Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 16/01/13 06z ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

From my experience over 35 or so years living here is that usually is (rain/sleet) under these setups. Dewpoints look very marginal.

We usually need deep cold air/easterly fetch/channel low to get a good dumping here. SW/ly incursion usually doesnt do it as once those winds get to an onshore direction, it's bye bye snow.

In any case this "cold" spell has been a bit 'meh' down here so far. Didn't even get to -1 last night and temps a bit up on this time yesterday. Just a bit chillier than usual. Any cloud/precip coming in will push temps the wrong side of marginal.

Funny, it was -5C in Poole?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny or Cold and snowy

Agreed, businesses and nature are likely to get hit hard, should this become a prolonged spell.

Every snow day costs me roughly £9k-£11k per day - a week would mean I lose over £50k but sod it we've had an exceptionally good few years and I love a lot of snow so bring it on!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear Skies

Speaking from experience, I do believe the South Coast and I suspect coastal parts of the SW peninsula will be the first places to recover from any such spell.

Very accurate. As I constantly tell my relations, the reason I live on the south coast is that the winter temps are always a few degrees warmer and the summer a few degrees cooler... it's all to do with that big wet blue thing.

Interestingly, those of long experience will note that almost everybody who lives between b'mouth and brighton claims they have a special microclimate...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

No downgrades please, I really don't think I could watch another model run all winter if this goes Tong now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Agreed, businesses and nature are likely to get hit hard, should this be a prolonged spell.

Speaking from experience, I do believe the South Coast and I suspect coastal parts of the SW peninsula will be the first places to recover from any such spell.

The future is pure conjecture right now and so is SNOWMAGGEDON as this spell is being penned. Hell, the main course is still t+28 hours away as I have already suggested. Whatever happens, we have no control over the weather.

I wish you well sir and this latest spell of weather could be yet another testing time for us humans.

Yes but Supermarkets etc receive supplys from up country,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,And will be testing times for wildllife

Posted

Any reports from Devon, showing as some light snow in the region, according to NW v6 radar. friends.gif

Well I'm in Okehampton and its be showing a snow shower over us for a while now but nothing falling as of yet.

Hope everyone gets their share of the snow come Friday.

While I'm here.

Current conditions IMBY 2.5c and dew point 0c

Lee

Posted

Agreed, businesses and nature are likely to get hit hard, should this be a prolonged spell.

The future is pure conjecture right now and so is SNOWMAGGEDON as this spell is being penned. Hell, the main course is still t+28 hours away as I have already suggested. Whatever happens, we have no control over the weather.

I wish you well sir and this latest spell of weather could be yet another testing time for us humans.

I get where he's coming from as whilst I live in tropical Weymouth, I run a business mid-Dorset so I should really ought to be wishing for rain all the way but the other side of me says ah sod that, let's all get buried in the white stuff!!!!!

Seriously though, I am preparing to work remotely, just in case...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Tescos, Horse Hair, Women, Hard hit businesses, BMWs and burgers.

Is this a not a regional weather discussion thread. search.gif

Please guys n gals, let's get back on topic and predict how much snow, ole Mullender gets up on top of his hill.

Of course, general chit-chat is allowed but most folk who have just popped in for a quick update will get bored of such topics as listed above. good.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Please guys n gals, let's get back on topic and predict how much snow, ole Mullender gets up on top of his hill.

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Welcome to the west country...In reply to the snow showers not materialising it might be that because ppn is so light that the low dew points are just causing them to evaporate before reaching the ground.

P.S. cider talk is allowed I believe...

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hell yes, beers in fridge already, Brady in cupboard alongside relentless

Is that the missus's name?

Nah, I gotcha. rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Of course, general chit-chat is allowed but most folk who have just popped in for a quick update will get bored of such topics as listed above. good.gif

It is gottolovethisweather... We have horses on dartmoor and I drive a BMW, both of which will be affected by snow!! rofl.gif

Anyway, back on topic, 0.1c.... slight rise in temp, does that mean the front is coming in??

Posted

Every snow day costs me roughly £9k-£11k per day - a week would mean I lose over £50k but sod it we've had an exceptionally good few years and I love a lot of snow so bring it on!!!

Blimey and yes, to each point you make.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Nowhere near as cold as last night here presently.

Yesterday my car froze over at Brook 1630hrs. Today at Brook 1645 not froze.

Still just above freezing here 2 miles further West of Brook now.

Posted

I get where he's coming from as whilst I live in tropical Weymouth, I run a business mid-Dorset so I should really ought to be wishing for rain all the way but the other side of me says ah sod that, let's all get buried in the white stuff!!!!!

Seriously though, I am preparing to work remotely, just in case...

Wilks dilemna too it seems.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Would now be a good time to remind folks of the stealth snowman competition, or will that jinx it?

Posted

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Welcome to the west country...In reply to the snow showers not materialising it might be that because ppn is so light that the low dew points are just causing them to evaporate before reaching the ground.

P.S. cider talk is allowed I believe...

Thankyou kindly on the snow showers report.

You just be wary of the influence your mood has on the thread. hi.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear Skies

On the other hand, I think people popping in for a quick update could well benefit from pondering the implications of a seriously disruptive event and making their own plans.

Posted

Would now be a good time to remind folks of the stealth snowman competition, or will that jinx it?

tomorrow evening!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Not now jeth or we will all end up with stealthy snow that fails to materialise... rofl.gif

Quite warm outside this evening compared to last night -2.1c whistling.gif