Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 14/01/13, 12z Onwards

Coast

Posted

I really hope there is no more correction north of that atlantic system,that would be a disaster for us but hey ho there will be changes before fri,its a catch 22,the further south the low the better for long term cold,ecm looks quite borderline for us tho

HD I found this site (someone posted it up in the MO thread the other day) uses ECM data apparently.

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Preston/long.html

Make of it what you will.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

subtropical today.. 5C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

2C here and partly cloudy according to my iphone weather app. Its not it is wall-to-wall sunshine here.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

subtropical today.. 5C

Really? Mine is showing 3.4 ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow

Lets hope we get lucky on Friday. Am trying not to build my hopes up but its very difficult!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

These are potentially our 'jackpot' synoptics. As with any jackpot, it isn't easy to win, and you risk getting nothing at all, but if you get lucky you win big. This is the kind of situation that gave us our February 1996 blizzard, the smaller version in February 2001 and the snow associated with 1947. Our region needs the fronts coming in from the west, an easterly would have to be the king of all easterlies to effect us, and most northerlies, except for when they line up perfectly with a little north west kink over the Irish see a la 2009/10, are no goes for us due to our shelter by hills to the north. Strong cold synoptics most often deliver sunshine for us. Don't get sucked into the 'this is a massive downgrade' lark on the model thread, most of the commentators in there live in the south east and don't stand to gain from these situations, they want a channel low for its snow and then the easterly reboot it would cause, but that would miss us to the south and then the easterly would leave us dry. We have the chance to hit the jackpot here, that’s got to be worth a roll of the dice. We might lose, get half an hours sleet and a day of rain; but we might not.

This post is exactly what I was thinking, we need our weather from the west to give us any snow potential, easterlies are rubbish for us. I am staying out of the mod thread as it gets confusing when downgrad gets posted all over the place, you forget what you are supposed to be looking for. Thanks Tricky smile.png

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Cold spell has started here today temp 1.9c, sunny and crisp winters day, fantastic.biggrin.png

Ditto.

Gorgeous sunshine -- so nice to see after so many months of cloud and rain. Temp now 1.7C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

I think it will snow on Friday because its more windier than the last one. Maybe the windchill may help it to snow.

It be about -5C to -7C windchill if were lucky.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

My weather app is saying 3 degrees although its 2.2 outside but feels like -3 my weather app is also showing 3 snowflakes now for friday when it was showing 1 all week lol

Posted

I'm 3.1c here, bright and sunny, no cloud except some which is off the coast. Off out with Meggymoo for a nice walk and play in the park

Popped onto metcheck before they're showing snow for us(me) all day friday/sat with snow showers sunday and they have used the 06z?

Edited by Jan

Posted

My weather app is saying 3 degrees although its 2.2 outside but feels like -3 my weather app is also showing 3 snowflakes now for friday when it was showing 1 all week lol

3 snowflakes .... better than your average winter then laugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Ooh and its showing one blob of snow for sunday too with two slashes of sleet or is that rain? Lol

Posted

3 snowflakes .... better than your average winter then laugh.png

3 more than what I've had

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Stunning winter sunshine and not a cloud to be seen, feels very cold at only 1.8c and it'll start to drop over the next hour as the sun dives toward the horizon. smile.png

Hoping the GFS is over doing the front progression at the end of the week, it is notorious for over cooking the Atlantic so heres hoping the euro models are handling this situation better. We need the front aligned nw to se with a feed of bitter cold and low dew point air right off the continent, not to far east or it'll turn to rain and not to far out west or we'll miss the snow altogether!

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Nothing forecast for here Friday, a light snow shower for Saturday.

Over the Road in Oldham both Friday and Saturday are dry but -2 below freezing with a 15mph south easterly....... Brrrrr

Today its wall to wall sunshine after the early light showers....... Lovelygood.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Really? Mine is showing 3.4 ?

Yep 5.2C the maximum today.. falling a little now though 4.3C currently.

New Brighton only got 2.1C maximum today.

Posted

Anyone else noticed how quiet the model thread is, could it be down to the fact that those in the West are looking at a snow event whilst those in the SE and East get zilch. No talk of Easterlies or Thames streamers and day dreamers, makes a refreshing change I'd say.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer

Posted

Well top temp here today 1.5c! Very cold with bright sunshine! iPhone weather app has me down for snow Thursday, Friday and Sunday! Looking at the current situation next 48hrs will be crucial

Anyone else noticed how quiet the model thread is, could it be down to the fact that those in the West are looking at a snow event whilst those in the SE and East get zilch. No talk of Easterlies or Thames streamers and day dreamers, makes a refreshing change I'd say.

Yeah for the few northerners on here the next 48hrs will be make or break for a huge snow event? I just can't see the Atlantic winning just yet! Fingers crossed