Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussions 17th January 2013 onwards

The watcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Snow all gone and drizzle here. At least it was a good 10 hours of snowfall. Still a good few days of cold to come so something else might crop up.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Dull cloudy with light rain and drizzle ,temp 1.7c. Wish this front would just clear off now as its starting to p### me off!

Posted

Light rain. Miserable out! Apart from a few flakes of sleet interspersed with the heavy rain yesterday, this 'cold spell' has just been a non event so far!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

Light rain. Miserable out! Apart from a few flakes of sleet interspersed with the heavy rain yesterday, this 'cold spell' has just been a non event so far!

I think though thats the way it is when the Atlantic gets involved,it can sometimes promise so much in terms of potential of a big snow fall but it ususally ends in tears for most as less cold air usually takes over yesterdays warm sector for example there is always something.. Really when it comes to cold spells keep the atlantic systems as far from the country as possible thats what ive always thought,id rather take my chances with colder but dry air then hoping for the atlantic to deliver a dumping. Anyway im waiting for this front to get out of the way and allow that colder drier air in later today,might get a few snow showers tonight in the east if we are lucky.

Edited by sundog

Posted

Looks like the east coast of Ireland and especially Northern Ireland have another very good chance of snow tomorrow avo and eve. Well for me yesterday's snow was brilliant. Still have about 5 inches in my garden though it is melting slightly now. Snowed a tiny bit first thing this morn too. Hopefully all will get involved at some stage

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Latest MetO NAE hi res model showing quite a bit of snow for southern Ireland on Monday. Hope it stays like that, about time you lot had some snow, your nearly as snowless as my location.

Posted

Still plenty of snow lying with temp sitting at 1.4° although there's been a definite thaw overnight, even a bit of drizzle when I looked out the window earlier. Maybe take the wee guy up the hills behind us today, it's usually quite nice up there.

Posted

Yea mountain shadow drive through saintfield snd carryduff on way to town and there is quite a bot of snow in those to places. Clearly a bit of elevation has helped them and also not being directly on coast. Was actually snowing in saintfield lightly 10 mins ago driving through. Def more chances through week though it looks like a gradually breakdown of cold Also later.

Posted

With T850 cooling to -7 °C or lower later today streamer activity should increase over the Irish Sea, but it will be suppressed by divergent flow in the low-mid levels. So don't expect as much activity as the uppers suggest. The longest sea-fetch would be north of Angelsey and south of the IOM, so Dublin to Dundalk would be best set for any streamers. Coastal convergence along the east coast may help in boosting precipitation rates. Boundary layer drying should mean that any residual precipitation this morning has a better chance of becoming more wintry, but as the bulk of this precipitation is moving westwards with the flow a lot of people will run out of it.

Certainly looking interesting for the next few days for many who only saw rain so far.

Edited by Su Campu

Posted

Indeed SuCampo. NAE even had -8/9 uppers just off the east coast yesterday I think. That would certainly aid streamer development. Hopefully it is the case...

I'm thinking after dark it should start to get more interesting... Lamp-post watching tonight for me I hope! Hopefully we get a bit more than graupel this time. Although, beggars must not be chosers!!!

Edited by Rocheydub

Posted

A few lines of precip. forming south of the IOM. I think that Dublin Airport and Northwards is the place to be today

Posted

Dublin and Casement TAFs issued at 11 only give a slight chance of sleet showers though...

TAF EIDW 191100Z 1912/2012 10012KT 9999 SCT012 BKN015 TEMPO 1912/1915 5000 -RASN SCT005 BKN010 PROB30 TEMPO 1916/2012 5000 -SHRASN SCT005 BKN008=

TAF EIME 191100Z 1912/1921 10007KT 9999 SCT012 BKN020 TEMPO 1912/1915 5000 -RASN SCT005 BKN008 PROB30 TEMPO 1916/1921 4000 -SHRASN BKN006=

Posted

Actiity building in the Irish sea. Bit of convection going. I don't expect much but sub -7 850's and sub zero dp's I do expect snow. Best chance for a dusting is tonight when temperatures get to freezing. Anything that falls tonight no matter how light has a good chance of sticking around. Pardon the pun. Just hope we don't end up in a rain shadow.

Edited by The Eagle

Posted

A few lines of precip. forming south of the IOM. I think that Dublin Airport and Northwards is the place to be today

Not so sure. Reckon it could be as far north as Balbriggan unless we get convection between the Irish and Welsh coasts.

Posted

Not so sure. Reckon it could be as far north as Balbriggan unless we get convection between the Irish and Welsh coasts.

Yeah I take that back, if they don't die out Drogheda Nwards will probably see the bulk of it.

Edited by patneve

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather, thunderstorms, snow

All the snow in my parts melted, albeit just a light covering to begin with. I was taken by surprise when it turned to rain at about 3pm yesterday. I was expecting rain earlier on, increasingly turning to snow as the day wore on. Just goes to show the difficulty in forecasting these setups.Hopefully we see at least a covering put down in many parts over the next 24hrs, this might help lower temps and increase chances of further snowfall with tomorrow nights front. If it crosses over us??? Still allot of uncertainty about this, any thoughts from the more experienced would be much appreciated. Happy radar watchingsorry.gif

Posted

I'm currently at 280 m up near Ballinascorney, south of Tallaght. Yesterday this was white, trees and all, but now it's just a mucky green mess. Snow totally disappeared. Some snow grains falling here now though. Temp +1.5

Edited by Su Campu

Posted

Here in Belfast up Cadtlereagh Hills ... Snow still lying around althought quite a bit less than yesterday

Not sure if it will snow again but I know ice will be a big problem later

Posted

hmmm, that band of precipitation in the Irish sea seems to be taking a more favourable track (for Dublin). Graupel showers on the way? Or it might just die out

Posted

hmmm, that band of precipitation in the Irish sea seems to be taking a more favourable track (for Dublin). Graupel showers on the way? Or it might just die out

Had snow here right on the coast about 15 mins ago allbeit light. Good sign.

Edited by The Eagle