Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 16/01/13 06z ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear Skies

Here in Botley, Hants, just east of southampton it is around 0C

I've tried to do everything I can to stop it snowing. I've got plenty of food in (both man and cat) and I've even got gas for the camping stove and the inverter at the ready. I've got about 50kg of coal as well.

Now don't get me wrong, I love a bit of snow - a few inches on a sunday morning and a walk across the fields is a delight, on the other hand I'm a director at a small business and these sort of events are commercially disastrous. If nobody makes it to the office I might as well keep the office warm by burning pound notes.

My line all day has been basically

• Potentially disruption on friday
  • Please pay close attention to the met office website.
  • Please make sure tonight that you work remotely. If you haven't remote access the office for 4 months, please check it tonight so I can send you home with the required hardware etc tomorrow i.e. Have a PLAN etc.
  • That said, We're on the south coast. The sea keeps us warm. Plus we are at sea level. Whilst conditions inland could well be apocalyptic, it PROBABLY won't be as bad down here. BUT BE PREPARED

My bones (well known forecasting model(!) ) tells me there is FAR TOO much expectation about this event. Nothing pushes away snow like high expectations. I think a few people are going to get a royal pasting, but the majority will end up with a lot less snow than they are expecting.

Please don't forget that whilst a week of chaos is great fun it does no favors for unemployment.

Edited by tomhow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Just been to tesco and bought there last bag if salt! It's started already.........!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Channel low = Heavy snow

Yh is Friday night a chance it will turn to sleet in south somerset for a time on bbc weather for Wincanton. Slightly further Wesg would be great.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Just another thought.

All the snow falling and currently coating the ground over vast parts of Wales can only assist the more coastal location's chances of a longer spell of snow, rather than rain to snow. It may well, aid the advancement of the colder air in becoming entrenched more quickly than the current models suggest.

Still, let's not count our chickens folks as the finite details won't be known until the final set of runs, tomorrow afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

So could we expect more of the same on Monday? Ian fergusson hinted towards it did he not?.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

I've tried to do everything I can to stop it snowing. I've got plenty of food in (both man and cat) and I've even got gas for the camping stove and the inverter at the ready. I've got about 50kg of coal as well.

Now don't get me wrong, I love a bit of snow - a few inches on a sunday morning and a walk across the fields is a delight, on the other hand I'm a director at a small business and these sort of events are commercially disastrous. If nobody makes it to the office I might as well keep the office warm by burning pound notes.

• Please make sure tonight that you work remotely. If you haven't remote access the office for 4 months, please check it tonight so I can send you home with the required hardware etc tomorrow i.e. Have a PLAN etc.
  • That said, We're on the south coast. The sea keeps us warm. Plus we are at sea level. Whilst conditions inland could well be apocalyptic, it PROBABLY won't be as bad down here. BUT BE PREPARED

My bones (well known forecasting model(!) ) tells me there is FAR TOO much expectation about this event. Nothing pushes away snow like high expectations. I think a few people are going to get a royal pasting, but the majority will end up with a lot less snow than they are expecting.

Please don't forget that whilst a week of chaos is great fun it does no favors for unemployment.

I've already told my boss im working from home Friday. I simply cannot be bothered with the car if it snows.

Plus I will be more productive without people pestering me every 10 minutes. :)

Just been to tesco and bought there last bag if salt! It's started already.........!

Talking of Tesco. I just popped in and they were removing ALL THE WOOLY HATS AND GLOVES!

Apparently they will place them near the door with a bigger markup. ( I managed to grab a hat before they did )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I am more nervous about this event than I was for my wife's wedding and the birth of my 2 children, mind you, had I been in the hot seat I may say different. So glad my wife does not read this forum.

When can we genuinely be sure this is ON!!??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

I've already told my boss im working from home Friday. I simply cannot be bothered with the car if it snows.

Plus I will be more productive without people pestering me every 10 minutes. smile.png

Talking of Tesco. I just popped in and they were removing ALL THE WOOLY HATS AND GLOVES!

