Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013, 06z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

How did u come up with that, why do u think they would miss out. I think its a tough call.

I came up with that as the low will be taking a more southerly route than today's, therefore snow (so far) will be for the more southern counties however the north may see more showers instead of prolonged snow, also the fax shows a front, which illustrates what im talking about, I will do an update tomorrow when the 12z's come out.

post-17320-0-27893300-1358550444_thumb.g

Edited by Panayiotis

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

One important factor we need to see the HP to the north push south because the LP to the west of Ireland would introduce milder westerlies by the end of next week PPVO89.png

Posted

I come from Merthyr originally and can remember 1963, we were going past the 3rd Reservoir to Brecon (the Beacons res, just by the mountain road to Hirwaun) and the had an AA box there, in those days they were the size of phone boxes and they'd dug it out of the drifts which were 18inches (~50cm) above to top of the phone box, amazing

Also remember walking down to James Street in Twynyrodyn, and the drifts were up to my waist (OK I was 7 at the time, but still impressive)

Now that is what you call a red warning!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Light snow here

Posted

I came up with that as the low will be taking a more southerly route than today's, therefore snow (so far) will be for the more southern counties however the north may see more showers instead of prolonged snow, I will do an update tomorrow when the 12z's come out.

Good call if u get it right, really will be. I think it will stay south and miss us, hope not.

Posted

Good call if u get it right, really will be. I think it will stay south and miss us, hope not.

We shall see, hope im right because then we will both have snow! Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

Light snow here

Yes been snowing for a while amazing Marcus how slow everything moving around LP this shower sits on Swansea for about 15 min lol.

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl

Minus one here in Bargoed but got melting snow and drizzle[very fine] coming down. Very disconcerting to say the least and very surprising.

Any ideas whyJK

Posted

sorry to go off subject all but my mate on here Foggybrynna has just become a dad 10 mins ago, his wife just gave birth to a baby boy, congrats micky (Foggybrynna) even you had snow today ha ha (private joke) be nice if you could all keep the snow away until Monday and then blow it all down to brynna as No one loves snow more than Micky and he deserves a good dumping so he can stay in and watch it with his new born son.

Posted

Minus one here in Bargoed but got melting snow and drizzle[very fine] coming down. Very disconcerting to say the least and very surprising.

Any ideas whyJK

Probably turns into ice when it hits the ground its called freezing rain. This happens when the temp above the surface (+500m) is warmer +0C which means anything that falls would be rain, but when the rain hits the colder air at the surface it starts to freeze, its one of the worst weathers to have as everything can turn into an ice ring.

Weird though as I thought the upper air temp now would be lower than 0C, it should be more like -5C!

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe disruptive snow or any other severe weather!

sorry to go off subject all but my mate on here Foggybrynna has just become a dad 10 mins ago, his wife just gave birth to a baby boy, congrats micky (Foggybrynna) even you had snow today ha ha (private joke) be nice if you could all keep the snow away until Monday and then blow it all down to brynna as No one loves snow more than Micky and he deserves a good dumping so he can stay in and watch it with his new born son.

congratulations, we will order a dumping for monday night for all of wales then. Steady light snow here still

Posted

Well what a mad outlook Snow from east Snow from the the west it MAD !!13012018_1818.gif

that's the stuff I was talking about on here earlier and some thought it would not make land (the stuff to our west that is). just goes to show how things change doesn't it,i really have got a feeling now that next week could turn this winter into a very memorable year, its just a gut feeling, there is ice hanging from roof and windows and snow stuck onto the side of house and the last time I saw anything like this was 82, todays snow may be the start. better keep an eye out as we will need more bread and milk,and maybe more ale ha ha

Posted

Freezing rain is extremely dangerous, can obviously cause black ice in large stretches of road, often washing any salt away, but it also freezes on inpact on any object. So trees, powerlines etc etc get cased in ice which causes them to break due to weight. Known as ice storms in the USA.

So if its rain you have and 2m temps are below zero you have freezing rain. Its caused just as Panayiotis said.

Sometimes a layer of less cold air becomes trapped in a pocket as two air masses meet.

Posted

that's the stuff I was talking about on here earlier and some thought it would not make land (the stuff to our west that is). just goes to show how things change doesn't it,i really have got a feeling now that next week could turn this winter into a very memorable year, its just a gut feeling, there is ice hanging from roof and windows and snow stuck onto the side of house and the last time I saw anything like this was 82, todays snow may be the start. better keep an eye out as we will need more bread and milk,and maybe more ale ha ha

Possibly but check my signature for my description of what February may have instore!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Yes been snowing for a while amazing Marcus how slow everything moving around LP this shower sits on Swansea for about 15 min lol.

this is a very long shower lol

Posted

Possibly but check my signature for my description of what February may have instore!

sorry how do I do that to check,im only good at building snowmen lol

Posted

sorry how do I do that to check,im only good at building snowmen lol

Under this post shows some information eg Days with snow falling: etc my prediction is under that. Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

Under this post shows some information eg Days with snow falling: etc

I cant get over im learning all this off a 16 yr old ha ha thanks, my kids are older than you but saying that I learn off them every day as well.

Posted

I cant get over im learning all this off a 16 yr old ha ha thanks, my kids are older than you but saying that I learn off them every day as well.

I have been doing this since I was 13 but my interest in weather started when I was 10, but didnt make an account until last summer, hoping to do a degree in maths/meteorology and join the metoffice! Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

It seems that the band out to the west and south west have both decreased in size and intensity, probably going to get few flakes and thats it, but I dont mind, its still white outside! ;)

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

It seems that the band out to the west and south west have both decreased in size and intensity, probably going to get few flakes and thats it, but I dont mind, its still white outside! tease.gif

Still snowing in Swansea, and has been for the past half an hour!

Posted

Still snowing in Swansea, and has been for the past half an hour!

Just out of curiosity, how heavy? By the looks of things I may get some v.light stuff, but thats great you guys got some!