06Z/12Z is laughable.

Im not making a forecast except that I do feel NE Scotland is the place to be as I said this morning.

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

We definitely are 'getting closer'; the question is: to what?

Christmas.

And also, this:

UW120-21.GIF?16-17

Now THAT could be heaven for Scotland (pending a quick check on the uppers)...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Plenty of us down the east coast on the Scottish thread who would take you ingood.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Im not making a forecast except that I do feel NE Scotland is the place to be as I said this morning.

100 miles south and well all be staying where we are!

Posted

This is even better than the GFS as the low is further south and east!

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Christmas.

And also, this:

UW120-21.GIF?16-17

Now THAT could be heaven for Scotland (pending a quick check on the uppers)...

Reckon northern England could get involved with that chart im starting to get interested now the models are gradually trending this cold air south and west the BI would appreaciate the visit

Posted

We're close TEITS, the question is can we continue this trend another 200 miles further south and give us the outcome we desire?

It's a tough one. Probably 60:40 against.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold with Fog, Frost and Snow all Hitting the Spot

Now whats happening at 144 another breakaway low? http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn1441.png Med bound. Doubt it.

Sod the models they're just playing with our afflictions

We definitely are 'getting closer'; the question is: to what?

Further dissapointment.

Edited by AGAL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Run seems to promise an attack from the East, North or even both...Will it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Bulls-eye for the UK could get very messy if this verifies and more trouble for already flooded areas... http://cdn.nwstatic....171/h500slp.png

If this does verify Christmas day could be very cold as we drag down those colder uppers on the back edge of the low, however it has to move east!

Edited by panayiotis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I think the amount of rainfall from this run should also be taken into account. Most of Ireland , Wales and C/S England especially.

Weds 19th

ukprec.png

Thurs 20th, 24 hours later.

ukprec.png

Saturday 22nd

ukprec.png

ukprec.png

Sunday 23rd - Quite a powerful Low pressure system over the UK:

h850t850eu.png

Details will change this far out and knowing the GFS, these may weaken as we get closer to the day. Something to watch over this week as well as cold seeking haha...

Edited by Chris K

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Pretty big jump there between the o6z and 12z to be fair and so there lies the uncertainty.Anything past 120hrs is up in the air

Posted

Been looking through historical charts on wetterzentrale and you are really are hard pushed trying to find hard winters in the UK, there almost none existant search.gif.

1963,1947 and 1895 being really the only ones in the last 140 years. So where talking like 1 great winter every 50 years, I think a lot of people's expectations in here are a little OTT in what they want to see in the charts!

Although we are hard pushed in finding the perfect winter synoptics for the whole season, we are still able to get the odd rare ''super cold spell' that I've noticed usually come inside a very poor winter or can happen at any stage of the winter.

So when I hear winters over posts this early or where soooo unlucky I just find it funny smile.png The next big thing could be just around the corner and we wouldn't be any the wiser as there's usually little warning and no obvious signs to suggest what's coming. To me the weather really does what it wants and the amount of things going on at once meteorologically, I think even our best computers are still miles off predicting what our weather will show past two weeks as the butterfly effect across our small island that is the UK is really emphasized.

Look at where we are now compared to the great winter of 1894/95

Rrea00118941216.gif

Rrea00218941216.gif

(Current charts)

Rtavn061.png

Rtavn062.png

Not a lot of difference to be honest. And let's face it there's been a fair few people rate our current output as dire.

The winter of 1895 all kicked off from a simple retrogressing high towards greenland and a resulting northerly (just like the models are hinting at at long range ; ) get me gist blum.gif)

Rrea00118941230.gif

The rest was history:

Rrea00118950131.gif

Rrea00118950207.gif

Rrea00218950207.gif

I think we should forget about this phantom easterly and hoping for little westward movements every run, the chances of anything noteworthy are futile and like nick sussex said earlier, the longer this none event hangs around the longer it will take for anything more substantial to develop. I want the high to retreat back back east and let's see if we can get some retrogression towards/after christmas, a northerly shown on the ECM in it's latter stages would be most welcome and COULD be the preluder to something BIG!

And what do you know, the last big winter came exactly 50 years ago whistling.gif

very well put

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

This chart is miles better than the 06z and screams potential http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1681.png!!! That would only take at 200 mile southward drop and BINGO!!! It is LALA land so the usual caveats apply of course, but if it did trend south then the whole uk could be involved in time for xmas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

What's the chances of the GFS over deepening that low though?

Rather high if I know the GFS.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

The differences between the 06z and the 12z are laughable

gfsnh-0-192.png?6

12z

gfsnh-0-186.png?12

Posted

A few days back I could not see any route to cold for Xmas. Now, there is a clear route but it is still pretty unlikelyfor areas south of Northern England. As an earlier post suggested rainfall could once again be the big news in the run up to xmas.

If the gfs run came off then severe floods across much of England and Wales would be the headline, throw in some severe gales as well!

I suspect the runs will moderate as we get closer, however the rainfall event for wed/ thursday could tip the balance in some of the saturated areas of the country.

Posted

Just think if that LP was around 100 miles further S we wouldn't have to worry about the in laws coming round for xmas!

gfs-0-186.png?12