Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion 18Z 8/1/13. The hunt for cold (is closer).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Controlo run, mildest in Hi Res, coldest in FI,tease.gifrofl.gif

gensnh-0-0-360.png?0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.

Well I'm still hoping things will turn out fine. Short term still looks good to me though not sure about next week as things stand at the moment though.

Why is it that we finally get all 3 models on board and they all agree with each other and then suddenly 1 of them decided to change lol..

Still a happy bunny though :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
MT8_London_ens.pngMT2_London_ens.png Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

One thing to keep in our minds at the moment is what IF said about the lowest amount of confidence the Meto have in terms of the model output. Should the runs be good or poor. Latest GFS not as good longer term due to lack of heights building to NW. UKMO at T144 looks good. Which ever way the ECM goes will not be decisive as FI is about T72 for me and the GH being modeled to be there or not is out of this time scale.

Ironically the GFS short ensembles are going to look much better than the 18Z or 12Z ones!

The 00z ensemble mean looks not bad, fairly chilly right through. If I've read the chart right on Meteociel the spread of 850 temps isn't too wild either, will wait until the graphs are out to pass judgement though :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The 00z ensemble mean looks not bad, fairly chilly right through. If I've read the chart right on Meteociel the spread of 850 temps isn't too wild either, will wait until the graphs are out to pass judgement though :lol:

I think one cluster has cold throughout pretty much, others a bit more up and down, fewer very mild runs. The op was bound to be above the mean one of these runs!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

ECM has a sturdier height build at +72 than the GFS or UKMO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

One thing to keep in our minds at the moment is what IF said about the lowest amount of confidence the Meto have in terms of the model output. Should the runs be good or poor. Latest GFS not as good longer term due to lack of heights building to NW. UKMO at T144 looks good. Which ever way the ECM goes will not be decisive as FI is about T72 for me and the GH being modeled to be there or not is out of this time scale.

Indeed. His phrase was their 'Shannon Entropy' was off the scale. I guess that means too much volatility and scatter, maybe due to the Strat or maybe other factors. I'm just looking forward to the short term this w/e and live from day to day… what else can we do?

Posted

Before people start worrying about FI with the gfs too much, please remember it's FI and that conversely the ensembles are much better...

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=charts;type=ens;sess=

Mean in London -5 or below with some seriously cold options...

Stays cold at the surface throughout... (I know these are night temps!)

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn12017.png

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn14417.png

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn16817.png

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn19217.png

ECM looks great so far...

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1201.gif

Still all to play for!

Posted

The most confusing episode of winter continues so far, next few runs are absolutely crucial. Aften the ECM ens last night its difficult to see how it can back track but I'm prepared for it doing so, least we still got our giant straw clutch the GEM. Can't see the UKMO? What's it like?

To be honest given the way that the GFS ensembles have been trending the last few runs, this was bound to appear on the operational at some stage. The option for the jet to go over the top was ( and still is) a possibility and the GFS sees enough support to go with that option this time. It Is just one option and, given the model variability at the moment and the fact that the ensembles have trended back towards cold, it doesn't really clear up too much. It's a shame because if the op had stayed cold and the ensembles showed the same support then I would be much more confident of the outcome. As it is, until we see the ECM it doesn't mean an awful lot. On top of that, we won't really have much more confidence for post Monday until Friday' s runs IMHO as we get closer to D- day where the split takes place and the jet goes north or south. That jet split is the single most important part of the jigsaw right now and, given the clearly conflicting signals being picked up by the models we clearly need to have a good idea of the setup immediately prior before we can proclaim an ice age.

I think the GFS figured it would be too boring to have full and total agreement across the board!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Could be very very interesting- I see Emily on BBC Spotlight in Plymouth has rain and 8c for Devon and Cornwall on Saturday- but only mentioned upto Friday.

Looks like Ian F was correct- that Low on Saturday could still go further north.- snow for south Midlands?

Posted

Russia stole our Greenland HP...

npsh500.png

Poor set up compared to what was showing last run. Back to the SW'lys, jet pulled north, PV chunk around Greenland, de ja vu.

Was this winter doomed from the start? I wonder what charts we'll be looking at come evening time?!

it's for the 22nd of Jan - who cares??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,storms and sunshine!!!

Looks like the ECM is sticking to its guns this morning!! Greenland high inbound from +144 onwards

Posted

Looks like the ECM is sticking to its guns this morning!! Greenland high inbound from +144 onwards

Or maybe not. T168 is very different to last run. So good short term, long term much to decided.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

In the words of Mr Murr......BOOM!

ECH1-144.GIF?09-12

Always going to happen. GFS wobbles, ECM firms up. Still looking good but would be better for everyone's stress levels if the GFS 6z backtracks away from the 0z!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Or maybe not. T168 is very different to last run. So good short term, long term much to decided.

Different but snow potential to 168 is through the roof. Western areas cop it between 120-144 then a little kink in the isobars right over Steve Murr's house at 168 with convective activity further north. Oh and chances of Atlantic incursion snow post 168. Most people would see snow on this run.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Nothing too tragic about this one…

post-8078-0-02735800-1357714059_thumb.gi

Edited by Iceni

Posted

Different but snow potential to 168 is through the roof. Western areas cop it between 120-144 then a little kink in the isobars right over Steve Murr's house at 168 with convective activity further north. Oh and chances of Atlantic incursion snow post 192. Most people would see snow on this run.

Agreed. Main difference is that at T168 PV not split. Good run but I would like to see GH for the cold to keep coming.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Nothing too tragic about this one…

High pressure stretches from the Urals to central Greenland at 168.....nowt tragic at all. Bitterly cold to this point.

Posted

Ecm looks fantastic but starts to worry me re risk in the medium term. That undercut could end up too far north. Looks like a very compelling days watching again. If the undercut is right and the block stays strong enough, we could be looking at a sustained cold spell as we saw on the crazy gfs runs yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fresh n Funky

I see the moaning slowly creeping back in. Could I remind you all we don't live in Siberia and this isn't 1963. The RELIABLE timeframe looks fantastic.