Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 14/01/13, 12z Onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

If the Gfs verifies (and at t72 probability is rising) then we will be digging ourselves out at some point on Sunday.

Copious amounts of snow and strong winds.

My mistake, we get hit again Sunday afternoon!!

Posted

Just one word for this GFS run.

HAPPEN.

I would sacrifice the rest of winter for an event like the one shown tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Its getting colder out here and frost is forming already here. Freezing here in terms of temperature.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted

Great charts for the region today but quite literally just on the right side of the 850's needed. With any luck there won't be any movement eastwards.

h850t850eu.png

Edited by kev19

Posted

Going to be a bit snowy heading to the Pub on Friday smiliz39.gif still a wee dram or two should suffice as a celebratory toast if all goes to plan model-consensus wise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

12z certainly looks the part but will it deliver? if it's still showing on thursday morning I might start believing

Posted

Yup holding out for thurs for my ramping! Great to see Ian ramping! :-)

Posted

Anyone with a bit more knowledge ..... 6 hrs since the last run, how can there be this much variance between the output from this model ? seems way OTT to me how the thing swings from run to run. I know we are looking (relativley speaking) at unusual synoptics here but really the changes are quite incredible within a 6hr timeframe.

I suppose that said it can quite easily swing back the other way.

Posted

My weather app has changed to snow on Thursday and Friday and Sunday. Where has the Thursday one come from?

Mine too?!

Posted

Anyone with a bit more knowledge ..... 6 hrs since the last run, how can there be this much variance between the output from this model ? seems way OTT to me how the thing swings from run to run. I know we are looking (relativley speaking) at unusual synoptics here but really the changes are quite incredible within a 6hr timeframe.

I suppose that said it can quite easily swing back the other way.

Each of the 4 GFS runs use different starting data sets. The 06z and 18z are generally considered the less reliable, and over recent days the 06z has been most progressive with the Atlantic (although I've not seen every 18z).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I suspect the GFS is hugely exaggerating everything, from the snow totals to the temperatures.

That said, I suspect the GFS has massively undestimated the temperatures tonight. Already -0.3C and dropping still at a rate of -5C/hr. I suspect the -3C forecast will look a bit silly at dawn tomorrow.

Posted

Firstly what an absolutely barnstorming GFS and UKMO, if this was to verify it would surpass February 1996 even. But before we go all orgasmic on this lets remember just how many times we have been led down the garden path, but then to find we are in the wrong ruddy garden. Tomorrows output will hopefully give us some clarity for Friday and beyond, now I'm off to sacrifice a chicken to the weather gods.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer

Posted

I have to say I don't think uppers will be an issue, the precipitation missing us to the South remains my main concern.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold please!

Should I be going to tesco and buying a snow shovel? Probably feel a bit ridiculous taking one to the checkout. Hopefully i'll have the last laugh if this actually happens rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I wonder if there is any data corruption in the 12z? The GFS had temperatures at -6C which fell to -16C in the space of 2 hours.. as far as I know even with snow cover this is bordering on impossible in our climate. Furthermore, the day after it rebounds to +2C.. I suspect that's an error rather than a modelling accuracy. Of course if there is errors in the temperature output, potentially there could be errors in precipitation too..

If not errors then a simple over-reading of signals by the GFS

Edited by SP1986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Only just been able to check the latest. To add to Ian great one word summary:

PLEASE HAPPEN...

Posted

I have to say I don't think uppers will be an issue, the precipitation missing us to the South remains my main concern.

That is the only possible problem, correction South and Westwards.

Posted

That's my concern too. The GFS has strengthend the cold block to the NE, but still has the Atlantic fronts pushing across the whole UK, which doesn't quite add up.

In the last few years such systems slipped through Wales, West Midlands, South Central England and didn't get to us. However the "attacking" low pressure is further north then in those cases, so just maybe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Ian Fergusson (v highly respected m/o & points west weather chap if you don't know) on model thread just said

"But UKMO-GM and GFS 12z's favoured as it stands. Very tricky, very high stakes down at Ops Centre."

Every little (big?) helps...

Edited by snowdrifter