Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussions 17th January 2013 onwards

The watcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

sleet and wet snow in bangor now. its changing fairly quick.

Pomeroy, sorry to hear about that. I send my best wishes.

Posted

Last night Su Campo posted a very useful chart which I think was called a theta-W. I've scoured meteociel for it but can't find it (not a morning person, lol). Can anyone advise? Also, how the heck do you read these properly? Any info appreciated. pm me if The Watcher thinks it will clutter up the thread but there may be others who'd like to know more about this as well. Su Campo, if you're around, perhaps you could help here????

Posted

Why is it hard to believe? It's a rain to snow event and how often do you see snow coming from the south. Give it a chance to set in. Been snowing in Omagh for 40 mins now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow!
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow!

Picture taken 7.30 this morning Longford. On my way to work snow from Longford to Mullingar 1 deg. Then Rain/sleet to Dublin 2 deg.

post-12611-0-16892400-1358516974_thumb.j

Edited by jamesd

Posted

Why is it hard to believe? It's a rain to snow event and how often do you see snow coming from the south. Give it a chance to set in. Been snowing in Omagh for 40 mins now.

Cos not much is happening here! But as you say, patience grasshopper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

after a night of very heavy rain and flooding, the rain turned to sleet and snow, at 10:00 am this morning for half an hour, then stopped. oh wellat least i seen a few flakes. goodluck to the rest of ye in the country.

met eirann forecast not very promising this morning, I couldn't believe it,less cold by wednesday, so I looked at wetterzentrale weather charts, looked at ecm and thought what charts are they looking at?

pomeroy: best wishes mate.

Posted

Trying to snow here in Belfast. Nothing lying though. Hopefully it plays out well later. I'm no expert at all though so just reporting what I'm seeing outside at the minute.

Posted

Current weather and dewpoints at 12 pm.

Weather

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynop?lang=en&esc=2&nav=Yes&lat=55N&lon=005W&proy=orto&base=bluem&ano=2013&mes=1&day=18&hora=12&min=0&vsg=Sg

Dewpoints

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynop?lang=en&esc=2&nav=Yes&lat=55N&lon=005W&proy=orto&base=bluem&ano=2013&mes=1&day=18&hora=12&min=0&vtd=Td

The theta-w 850 chart (850 hPa wet-bulb potential temperature) is a good estimate of snowline. It takes the wet-bulb temperature at 850 hPa (which lies around 1/3 of the way between dewpoint and dry-bulb temperature at that level) and reduces it moist-adiabatically to 1000 hPa. It gives a good idea of what will happen to a snowflake as it falls towards the ground because as it falls it melts, and as this moisture evaporates it cools the flake and prevents it from further melting.

A rough guide for snow to sea-level would be theta-w of 0-1 °C. For every increase in theta-w the snowline increases by around 50-100 m.

This is only one factor that needs to be taken into account, however, so it's not always plain sailing.

Weatheronline have theta-w charts for the GFS and NAE.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&VAR=thew&HH=12&BASE=-&WMO=&ZOOM=0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

heavy snow on and off in Bangor, right down to coast. nothing lying though.