Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January 14th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Surprised no-one has commented. Well done Strachan we are right behind you. I just hope you can sort Scotland out!drinks.gif

I would be very cautious. He does tend to do a few kevin keegan's and quit when the pressure gets too much. But good luck to him

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

One of the mysteries of local radar-watching life right there. Huge blob at the mouth of Forth Estuary about an hour ago. Then noves into the Forth and shrinks to the size of a piece of kids candy floss. Jeez...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

MetO have rain for here at the weekend (sounds about right nea.gif ). Still at least the ensembles etc suggest we are not getting anywhere very warm for the next little bit so lets hope some of this weather malarkey goes our way!

Warmed right up here in the sunshine 2C and has melted everything. Been out for a pootle and not anything even up craigie etc, anything white left is in the shade.

ignore that forecast it changes on every run and does not seem to follow any chart trends at this range..... I am not a METO basher and feel they do pretty well most of the time but where snow and 5dayers are concerned I really dont take any notice. If you go back 5 days it should be snowing here now from there 5 dayer then.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

ignore that forecast it changes on every run and does not seem to follow any chart trends at this range..... I am not a METO basher and feel they do pretty well most of the time but where snow and 5dayers are concerned I really dont take any notice. If you go back 5 days it should be snowing here now from there 5 dayer then.

Yeh i think if you look back in hindsight the forecasts are only accurate within search.gif 2 days at best. Even 24 hours they struggle. The vagaries of a maritime climate I suspect. That's why lamposts are better!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

For those looking for chart evidence of the ideal setup for this weekend, GME +72 is a good tip from GP. Sub zero blizzards indeed...

Posted

I would be very cautious. He does tend to do a few kevin keegan's and quit when the pressure gets too much. But good luck to him

He will be under a lot of pressure. However lets face it Levein has us at rock bottom and the only way is up from the botttom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

GME is in the freezer..

UKMO piling in with the cold uppers and GFS 850s shows the battleground in temps superbly, cold advances earlier on this run too.

post-7292-0-98276000-1358265725_thumb.gipost-7292-0-87827200-1358265749_thumb.pn

Thanks LS. The March 2006 event still gives me nightmares. The west and most of the central belt plastered with snow but by the time it reached here I remember West Edinburgh getting a few cm at best! I think that was the event whihc led to people in Glasgow spending the night in clubs as the snow was so bad there was no transport home.

It was a cracker in Kilmacolm:

post-2844-0-80344400-1358266004_thumb.jp

post-2844-0-07820600-1358266068_thumb.jp

post-2844-0-12910800-1358266274_thumb.jp

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

It was a cracker in Kilmacolm:

post-2844-0-80344400-1358266004_thumb.jp

post-2844-0-07820600-1358266068_thumb.jp

post-2844-0-12910800-1358266274_thumb.jp

Brings back memories. I went Skiing down the hill at the back of me. Everyone thought I was nuts!

I managed to get a taxi out of Glasgow city centre on that Saturday night in March 2006 just in the nick of time - loads of thick fluffy snow cover the next day but it was largely gone by the Monday.

The February 1996 snow was very enjoyable - gave a good healthy covering to the Glasgow area and lasted for a good while - would happily take a repeat of that!

Feb 96 was epic for us out in Kilmacolm, I can remember trying to walk through snow which was up to the top of my thighs...never seen snow like that before or since.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

GME is in the freezer..

UKMO piling in with the cold uppers and GFS 850s shows the battleground in temps superbly, cold advances earlier on this run too.

post-7292-0-98276000-1358265725_thumb.gipost-7292-0-87827200-1358265749_thumb.pn

wow this is only 3(three) days away.... normally i would be cock a hoop.... long for the days of t72 certainty but at the same time never been so excited at model watching... only been doing it for one and a half winters though lol :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Yeh i think if you look back in hindsight the forecasts are only accurate within search.gif 2 days at best. Even 24 hours they struggle. The vagaries of a maritime climate I suspect. That's why lamposts are better!

Yep, for Embra at 21.30 Monday, all the forecasts I found said light snow all through the night and all of this morning, and we had none visible at 7,30am and only two light showers lasting maybe 5-10 mins today... so not even managing 12 hours just now for Embra (although it does ahve a very odd microclimate as mentioned).

I'm going by this thread, which doesn't promise me anything it can't deliver! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Scotland manager?

Really? haven't had the News on. Used to like him as a player back in the ' old ' days! Felt so sorry for him when all the teams changed to the long shorts and he was running around the field with his down past his knees!laugh.png

Posted

Maybe its just me but some of the Model charts are showing a 2m temp of 3 degrees for Aberdeenshire as a minimum on Sat night. That cant be right surely...

I am totally at a loss as to what to expect in term sof snow potential for teh East of Scotland. I was under the impression just 24 hours ago that we had good potential but no i am lost...

Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Posted

Think I better charge the camera for the weekend. It could be interesting! (And beyond so it seems)

Posted

Met Office Reveal Investment In State of the art snow forecast technology!

bth_february06126.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

13012012_1506.gif

Snow accumulation by Sunday afternoon, looks good to me, lets hope it happens! good.gif

And once again the snow doesn't quite make it across to Skye! Noo, whaur's they toys ready fur flingin'......

Posted

Maybe its just me but some of the Model charts are showing a 2m temp of 3 degrees for Aberdeenshire as a minimum on Sat night. That cant be right surely...

I am totally at a loss as to what to expect in term sof snow potential for teh East of Scotland. I was under the impression just 24 hours ago that we had good potential but no i am lost...

I think the warmer temperatures in Aberdeen are due to a South Easterly wind crossing the North Sea and moderating the temperatures somewhat. For some good frontal snow potential in your area, you would want winds to be coming from the South or South West. Alternatively if uppers were colder (probably below -9c), your area might just get off with being right at the coast.

Edited by sn0wman

Posted

Some of you have mentioned Feburary 1996? IF it's the event I think it was, it seemed if I remember to start off possibly with a flash of lightning/rumble of thunder. Eventually turned into a full scale major league blizzard (it was a saturday) Didn't seem to stop for hours on end!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

The chances of them correctly forecasting Sat night minimum from 4 days out are small, so I wouldn't worry. Aberdeenshire has coast, hills, mountains, urban/rural areas ... no way that a single forecast minimum can accurately cover them all.

It also depends to an extent though on what type of battle ground setup we get this weekend (assuming we even get one !) ... anyone sitting right on the very edge of the east coast could remain above freezing. Check out LS's earlier scenarios for the different possible outcomes.

But no-one will be able to say anything with any high confidence about Saturday ... probably until Saturday !