Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Three Counties & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 16th 2013 19:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Hmm. My husband drove me into Cambridge. Nearly went into the icy ditch because he wasn't looking at the road fiddling with the heater, then didn't notice a car was going left and did an emergency brake (fiddling with the heater again). Then on the way back nearly overshot a red light. As I said, hmmmmm.

PS Floaty. Hope you're feeling ok today. Tell them to stuff working next week if they won't lend you a car… how mean!

lol got a car getting tomm,just not a 4x4 ,thought i would try coz of weather haha

Posted

latest nae run give 3 to 10cms across the region out to sat evening. more in the west, less in the east.

could you post a link of where to find it please? Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice and Sunshine

Yep sorry, updated now.

To be fair it always gets me that one, it says 18z and unless you really check each time slot it catches you out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Your part of Herts should still do well imo, remember, half the county is under an amber warning...

Surely thats our part of herts lol....I am only 1 mile from the St albans boarder...I do hope so...

the big question for me is do i go to work and take a chance on getting back (I drive to Stanmore and tube it to Southwark) or maybe do half a day as im sure it will be ok getting in.....its the getting home that might be tricky....What time is it meant to be with us tomorrow?

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

12z

But looks nice

13011818_1712.gif

Further south-west you are more likely to see more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Been snowing for 1/2 hour!!

Gonna take a drive to work (Woodbridge) and maybe venture towards Rendlesham/Aldeburgh as it would seem there has been plenty there.

By that time on return back to Felixstowe hoping to see several more cm.

According to friends in Woodbridge they haven't got a huge amount. Leiston looks good....although it looks as if Felixestowe will get a pummeling soon.

Looks as if the blob is gaining intensity again now....maybe pulling moisture off that light stuff to the west, or may be due to the strengthening wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heatwaves & thunderstorms

My Met Office App shows light rain for Colchester for Essex on Monday whilst everywhere else in Essex & London shows snow. Can this forecast change I absolutely had enough of rain.

Edited by pandit-scholar

Posted

To be fair it always gets me that one, it says 18z and unless you really check each time slot it catches you out!

Yeah each timeframe seems to have a different status to it each time you look!

18z rain/snowfall charts have snow ( with darker pink colours) for most of the region from around mid-afternoon tomorrow until around mid-morning Saturday.

Edited by Ben_Cambs

Posted

Snowm4n it's better to keep the cold round rather than loose it and get rain. I'm sure we will all get a pasting tomorrow. The front has hit the west coast alot earlier than expected meaning it has more energy than antisipated and should get over to us no trouble may even stall over us as the block will be pushes slightly eastwards as the front moves in. Downside is if it does make it over it means the Atlantic is getting stronger vs the block. Ideal scenario is for the block to retreat for us to get the front and then reclaim its ground after to keep the cold and snow with us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Congrats Suffolkboy good.gif

Very interesting, just goes to show.

After a dry spell for 1/2 hour, we now have heavyish powder snow....keep looking out of that window....you should have something soon!!

The blob is expanding quickly....knocking on Colchester's door now!

Edited by suffolkboy_

Posted

i have had come down so quick,the thickest fog???i cant see across the cul da sac !

Posted

NAE 6z 48 hour total accum suggest between 8 and 10 mm for Hertfordshire, 10 to the West lesser to East, but that could still mean 10cm of snow if true.

Posted

NAE 6z 48 hour total accum suggest between 8 and 10 mm for Hertfordshire, 10 to the West lesser to East, but that could still mean 10cm of snow if true.

From what I gather, the 1mm =1cm rule doesn't apply as strictly to tomorrow's snow, because it will be powder snow, and 1mm will be more like 1.5cm. Or that's what I've seen around the forum today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Snowm4n it's better to keep the cold round rather than loose it and get rain. I'm sure we will all get a pasting tomorrow. The front has hit the west coast alot earlier than expected meaning it has more energy than antisipated and should get over to us no trouble may even stall over us as the block will be pushes slightly eastwards as the front moves in. Downside is if it does make it over it means the Atlantic is getting stronger vs the block. Ideal scenario is for the block to retreat for us to get the front and then reclaim its ground after to keep the cold and snow with us.

Yes as I said to someone earlier we don't want it too far west would give us more snow but wouldnt last long on tablet gone into underline mode :S

looks good btw 13011818_1718.gif

Posted

I kid you not, it's snowing in Lowestoft. I can now die a happy man. Goodnight all, and the best of luck for tomorrow.

Told you it would arrive before 10pm tease.gif

If this band keeps intensifying I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere within 10 miles of the coast saw 6inches plus out of this....and that's not a ramp. Very heavy power snow here now, and the stuff out to my east looks A LOT heavier on the radar.

Edited by suffolkboy_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I kid you not, it's snowing in Lowestoft. I can now die a happy man. Goodnight all, and the best of luck for tomorrow.

Surely not long now until I have snow please :)

Posted

From what I gather, the 1mm =1cm rule doesn't apply as strictly to tomorrow's snow, because it will be powder snow, and 1mm will be more like 1.5cm. Or that's what I've seen around the forum today.

Yep unfortunately its a very tricky call given the variance in the DP's and temps tomorrow, but the 1mm=1cm is roughly true at 0c...below 0c (and heres the projection:)

13011815_2_1718.gif

That ratio shoots up.

So taking the runs at completely face value, the safe projection of amounts by Sat PM is around 7-10cms

The more optimistic calculation (based upon 1:1.5) is around 10-15cms.

And this is assuming the NAE has got it spot on (im still expecting a few surprises)

SK

Posted

After a dry spell for 1/2 hour, we now have heavyish powder snow....keep looking out of that window....you should have something soon!!

The blob is expanding quickly....knocking on Colchester's door now!

nah dont rekon,weird thing is everytime i forwaqrd rdar it sinks south,but when the time comes its still there and bigger.i cant make it out?

Posted

celebrate and be nice to the cat lol