Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 11/01/13 ------->

A.J

Posted

Here in Wirral, we have rain when Runcorn has snow, so imagine how we feel.. rofl.gif

I am fine with that , since we get the snow too, then again pretty much equal temperatures

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Morning

nice upgrades from the UKMO and GFS we all join the fun now that warm sector has gone as far as our region

is concerned

game well and truely on for everyone for sun night/monday

C.S

Posted

Morning

nice upgrades from the UKMO and GFS we all join the fun now that warm sector has gone as far as our region

is concerned

game well and truely on for everyone for sun night/monday

C.S

The GFS still shows a warm sector for our region. The UKMO model is not bad though. The forecast on the met office web site shows rain for my area (Northwich) on Monday which goes against their model. So it would seem they are backing the GFS. Worth mentioning that the NAE is showing snow. This has been wrong in the past though.

Posted

Could Macclesfield see any of this Snow Sun into Monday?

we dont seem to do bad here for the white stuff.

With out doubt. You guys are further east and higher up. I might end up driving there if I don't get any.

Posted

Temp has continued to fall throughout the night (albeit very slowly - probably due to the slack flow) with an ENE wind direction.

Currently 2C with dp at -1C. Lets hope the trend continues and we keep an easterly element to the flow which will enhance our snow chances through Sunday night into Monday. Especially for those further west and closest to the Irish Sea.

Wigan smile.png

Edited by Brass_Monkeys

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

bbc gives me light snow, from 8pm tomorrow upto 6am monday, but then has it turning to rain before clearing away, hope thats wrong as fax charts show the warm sector nowhere near here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Forget the PPN charts they are useless

Example for my location at 0800

GFS Light snow

WRONG

NAE Light Rain

WRONG

METO partly cloudy no PPN

Correct

Meto PPN Charts for Sunday night/monday SNOW

See were i am going with this?

C.S

Posted

bbc gives me light snow, from 8pm tomorrow upto 6am monday, but then has it turning to rain before clearing away, hope thats wrong as fax charts show the warm sector nowhere near here

How do you identify a warm sector from the fax charts? Got a feeling I'll be looking for those in the coming days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A bitterly cold day here with temperatures around freezing and made woes by a stiff breeze.

Slight snow grains in the air but not sticking.

Certainly can't see any major changes from last night other than Monday's snow band is looking to arrive several hours earlier with snow likely in the northern half of the region by late Sunday afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

How do you identify a warm sector from the fax charts? Got a feeling I'll be looking for those in the coming days.

0n the 48 chart its just to west of ireland, then moves SSE just brushing cornwall

Posted

0n the 48 chart its just to west of ireland, then moves SSE just brushing cornwall

Ok thanks-that little warm front

Edited by martinj2

Posted

Difficult to say what will happen. Met off forecast for here (preston) has snow to sleet to rain, whilst east of here its all snow. Still say marginal for coast and just inland although it has changed in our favour over the past 12 hrs so you never know.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Yes would certainly take that chart, especially with the massive area of NW Scotland waiting in the wings.

Tbh I am very confident that all of the region will see snow from this event and the west may do very well out of it.

Hopefully the thread will change from will I get any to how much then on to OMG as time goes on.

Posted

Yes would certainly take that chart, especially with the massive area of NW Scotland waiting in the wings.

Tbh I am very confident that all of the region will see snow from this event and the west may do very well out of it.

Hopefully the thread will change from will I get any to how much then on to OMG as time goes on.

Just checked the link and its updated since, even better with a more solid dark pink section ( there was a split in the heavy stuff before)

Starts Sunday after lunch, hope the game is ok

Posted
Posted

As things stand at the moment, the fact that the ppn is forecast to arrive late evening and in the hours of darkness it allows for lower temps and a higher probability of snowfall.

Hopefully it will stay as snow come daylight and not turn to sleet/rain as some forecasts are suggesting. I for one find the BBC Met forecasts pretty accurate regards snowfall for our region, so I'll be paying close attention to tonight's and more so tomorrow mornings forecast.

NAE switches back to rain at 48 hpurs for the west,

http://www.weatheron...=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

Hmmm,yes quite a mixture across the UK on that chart,again the irish sea will be a pain as it always is in these events.Further east you are in the North west the better,obviously altitude will help.

In any case its going to be a nowcast job.