Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussions 17th January 2013 onwards

The watcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

I'd be interested, I'm a single parent dad so needs planning for me, but would love to meet up. Belfast once, Dublin next? Not to forget the peoples republic of Corkgood.gif

Being a poor student and still waiting on my friggin grant payment to come through, I'll need a little while to save!

Netweather Ireland meet up 2013, perhaps t-shirts can be madelaugh.png

Posted

Being a poor student and still waiting on my friggin grant payment to come through, I'll need a little while to save!

Netweather Ireland meet up 2013, perhaps t-shirts can be madelaugh.png

this is going to be one he'll of an eclectic group rofl.gif mail me and I'll order you a pizza, need the local pizza joint. Wish I was a student again!drinks.gif

Snow band looks like it has speeded up moving to ne - was supposed to clear nw before returning south tomorrow. I wonder if temps are slightly higher behind snow and we end up with slight to moderate thaw overnight - I remember something like this happening in the early 2000's sometime before the proper snows of 2008, 2009 & 2010. Hopefully compltely wrong about this, especially after getting good cover today (8cm in grass) after earlier looking to struggle to get anything.

Mindful of not peeing off those members who ended up with zilch after many hours and days of watching charts and posts.

Edited by Cavehill Snow

Posted

Last night we were wondering which of either the GFS or NAE would be more accurate today as the NAE was showing colder conditions. Comparing actual sounding data from today's 12Z Castor Bay radiosonde to each model's 06Z forecast for the same time shows that the NAE was the colder of the two with regard to 850-1000 thickness, 850 hPa temperatyre and surface dewpoint. In reality, conditions turned out slightly milder than both.

Thicknesses (500-1000 dm, 850-1000 m)

Actual - 532, 1293

GFS - 533, 1291

NAE - 532, 1290

850 hPa geopotential and temperature

Actual - 1263 m, -6.1 °C

GFS - 1240 m, -5 °C

NAE - 1250 m, -7 °C

Surface temperature, dewpoint

Actual - +2.0, +1.3 °C

GFS - +1, 0 °C

NAE - +2, -0 °C

Posted

Last night we were wondering which of either the GFS or NAE would be more accurate today as the NAE was showing colder conditions. Comparing actual sounding data from today's 12Z Castor Bay radiosonde to each model's 06Z forecast for the same time shows that the NAE was the colder of the two with regard to 850-1000 thickness, 850 hPa temperatyre and surface dewpoint. In reality, conditions turned out slightly milder than both.

Thicknesses (500-1000 dm, 850-1000 m)

Actual - 532, 1293

GFS - 533, 1291

NAE - 532, 1290

850 hPa geopotential and temperature

Actual - 1263 m, -6.1 °C

GFS - 1240 m, -5 °C

NAE - 1250 m, -7 °C

Surface temperature, dewpoint

Actual - +2.0, +1.3 °C

GFS - +1, 0 °C

NAE - +2, -0 °C

Any thoughts SU on that showery trough spreading across southern areas this evening

There's a frost here ahead of it's arrival, could that swing the balance ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Frost, Thunder and Storms

Any thoughts SU on that showery trough spreading across southern areas this evening

Hi JS - Upper temps in southern parts are too high at present..............frost on ground will count for nothing I am afraid - colder uppers though for Sunday and monday so hopefully you will see some snow by then although will be still marginal in places especially near coasts

EWS

Posted

Not looking good for you in the Cork City I'm afraid. The airport could do better but it's a big ask

Posted

Bit of a disaster for Derry! There's a bit of a covering and it's been snowing for 4 hours but barely 1 cm to show for it in the hillier parts! judging by the radar then that's the lot for us! Ah well it was nice while it lasted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,windstorms

Can't undertsand the met office amber warning for the whole of NI when it was only Eastern/Central areas that seen snow worthy of it

In the west we got nothing bar a light shower,it is in force until 9am tomorrow,they should have downgraded the western areas of NI

Such a disappointment-fed up. Another weather war wound to add to the endless list

Posted

Have a good 4" here on the road. If it hadnt rain prior to this it would have been some craic

hi what part of ballygawley are you in? you must be high up anyway. garvaghey or somewhere?

Posted

The UKMO aviation chart for 06 Z shows a line running from Donegal to Wexford. East of it they forecast widespread light snow, occasional moderate snow, with isolated heavy and blowing snow on mountains.

For most the southwest they have isolated hail and rain thunderstorms, with isolated heavy snow on mountains.

In between it's just rain and drizzle.

Posted

temps actually rising here. up to 1.5c from 1c earlier. been snowing now for about 12 hours but temps just a degree or 2 too high all day. could have been memorable but hillier parts round here will have serious depths id say. my experience of frontal snowfall is that you really need to have the cold temps well dug in before the band arrives. we just didnt have that on low ground here this time.

Posted

Snow eventually stopped in castlereagh hills. Measured about 6 inches in tr garden! Best snow iv seen since 09. Here's hoping for more Sunday eve! Looking good for its well. Bring it on. So happy. Iv seen brilliant snow today.

Posted

Snow eventually stopped in castlereagh hills. Measured about 6 inches in tr garden! Best snow iv seen since 09. Here's hoping for more Sunday eve! Looking good for its well. Bring it on. So happy. Iv seen brilliant snow today.

I'm up Castlereagh hills too. Just waiting on a dominos. They're going to deliver :)

Isn't it going to snow again tomorrow? Good base here today.

Posted

Still snowing its head off at all airports except those in the Republic :-(

http://www.ogimet.co...1&min=30&vsg=Sg

Do you think that the wintry showers tomorrow will be more "interesting" north of say...balbriggan due to E winds?