Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

West Midlands Regional Discussion

shuggee

Posted

Morning. Light snowfall here at present just starting to settle on cars.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

On the positive side... a few flakes today, looks like more flurries on the way which could give a covering. Then more forecast tomorrow. OK not as much but everything should settle once there is a base?

Posted

There's still a good chance it'll all be further east, we should be looking at what the radar's doing, not what the gfs is saying.

After all, last Monday's snow was well off the mark.

Posted

very disappointing words from matt hugo im afraid. the band will fizzle over the midlands with 2-5cm in places and very locally 10cm, wales and n.ireland look best placed. typical, and predictable!

Posted

There's still a good chance it'll all be further east, we should be looking at what the radar's doing, not what the gfs is saying.

After all, last Monday's snow was well off the mark.

It is always difficult, hillier areas in the south and west of the region may still do OK, lower lying areas a bit more hit and miss but at least temperatures will be low so any snow that does fall should stick. Plus of course it is a dynamic situation you can get small areas of increased precipitation embedded within the main zone so best not to worry just see what happens.

Posted

It is always difficult, hillier areas in the south and west of the region may still do OK, lower lying areas a bit more hit and miss but at least temperatures will be low so any snow that does fall should stick. Plus of course it is a dynamic situation you can get small areas of increased precipitation embedded within the main zone so best not to worry just see what happens.

Plus of course can you imagine the nightmare if you got stuck at work, better if the heaviest stuff falls after going home time on friday!

Posted

On my drive from Coventry to Market Harborough the temperature fluctuated quite a bit. -1.5°C at home 0°C on the M6 and -3°C here in Harborough. It is much whiter over here than at home. Was worried about the driving tomorrow but the weather on the BBC this morning shows the heavy snow all down towards the south west. I would love some decent snow but I still need to get to work. Matt Hugo also thinks the snow is going to be more in the West.sad.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Met office still has me forecast for snow all day fri & most of saturday, admittedly it's not snowmagedon but according to nw snow forecast its 15mm precip, = a good 10cm snow & it's well below freezing so no chance of it meting like it did Monday......

Posted

At this point we really should wait until tonight to see what precp will fall and even then we dont no for definite . We could get a cheshire gap streamer

Posted

Light snow here in Telford, forecast this morning showed us as dry!! I dunno why people are getting so down on here, I'll believe it will all be further west when it happens. Wait & see, interesting times ahead & certainly better than the mild mush we had over Christmas!!!

Posted

its still up for grabs tbf folks, i just hope being that bit further west will stand me in better stead for tomorrow. still think currently we'll get a few cms, although matt hugo really does paint a disappointing picture

Posted

At this point we really should wait until tonight to see what precp will fall and even then we dont no for definite . We could get a cheshire gap streamer

Given the likely wind direction I don't think that is likely but I would have thought you were far enough west to get some snow at least.

Posted

doubt very much we will get a cheshire stremaer...? The winds will be easterly not NW.

Posted

Oh god that would be awesome . I would run down the road with trousers round my ankles if we get that. I just want it to snow all day .

Posted

Light snow here in Telford, forecast this morning showed us as dry!! I dunno why people are getting so down on here, I'll believe it will all be further west when it happens. Wait & see, interesting times ahead & certainly better than the mild mush we had over Christmas!!!

I hope you mean "much further west" coz that doesn't make most of the Midlands much happier :-D

The BBC forecast says that the warnings are staying in place and that they may extend to more areas of the Midlands, so to me that shows that there's plenty enough low confidence for big change.

Who knows, we may miss it all together only for a massive easterly to blow troughs in off the north sea?

Posted

might ignore all forecasts/chops and changes and come back this evening at like 7..... oh who am i kidding, i want to check every single model output and FAX change in the run up to this event and the inevitable lows that come with it! sorry.gif

Don't be too down beat, as far as I'm aware this 'much weaker' front giving us light snow in Birmingham this norning was supposed to fizzle out over the mountains of Wales. Instead it has made is much further east. Good prospects perhaps therefore for the much stronger front coming in tomorrow...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Virgins

Amazing really, it takes a shortwave in the bloody IRISH SEA to make this thing pivot a few miles east of here.

The staffordshire snow shield strikes again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Light snow here, left a sprinkling, hopefully a starter for main course? although i do think tomorrows snow mainly light and patchy

Posted

Yes, no reason to get too downcast at this stage, it will pretty much come down to rader watching on the day, as it always does.

Plus, as I stated last night, at least if the main PPN stays to our south and west it will mean we stay within the colder air for longer, which improves our prospects over the weekend and into the start of next week :)

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

So near but yet so far, springs to mind...... yet again.

Oh well 5 to 10cm is better than nothing :-)

5-10 a little optimistic, just looks light and patchy, may just manage 2cms if we are lucky