Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - January 14th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

A "wrap around" is when the tail end of a low "wraps back around". So depending on when, If and temp will depend what happens later. I would just watch the radar today guys and buy NW EXTRA!!!!

I'm shocked that there could be anyone that doesn't already have it...

doh.gif

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

1-2cm here :)

Posted

Wish I had a crystal ball to know exactly how it will pan out today.

You don't need that, you need radar and a good lamppost!!!

Posted

First we had the "Blob", now we have the "Wrap Around".

Anyone care to talk about the implications of the latter.

Makes you look slimmer :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Very light dusting here in Petts Wood on grass and cars but not on roads and pavements.Think places like Biggin Hill and Knockholt which are about 6-700 ft ASL may do quite well this afternoon but Orpington area will just be sleet and wet snow which i think will wash area this mornings light covering.Thats my reading of charts but i hope those charts are wrong.I just need the snow band to move about 25 miles south of what is projected and then we may have some decent snowfall.BBC are still sticking to snow from North London Northwards and sleet South of Thames but we may get that sleet turning back to snow overnight.Interesting times and who would be a weather forecaster?

Posted

First post. Been reading avidly for months. Had a light dusting of grainy dry snow over night in Medway, light flurries now dying out.

As a driving instructor, snow is expensive for me, yet I get so excited at the thought of it. Couldn't sleep last night watching the 'Kent slapper' (living near Chatham, I couldn't help but laugh) being pushed away by the NW'ly. I know the BBC is saying this side of Thames will see rain more than snow later. I feel in my gut that isn't right.

I can see the next front heading across the midlands our way now, do we know what's supposed to be next on the menu after this (possibly rainy) front?

Posted

The lightest of dustings here reminds me of when I was a youngster growing up in the early 2000's!

I'm prepared for the melt and the rain though, good luck to those in the North of the region! If you have a little bit of snowcover already it could work in your favour

Posted

I was going for earlier mate..

8:30 radar grab so lets go for the 9 o clock charts..

post-12648-0-94361800-1358153511_thumb.j

13011409_1400.gif

NAE Aint got a bloody clue!

13011409_1406.gif

what time do you think it will hit london

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

A "wrap around" is when the tail end of a low "wraps back around". So depending on when, If and temp will depend what happens later. I would just watch the radar today guys and buy NW EXTRA!!!!

Do you have shares for the NW radar lol

Posted

The next band looks like it will hit the London area later than forecast

Really- the radar returns appear to suggest it will be here at 10am. May slow down or change direction though

Posted

Wish I had a crystal ball to know exactly how it will pan out today. Live in Surbiton, have to drive to Sutton Hospital for 11am, 13 y/o's school is in Uxbridge (special school for autistic kids hence distance, and he gets very anxious if I am ever late), and from the BBC maps and Yamkin and others on here, I can see it may well be a 'snow day'... and I don't like driving in snow. (Although goes without saying I LOVE the snow, as does my son, who is gutted not have a snow day already!) Ah well, will just have to slither around the burbs, as I just cannot bring myself to hope for rain!!!!

Well the latest NAE now has an all snow set up for London. We will have to hand it to Yamkin if he pulls this one off. http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/01/14/basis06/ukuk/prty/13011418_1406.gif

Posted

First post. Been reading avidly for months.

Welcome to Netweather - what a time to choose to un-lurk!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Very light snow started again. I appreciate many of you will want a proper dumping but I'm happy as this is now another winter that I've seen snow, already beating many dreadful ones in the 90's and 000's.

Nice pics from Littlehampton by the way. Not an area that traditionally does that well so pleased for them.

Posted

Looks like a slight adjustment south of the snow line this morning by about 20 miles based on regional forecasts (and frankly they are now the best bet at this range). Basically its now the Thames!!!!

Crikey, its going to be close this afternoon. A little 20 mile tweak south and London grinds to a halt, a little adjustment north and everyone wonders what the fuss is about.

Jason

Posted

Yeh ;)

As said above about 10 AM

Again, way earlier than forecast. I really don't think BBC London News have got a handle on this at all. Their 2230 last night was a fail - the first snow forecast of the winter and they blew it. For those that didn't see it, they confidently pronounced that the front wouldn't even reach the SE...

Edited by Downpour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Managed a dusting of snow here, quite pretty although the grass was still too wet from the recent rain for it to stick there, but looks pretty on the roofs and trees, not a bad way to start a cold spell.

Edited by BrightInBrighton