Apparently they will place them near the door with a bigger markup. ( I managed to grab a hat before they did )

The hats and gloves are made from horse hair.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I am more nervous about this event than I was for my wife's wedding and the birth of my 2 children, mind you, had I been in the hot seat I may say different. So glad my wife does not read this forum.

Friday evening

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Apologies if this has already been posted but thought people might have missed it ....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/news/newsid_7760000/7760862.stm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

So could we expect more of the same on Monday? Ian fergusson hinted towards it did he not?.

He did mention it but lets worry about how to dig our way out of the front door from fridays first... rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heatwave, Thunderstorms

This time tomorrow we should have the exact details of the front and progress. Expect changes though even when the snow is falling. Unexpected disturbances could even move up into the area from the channel giving more intense periods of snow. The whole thing will devlop and change as it happens

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Plus I will be more productive without people pestering me every 10 minutes. :)

Blimey! They are b@"gers! Lucky you got in there quick!

Posted

24 more hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Anyone else looking at all the info, thinking, looks great but she will ring and say sorry can't make it, Hair to wash!!!

Edited by That ECM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

GOOD! Do you know how much that stuff goes for?

I didnt realise they mixed the value burgers with gourmet burgers!

Edited by Lynxus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heatwave, Thunderstorms

If the channel low comes off next week it'll make Friday and Saturday look lame

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear Skies

Plus I will be more productive without people pestering me every 10 minutes. smile.png

Yup - I refuse to take the car out in the snow. My excuse is that the car is an elderly over-powered rear wheel drive BMW with tyres like beach balls and I can't even negotiate a carpark with 1 inch of snow. Plus I'm hopeless at driving in the snow.

Luckily I have my lifestyle arranged such that I can walk to work if I choose.... which I will be doing on friday regardless.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

GOOD! Do you know how much that stuff goes for?

I didnt realise they mixed the value burgers with gourmet burgers!

Not sure, but the meat only makes it to the tesco value brand so can't be much!!

They do.... just as heinz make tesco value beans!! Anyway, what were we talkiing about?? Oh yeah.... weather!!

Edited by Beast of Dartmoor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

So come on who's staying up all night Thursday waiting for the first snow flake? I'm in!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Agreed, businesses and nature are likely to get hit hard, should this become a prolonged spell.

Speaking from experience, I do believe the South Coast and I suspect coastal parts of the SW peninsula will be the first places to recover from any such spell.

The future is pure conjecture right now and so is SNOWMAGGEDON as this spell is being penned. Hell, the main course is still t+28 hours away as I have already suggested. Whatever happens, we have no control over the weather.

I wish you well sir and this latest spell of weather could be yet another testing time for us humans.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Well they had to do something with the left over byproduct of their burgers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign

Here in Poole and Bournemouth looks like rain/sleet sad.png

From my experience over 35 or so years living here is that usually is (rain/sleet) under these setups. Dewpoints look very marginal.

We usually need deep cold air/easterly fetch/channel low to get a good dumping here. SW/ly incursion usually doesnt do it as once those winds get to an onshore direction, it's bye bye snow.

In any case this "cold" spell has been a bit 'meh' down here so far. Didn't even get to -1 last night and temps a bit up on this time yesterday. Just a bit chillier than usual. Any cloud/precip coming in will push temps the wrong side of marginal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

So come on who's staying up all night Thursday waiting for the first snow flake? I'm in!!

Hell yes, beers in fridge already, Brady in cupboard alongside relentless

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

As long as we don't see a last min downgrade I'm game! Although I shall be having a night cap when I get home from work so I can wake around midnight good.gif

Its so rare that we see true blizzard conditions, even up on mendip I have only ever seen it a few times so I really hope this is our time! clapping.gif

Would be lovely if we have a good 20cm of packed snow ready for round two on monday if it was toi happen... air_kiss.gif