Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013, 06z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Almost stopped now.

Did it amount to anything? Radar looks weird, precipitation heading in every possible direction!

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

A quieter weekend now - with alot less snow if any - but it ain't gone away - next week - prep for further extremely bad coold weather again - monday/tuesday and possibly wednesday too

Posted

A quieter weekend now - with alot less snow if any - but it ain't gone away - next week - prep for further extremely bad coold weather again - monday/tuesday and possibly wednesday too

Hi Andy what would you say are the chances of snow next mon/tue and any idea of amounts if it does come, reason I ask is I will have to move my car down from here to main road if we do have much snow because the council never clear up here and got important hospital appoint next tues and next thurs,and if I leave car here got no chance of getting out, unless the kids get the shovels out and dig the 400 yards ha ha in fact they going to have to do that anyway as I cant see this stuff melting very soon lol.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I would not say it has been that extreme, a typical snow event really, with localized exceptions. NOWHERE reported FEET of snow, and marginal in sw Wales. Neither has it been especially cold, its barely below zero out there this morning. A nice cold spell and a lovely 3 inches left for me here. just pray there is limited thaw today!

Posted

I would not say it has been that extreme, a typical snow event really, with localized exceptions. NOWHERE reported FEET of snow, and marginal in sw Wales. Neither has it been especially cold, its barely below zero out there this morning. A nice cold spell and a lovely 3 inches left for me here. just pray there is limited thaw today!

I agree - admittedly there have been a few in favoured locations (higher ground) that have had approaching a foot, but most of us have simply seen your average light or moderate fall of snow with a slight frost. Nothing spectacular, but pretty nice nonetheless. smile.png

Edited by Buzz

Posted

Loads of areas around me have. Weve had about 9 inches level snow. And some drifts of 5-6 feet. I will get some pics later

Posted

Sorry I meant FEET of level representative snow, although admittedly big drifts are spectacular!

Posted

Same here. We had 3 falls deeper during Dec 09 and Jan 10 (missed out on the very deep stuff during December 2010).

Very nice though.

No drifting at all here. It was very still most of the day. Not exactly the roaring blizzard I was expecting.

Wouldn't make the top 10 of snow falls here in my 34 (almost 35) years.

Posted

Same here. We had 3 falls deeper during Dec 09 and Jan 10 (missed out on the very deep stuff during December 2010).

Very nice though.

No drifting at all here. It was very still most of the day. Not exactly the roaring blizzard I was expecting.

Wouldn't make the top 10 of snow falls here in my 34 (almost 35) years.

Long way to go this winter expect plenty of Snow events over the coming weeks,more snow looks likely , Edited by keithlucky

Posted

Thing is we expect them every winter, at least we are seeing opportunity this winter indeed!

Posted

Thing is we expect them every winter, at least we are seeing opportunity this winter indeed!

True Tony sometimes you expect a decent present at xmas but most of the time it"s a sad pair of socks!You sense a special cold spell like 2010 and the same feeling again .

Posted

What makes this close to 2010 event, is not so much the snow depth, but the events over the last week have been almost countrywide snow events. Also so often we get a 1 day snowfall followed by a rapid thaw, but again like 2010 we get low temperatures keeping the thaw at bay, allowing everyone that wants to to get out and enjoy the snow. Lets not get too picky, most on here would of given anything for half the amount and just one days lying snow prior to xmas when we had the rain, rain and more rain.

It looks like winter and feels like winter and my four year old has seen proper snow for first time that he can remember ( he was two in 2010 and remembers nothing)

Posted

The remarkable thing for me about this snow event was the wind, made it seem much more 'extreme' than it was in terms of the amount of snow. Yesterday was the windiest day here in almost a year (in terms of wind run over the whole day, gusts were not spectacular).

We also has more snow in December 2010 as well.

However looking back of photos then and comparing them to now, then the snow came down normally and there were consistent accumulations this time, some walls are covered as it was coming down sideways at times, and that is forgetting the drifting.

The next few days look mostly dry, but assuming the cold stays until Friday or thereabouts, current models guidance but subject to change, will it resemble Dec 10 when this snow stayed but with not much further snow, or Feb 09 when there were repeated snow events from the South West.

Edited by Jackone

Posted

Long way to go this winter expect plenty of Snow events over the coming weeks,more snow looks likely ,

Very true. I also recognise how spoilt we have been since 2009.

Also I agree with Pyrotech. The fact that it will be on the ground for quite a while due to the low temps differentiates it from a normal transitional "events" which is usually the best we can hope for.

Would be great to have a proper raging channel low though. We're well over due I would say. Could this year be the one?

Posted

anyone know if we going to get more snow either tomorrow or monday husband has to leave for london early hours monday morning so need to know as he might have to leave day earlier thanks all

Posted

I thought channel lows tend to miss Wales by no more than a few miles, usually bringing their snow to southernmost counties of England?

anyone know if we going to get more snow either tomorrow or monday husband has to leave for london early hours monday morning so need to know as he might have to leave day earlier thanks all

No snow here other than a few flurries, perhaps a little more towards London. Perhaps some snow here on Monday. smile.png

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted

Very true. I also recognise how spoilt we have been since 2009.

Also I agree with Pyrotech. The fact that it will be on the ground for quite a while due to the low temps differentiates it from a normal transitional "events" which is usually the best we can hope for.

Would be great to have a proper raging channel low though. We're well over due I would say. Could this year be the one?

We need the the HP over Scotland rather than reverse zonality we got now ,saying that Monday / Tuesday snow event looks very promising .10cm across S wales possible. Edited by keithlucky

Posted

Monday has potential for us. Ireland and southwest England starting to turn very pink with the front moving in from the Atlantic; Wales naturally its next destination. Awaiting the 12Z with bated breath.

13012106_1906.gif

Posted

Hope the cloud clears tonight to freeze the snow proper, only managed -1.6c with all the cloud, and problem is then it easily gets above freezing in the day, hopefully stays below 1c though.

Edited by TonyH