Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion 18Z 8/1/13. The hunt for cold (is closer).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Even with the introduction of the SSW.the same old outcome...just hoping the other models can raise our spirits south of london

Posted

Ouch, poor 06Z GFS coming up.

Why do I get the feeling this is going to be a carbon copy of what happened last month?

In ECM we trust.

I wouldn't, this is reminding me way to much of December 2012.

On this basis and the fact it just seems impossible to obtain decent cold in this country, ECM will start to backtrack towards the GFS.

Like I say no evidence just historical.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Yes not good in regards to shortwave scatter, but by no means a done deal....await 12z..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

http://modeles.meteo...snh-0-138.png?6

Lousy 06z but then when was the 06z any good...

A long wait for the 12's tonight -

S

Yes the shortwave by Iceland i think is our problem here. However, no other model currenly supports this shortwave so until it shows on the other models, the GFS may be wrong atm. As you say Steve, long wait for 12z and hopefully the ECM and UKMO won't show this shortwave in their 12z outputs. If the GFS has this shortwave wrong, then the whole output will be wrong as it will affect the whole pattern

Edited by bradythemole

Posted

I asked this yesterday but no-one answered: I thought the general idea was an initial cold spell, ie the weekend, followed by an Atlantic-driven spell, followed by a re-establishment of cold, is that not what Ian F suggested? So no real panic if a temporary milder spell surely?

Also the ridiculous over-reaction to every single run by some people really makes it hard for others to learn.

Edited by polarlow2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Can you lot go and moan in the moaning thread, please?good.gif

Posted

No point looking any further. Awful run unfortunately. PV powering up again and Shortwaves all over the place. Hopefully an outlier.

gfsnh-0-144.png?6

Edited by Shrimper

Posted

Good grief even I didn't expect something this dismal from the GFS 06hrs run.

The thing I don't like with all this constant chopping and changing is that as you get to within 144hrs theres less room for changes so when the final chop comes we'd better hope its for cold and snow and not the underwhelming picture painted by the GFS.

Posted

now to see if the op is a mild outlier. SWlies galore by +150.

we've seen this before so don't be too disheartened if others follow suit. I'd give it another day before consistency will emerge, either way

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Not sure why you are clapping and getting excited at such a long distance?

I'm clapping it because it looks like we are going to have our first prolonged very cold spell with snowclap.gif

The Ecm 00z is stunning for a cold outlook from the weekend onwardscold.gif

Posted

Thanks Ian. What I don't understand though is if there going with the ECM then why would there only be snow from birmingham northwards, i'm looking at the ECM 850s temp for saturday and the 850 temps further south are the same as birmingham?

Looking at the Meto surface pressure charts and ECM the difference is the thickness, 528 Dam runs Very top of NE Wales to Norfolk diagonally just about clipping Birmingham so if data is correct that must be the reason. Alot can change in 3 days thou.

Plus im guessing thats the difference they see, it seems the most obvious one to me.

Posted

The GEFS control yesterday at 12z showed a similar outcome. This is what I feared and what I was ridiculed for.

My point then, and is still the same now, is this is far from sorted! It will more than likely go down to the wire (sorry for the parlance), but I would expect a firm outcome by the 12z ECM and GFS today. Who know, maybe this run will be an outlier in the GEFS now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

http://modeles.meteo...snh-0-138.png?6

Lousy 06z but then when was the 06z any good...

A long wait for the 12's tonight -

S

I do have a lot of respect for your posts Steve, but honestly I really don't get this 6Z isn't as good as the 12Z thing, I know the 12Z gets slightly more data fed into it from weather balloons or something but if the 06Z was that useless, they wouldn't run it.

Starting to see consistency now for mild/average mid-term, can't see the 12Z doing much apart from giving false hope if a stella run is delivered.

Posted

Not a great 06z but remember it was only two days ago that this weekend was being written off and we had no chance of snow, the 72hr to 120hr period is always tricky for us as small changes make a big difference, however this can change as we have seen over the last couple of days.

Posted

Looking like a very short cold snap on the 06z, I sense we will see further downgrades in the short/medium term as the day goes on. Could the curse of December come back to haunt us in January.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Come on guys, we cant take one run and say it is going to happen, whether it shows raging Easterlies or South Westerlies, if it shows again on the 12z's then granted we need to worry, or worse cross model agreement, but it is just one run, we've seen ,more flips than the gymnastics at the Olympics this week, so lets just see would be my urge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: all weather types!

The 06z is zonal zonal zonal from Monday onwards!