Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussions 17th January 2013 onwards

The watcher

Posted

any thoughts on whether it'll snow in dublin later? nice to hear that our friends up north getting some snow. hope it sticks guys.

Posted

Whiteout conditions in Carryduff, moderate snow starting to lay on all surfaces. I'm 6 miles south of Belfast at city centre at 420 feet in the Castlereagh Hills. Looking at the weather radar shows heavier stuff starting to push in off the Irish Sea.

I'm off to Belfast in 1/2 hour for a work dinner and drinks.

Will I get home that's the question.

Posted

Whiteout conditions in Carryduff, moderate snow starting to lay on all surfaces. I'm 6 miles south of Belfast at city centre at 420 feet in the Castlereagh Hills. Looking at the weather radar shows heavier stuff starting to push in off the Irish Sea.

I'm off to Belfast in 1/2 hour for a work dinner and drinks.

Will I get home that's the question.

I live up Castlereagh Hills .. but I'm in Belfast at the minute ... Starting to stick on our cars at work but not on the ground - though the ground is pretty wet and isn't really sticking very good!

any thoughts on whether it'll snow in dublin later? nice to hear that our friends up north getting some snow. hope it sticks guys.

I'm no expert but you are just south of a band of sleet/snow sitting a few kms north of Dublin which is moving north but which may come back south a little later today/this evening for a short while as the fronts are predicted to pivot. Thereafter a wintry mix of sleet & snow showers coming in off Irish Sea. Potential on late Sunday for more perisitent snow or sleet but difficult to predict this far out.

I think we still need temps to get closer to freezing point north & south to get any decent settled snow away from high ground.

Posted

Rain, sleet and snow here all day. Enjoy the snow those that have it. The east coast may get proper snow early tomorrow and in to the afternoon as the front pushes back west with really cold air behind.

Bollicks - just seen BBCNI weather - ground temps (& air temps) too high for settling snow in eastern areas & north coast areas until after tea time.

East coasts of Leinster look to do better than Belfast for settling snow this afternoon looking at the graphics which may bring surprose snow to some!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow!
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow!

Picture taken 7.30 this morning Longford. On my way to work snow from Longford to Mullingar 1 deg. Then Rain/sleet to Dublin 2 deg.

Photo didn't attach :-)

post-12611-0-56169400-1358517096_thumb.j

Posted

Bollicks - just seen BBCNI weather - ground temps (& air temps) too high for settling snow in eastern areas & north coast areas until after tea time.

East coasts of Leinster look to do better than Belfast for settling snow this afternoon looking at the graphics which may bring surprose snow to some!

I would take those graphics with a large pinch of salt. Watch the radars instead.

Streamers kicking off in the Irish Sea.

Posted

Just home from work, not much really lying in Antrim when I left but place is white in Glengormley and getting quite heavy, also roads are getting a bit tricky. Temp currently 0.5°

Was expecting snow by now! Was expecting so much from this but so far things are very localised!!

Looking at radar it has only been intervals of precip for you so far (not sure of your temps as to rain/sleet/snow).

BBCNI tv forecast graphics show more persisitent & heavier a nd settling snow for counties Armagh, Tyrone , Fermanagh, Derry, Monaghan, Leitrim & Donegal this afternoon. Quite a lot of counties in central/northern Leinster look good for settling snow this afternoon (even at coast!).

Been snowing moderately for an hour now at Dunmurry - very, very little settling amounts on grass and car windscreens - nothing on roads & pavements. Horrible cold waterdrops falling of trees. I would imagine Belfast hills would be getting heavy settling snow with great amounts building.

I think the strong wind (gusts 30mph) is the spoiler for us bringing slightly higher air & dew point temps quite a way inland otherwise I would already have around 30 - 50mm by now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather, thunderstorms, snow

Front starting to move north of me now so big decline in snowfall rate. Hopefully the low will drag it back SW later. Still got a decent covering on grass and rooftops, ground just a mess with a slushy wet mix. Best of luck to all up north.