Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 14/01/13, 12z Onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

The temperature here as well is not as low as i would have expected , currently -0.3c, there's a long way to go if it's gonna drop to the -3c or -4c that's been forecast

Think the UKMO undercut is a bit unlikely judging by the other models and ens. just favouring a snow to rain on Saturday/Sunday. There are a couple of slow moving fronts before a weekend battleground though that could give surprise snows on Thursday or even Wednesday before more likely on Friday. Wishing for a big push westwards doesn't really help this region if wanting snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers, cold winters.

yup forecast minus 1 here and its currently plus 4.lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold please!

Don't think it gets properly cold until the small hours of the morning.

Posted

Looks like a snow shower has made it across, it's just south of the lakes is heading SW. Does n't look like there's much left in it though.

BAmieTOCUAAsLVO.jpg

Edited by johnwirral

Posted

Oh well night all no point staying up waiting for snow tonight.

See you tommorow :)

Posted

The wind has certainly picked up in the last hours or so after being dead- not sure what is going on to be honest, however, we haven't seen any further precipitation. Winds are due to fall light later in the night, with mins down close to -5 degrees, indeed the BBC are suggesting some spots around here could go down to -8 degrees, such temps won't occur if we maintain this strange wind which has pepped up out of nowhere..

Its been a wintry 36 hours or so, we have retained a good covering of snow on favoured surfaces and all the fields are plastered lovely white with many trees clothed white thanks to no wind all day.

Posted

What are our regions chances towards the end of the week? Looking through the model thread the talk seems to be about Wales and the SW? Anything for the NW in the offing?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Not long in from work and trying to catch up on the charts and the mod thread and according to NW home forecast chart the snow potential for my area has increased quite a bit? It does feel a heck of a lot colder out there tonight, the wind is biting, we've had rain showers on and off all day, my car was really iced up and the door was frozen shut, didn't think it was that cold yet, temp on car was -1.8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Temperatures holding firm at 2.2C here. I wonder if the GFS is writing the temperatures as if there's snow on the ground nation-wide?

Posted

Temperatures holding firm at 2.2C here. I wonder if the GFS is writing the temperatures as if there's snow on the ground nation-wide?

Just checked my weather station I'm at 2.9c, unless it's the windchill as that wont register on the thermometer, just realised thats probably why my car was soo frozen up

Posted

BBC24 just showed a front sitting in irish sea from weds onwards???? Obviously open to change BUT if that front goes all classic on us we could see more than one event out of it?

EDIT:- Sen it wrong lol

Edited by Winter Monsoon

Posted

Snow potential has now gone down IMBY with the latest GFS, its now a day or so later.............that always happens grrrrr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Never pin hopes on GFS precip charts more than a couple of days away.

Besides, if that verified we'd be looking at an all rain event, so pray it's wrong. :)

Posted

I'm not pinning my hopes on the GFS or any of the models. I am going to use the JLS, it's normally ok and I find a bit more reliable

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

We live in the NW of England, it's quite clear we will get a rain event. rofl.gif

In the mean time it's 3.0C here, and holding steady.

I'm slightly perplexed at the -8C the BBC forecast were dishing around for the NW of England.. I very much doubt that.

Edited by SP1986

Posted

Of course we will get rain, we've had it for the last 12 months, why should it change now. I can't see the temps getting that low either, I think they are being over zealous or protecting themselves. 3.6c here it's gone up since before?!

Edited by Jan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, storms

Temp at -1.9. I'd wondered if it would even get below 0 with the temps as they were around 1am!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Haven't looked at the models this morning as getting ready for work is the priority at stupid o'clock.

However BBC forecast this morning seem to still be talking about "interesting" weather this morning.

Hopefully this turns out to be stalling fronts, heavy snow and blizzards and our region is at the heart of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, storms

Haven't looked at the models this morning as getting ready for work is the priority at stupid o'clock.

However BBC forecast this morning seem to still be talking about "interesting" weather this morning.

Hopefully this turns out to be stalling fronts, heavy snow and blizzards and our region is at the heart of it.

Still looking good on GFS this morning :)

Posted

BBC seem quite adamant of some sort of battle event Friday but saying the exact position of the front is difficult to say at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Is it me or Is it cloudy here? any chance of snow out of that anyone? I kindve feeling it is gonna snow here.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted

Not much frost here at all, just slight, not what I was expecting. Quite decent cloud cover too, currently 0.9c, calm and dry. I see our snow risk for Friday into Saturday is back on, a good potential aswell..............I refuse to get ramped up!