• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Drifting Snow in easterly winds, biting wind chill!

Again, way earlier than forecast. I really don't think BBC London News have got a handle on this at all. Their 2230 last night was a fail - the first snow forecast of the winter and they blew it. For those that didn't see it, they confidently pronounced that the front wouldn't even reach the SE...

Oh yes they did. What you fell for was there graphics at 5am (Showing next too nothing), but they did say it would clear the SE fragmenting as it does so.

They don't want any panic, so saying the NE will get heavy snow was a good way of ignoring the SE I'd suspect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Do you know ive that gut feeling that we are all going to have a big shock today with this system.. ok last night i got a dusting, but none of it is melting so the temps are right, ok we got cloud cover and no slightly warm sunrays to thaw this slight covering of snow, but if this remained the case wouldnt this cover also act to like a fridge and keep the dewpoints down etc so when the next band hits it keeps it as snow all the way through??

This is what I've been wondering.....hoping could happen?!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

We had about 1-2cm from 3:30am- 7am. Light snow flurries which were then followed by a bit heavier by 6am, so its not a bad covering, will post some pics up later :-) ...

P.S- Just starting to snow again here, though will surely be followed by rain not before to long.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Bbc south east.... 903am snow into kent this afternoon and heavy snow tonight for most of region.....

so are they now saying snow for East Kent??, very cold in ramsgate this morning still just below freezing wth snow cover this may make a differnce?

Posted

Oh yes they did. What you fell for was there graphics at 5am (Showing next too nothing), but they did say it would clear the SE fragmenting as it does so.

They don't want any panic, so saying the NE will get heavy snow was a good way of ignoring the SE I'd suspect.

The 2230 BBC London News forecast last night said that the front wouldn't get here - a dry night. That forecast was entirely wrong!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Drifting Snow in easterly winds, biting wind chill!

Typical that the dividing line is around London :-)

Of course London will be the dividing line! After all if the public here that, then they'll dismiss snow completely, and BANG! There's a surprise! It's all snow! London will get all snow today and tonight, put money on it! BBC Pfffft! Hate em'!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Of course London will be the dividing line! After all if the public here that, then they'll dismiss snow completely, and BANG! There's a surprise! It's all snow! London will get all snow today and tonight, put money on it! BBC Pfffft! Hate em'!

The Meto map shows heavy rain symbol for london

Posted

More on its way, but will each of us get snow or cold rain???/

ASII_20130114_0845.png

Posted

Ok, so i've just purchased the netweather radar - I'm using the V6 version (is this the best) and where can i find a link to describe the different colours on the radar? I take it pink is snow, but whats green?

Posted

Ok, so i've just purchased the netweather radar - I'm using the V6 version (is this the best) and where can i find a link to describe the different colours on the radar? I take it pink is snow, but whats green?

Rain. When you click 'weather type on' the scale and type is shown :good:

Edited by Coast

Posted

so are they now saying snow for East Kent??, very cold in ramsgate this morning still just below freezing wth snow cover this may make a differnce?

To be honest extreme North Kent may see sleety wet snow but we may be best not to clutch straws - upper air may just be too warm. Later this evening though it looks like warm air disappears and we get a snow event more to Eastern parts of Kent

Edited by RJM

Posted

london was always going to be a marginal borderline , diffcult really to call as all it takes a shift of 30-50 miles which is nothing in weather terms for choas to reign , its going to be a very interesting couple of hours .....snow/rain or snow / snow

Posted

i think snow south of london is optimistic for today, dewpoints are only just below freezing down here so there's little margin to keep it as snow. areas from london north should do ok. however, the good news is, the second front is moving quite quickly so any rain should only last about 3 hours before temps drop and the low wraps around bringing in north easterlies. kent, surrey and east sussex could do well out of it, possibly even west sussex. maybe i might even get some!

but you never know, keep watching dewpoints - and the radar!

Posted

sleet over the channel too.. I guess that would be a good sign of cold uppers?

Yep and people were saying (even up to yesterday) this was a North of the region event. Could be a few surprises in store today looking at the latest radar returns!

Posted

this seems like snow on its leading edge before turning to rain / sleet in the main band , shame really all we need is just a smidge of luck and we could have a real surprise here in london

sadly i say by 4pm we have rain :-(sad.png

but its all about nowcast and radar