Cold?
IGNORED

Three Counties & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 14th 2013 20:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

light fall of that polystyrene ball stuff

That'll be graupel then!

Used to seeing that when I'm in Southport lol, all the time in Winter, I don't like it because it's not quite snow but it's not quite hail! Very common for coastal locations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

A quick burst of heavy graupel makes a nice underlay for the snow that often follows it!good.gif

Posted

I know for certain the snow will stop its eastward progress in Lidgate which is a couple of large fields west of me and fade away.

Walked the dogs and for the first time in a year didn't have to hose mud off my boots (not that I could as the outside tap's frozen).

Also heard a scary story about my brother in law yesterday. His daughter noticed their 3 horses standing in a line and pawing the ground at the edge of the pond in their field. She alerted her dad because their little Border Terrier had fallen through the ice in the middle and couldn't get out. He waded in thinking the pond was only a metre deep, but it was actually 7 foot deep and he found he had to swim to get to the dog! Both got back to the edge somehow. Holy Moley. Someone was looking after them. Don't try this at home.

But what clever horses!

Wow, that is scary. He was very lucky as was the little terrier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Hi BA

Do you think we will do ok for the snow? The GFS charts show us having around 32CM by the end of the day on Saturday? Any thoughts?

Posted

Latest nae 12z has pushed it bk west by 150 miles.

I would ignore the precipitation charts for now. Them changing again seems pretty likely IMO and, as always, this will come down, somewhat, to nowcasting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Interestingly a warning for rain has been issued by the MetOffice for N. Ireland on Friday, stating there could be between 20-40mm of rain. Certainly plenty of moisture expected then. Roughly that equates to 20-40cm of snow.....more if its very dry!

Posted

I too am NOT getting excited about Fridays snow. This situation often arises when fronts move in from the west. I can remember countless times I have sat staring at the radar just willing the snow to keep moving east. But of course it never does. Although the METO have covered themselves and included all of EA in their yellow warning band, I just know come fri we, in the East will be left disappointed. My guess is that the front will stall and start to fade as it reaches, say the M1 motorway as a rough line. Thats about how far East these fronts normally get.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Wow, that is scary. He was very lucky as was the little terrier.

Both were very lucky thankfully !

I noticed today the parks rangers were out and about putting up ice warning signs.....

post-10773-0-43555300-1358350928_thumb.j

Posted

I too am NOT getting excited about Fridays snow. This situation often arises when fronts move in from the west. I can remember countless times I have sat staring at the radar just willing the snow to keep moving east. But of course it never does. Although the METO have covered themselves and included all of EA in their yellow warning band, I just know come fri we, in the East will be left disappointed. My guess is that the front will stall and start to fade as it reaches, say the M1 motorway as a rough line. Thats about how far East these fronts normally get.

Agree 100%

Happened a few years back, front stalled ABOUT 5 MILES north of Milton Keynes, they got battered, we got nowt.

I always feel nervous about these set ups!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Warm summers Cold Frosty winters

Well been very cold here today with plenty of lying snow temp maxed out at -1c at 10.30am now down to -4.5c so another cold night awaits, As I am posting its just stated snowing look like a light shower.

I too am wondering how far east the front will make it on Fri...time will tell.

Edited by TobyT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and Sunny. Cold Frosty/Snow

So MKSnowAngel - what you reckon our chances are for MK ? Certainly looking a reasonable shout at the moment but could also be very borderline dependant on eastward progression.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Would like to miss the snow this weekend actually gives us chance of some more prolonged cold later on with Heavy showers coming of the coast I would really like a nice easterly as what we could have just keeps snow and cold further north.

How far this front progresses decides what follows?

Would like a bit of light snow but nothing too much otherwise the Atlantic would win!

Posted

I would ignore the precipitation charts for now. Them changing again seems pretty likely IMO and, as always, this will come down, somewhat, to nowcasting.

I agree I do know from past set ups from Atlantic approach that it fizzles out before it hits east anglia. I would love for the snow to come from the North Sea And spread far in land covering the whole of east anglia. The reason for this is it sticks more and last longer due to the cold temps

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Flick through Friday and Saturday if you want as there is a 48 Hours of snow!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ee/ee_forecast_weather.html

Still would like it to do a real undercut as it pulls in those E'lys for us a all here!

Posted

Not posting in that other thread anymore.

Jesus as soon as you give a level headed realistic opinion for Friday and dare to mention downgrades, they come down on you like a tonne of bricks.

Perhaps someone can help me here? The West Midlands has amber warnings for heavy snow and the SE has a yellow. The TV forecasts and Meto are all about mentioning the amber warning area.

Does anyone think that it just might miss us altogether? I hope not :-(

Posted

Flick through Friday and Saturday if you want as there is a 48 Hours of snow!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ee/ee_forecast_weather.html

Still would like it to do a real undercut as it pulls in those E'lys for us a all here!

I think we a lot of us are wanting an undercut. As for met o I wouldn't put any faith in what they show past 24 hrs regarding snow let alone days ahead. ESP if going by their early prediction we are meant to see rain on Sunday. Best thing to do is chill our relax as what will be will be.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

So MKSnowAngel - what you reckon our chances are for MK ?

Pretty dam good atm I'd say.....wax your runners and see you on the top of that big hill in Campbell Park good.gif

post-10773-0-61422900-1358352700_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Snizzling again here, but because the surfaces are so cold and bone dry it is accumulating quite quickly.

Posted

Not posting in that other thread anymore.

Jesus as soon as you give a level headed realistic opinion for Friday and dare to mention downgrades, they come down on you like a tonne of bricks.

Perhaps someone can help me here? The West Midlands has amber warnings for heavy snow and the SE has a yellow. The TV forecasts and Meto are all about mentioning the amber warning area.

Does anyone think that it just might miss us altogether? I hope not :-(

Depends how far the front gets before hitting the really cold air. As for amber warnings they can be downgraded as well take 2010 east anglia was issued with amber warnings only to be downgraded 6 hrs before the event and we got nothing.

Posted

Depends how far the front gets before hitting the really cold air. As for amber warnings they can be downgraded as well take 2010 east anglia was issued with amber warnings only to be downgraded 6 hrs before the event and we got nothing.

Thank you. I do find the outrages ramping in the SE thread kind of premature.

As is always the case with snow events it's looking at the radar. I just hope the ppn makes it to Essex, even if its just light stuff it will be nice to see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I dunno, some of these horses are hardy breeds!biggrin.png

But don't be out too long, or you might become a little hoarse!

Best joke: "My Lidl Pony"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Thank you. I do find the outrages ramping in the SE thread kind of premature.

As is always the case with snow events it's looking at the radar. I just hope the ppn makes it to Essex, even if its just light stuff it will be nice to see.

You're only Jealous, D! Just because we are more borderline...Wait until Sunday, when they start reporting rain & sleet???good.gif

Posted

lovely stuff......post-6932-0-51636600-1358354333_thumb.jp

Is that screen grab recent BWW?