Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Friday 18th >>

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Models suggest a more general risk across the east coast this evening rather than any major concentration of precipitation, which suggests further shifting around of the shower vectors:

13012003_1918.gif

Interesting to note that there seems to be an hourly phasing of these showers, with one roughly every half hour hitting north Edinburgh-south Fife and another hitting north Fife-Dundee half an hour after that. The former of this phase hit further south so I'd expect the latter to as well.

Posted

BBC's '63 Big Freeze summary..

• a: here's the video
  • b: watch from 42 mins.. for the best bit "english don't wear enough clothes" (Scotland had already had 50 days +)
  • c: (very forward of her)
  • d: 42.52 "Black Woolly Pants!!"
  • e: 43.26 The Analysis smile.png - that tune..

Edited by Snooz

Posted

Doctormog fingers x'd here feeling very left out now

Yes indeed, fingers and toes! My dew point temperature is way down now and I would expect any precipitation to be pretty dryish snow.

On that subject the 18z NAE has upped the precipitation a little this evening but I still think it will be very hit and miss:

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/01/19/basis18/ukuk/prty/13012000_1918.gif

Posted

Still going in Stirling .. I think cheggers may have something with the after dark hypothesis. We have had nothing all day, but as soon as it got dark bam....

Interesting

Posted

Well spotted LS. I had not realised the uppers were quite that cold out east!

Been wee flurries for last hour, but very fine and easy to miss! It's not below freezing but everything seems to be freezing up and snow falling is nice and dry. Hopefully these showers get going - cant see anything offshore for here doc? Nice conveyer set up for Lothians again it looks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

• b: watch from 42 mins.. for the best bit "english don't wear enough clothes" (Scotland had already had 50 days +)
  • (very forward of her)
  • c: 42.52 "Black Woolly Pants!!"
  • 43.26 The Analysis smile.png - that tune..

If we're ever due another 2010-11 snow-bound winter, if the more knowledgeable in here can give me enough warning, I'll get going on knitting everyone Black Woolly Pants to wear under our kilts! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Neighbour across the street has spent that past hr clearing his drive and pavement at side of his house. It's covered again already. Lol

I do that just to make sure it keeps snowing!!

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

LS could u tell me if u look at the first pic the isobar thing with 134 is over fife then in the second pic its moved to the north east does that mean if thats moving north theres a chance the moisture will move back north with it

13012000_1918.gif

13012003_1918.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Models suggest a more general risk across the east coast this evening rather than any major concentration of precipitation, which suggests further shifting around of the shower vectors:

13012003_1918.gif

Interesting to note that there seems to be an hourly phasing of these showers, with one roughly every half hour hitting north Edinburgh-south Fife and another hitting north Fife-Dundee half an hour after that. The former of this phase hit further south so I'd expect the latter to as well.

They don't even bother putting a 0 over the Black Isle - the snawshield's so effective, it's taken for granted and they don't want to waste electrons or ink.

Posted

Temp has definitely dropped a bit, wind is feeling more chilly too! Not much happening in north sea tho just now showers seem to be further south towards Dundee/fife

Posted

Still nothing here, a wee flurry earlier but that is all. Everything just dies before it makes it here.

Even the Arrochar Alps have seen heavier and more precipitation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

LS could u tell me if u look at the first pic the isobar thing with 134 is over fife then in the second pic its moved to the north east does that mean if thats moving north theres a chance the moisture will move back north with it

13012000_1918.gif

13012003_1918.gif

Yes, generally the convective activity moving northwards through the evening, albeit slowly. Could still be a few more hours of it yet though for central areas I reckon.

GFS 18Z, with the help of a more southerly flow and just holding the uppers, keeps Monday as an all snow event

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Would be touch and go of course but if it remained as snow and managed to stick we could be looking at somewhere in the region of 4-6 inches, perhaps even, going by this, 8 inches to a foot of additional snowfall from Sunday evening onwards.

Posted

Been wee flurries for last hour, but very fine and easy to miss! It's not below freezing but everything seems to be freezing up and snow falling is nice and dry. Hopefully these showers get going - cant see anything offshore for here doc? Nice conveyer set up for Lothians again it looks.

The radar only seems to start picking them up (range issue?) relatively close to the coast but there seems to be more activity developing directly out east which, if true, will become evident in the next hour or two. It may just be very light but I am watching developments juist in case: http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/Home/ZoomRadar?lat=57.205&lon=-2.172727272727272&z=7&x=342&y=114

I agree though that things do currently look more lively for areas further south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

Yes, generally the convective activity moving northwards through the evening, albeit slowly. Could still be a few more hours of it yet though for central areas I reckon.

GFS 18Z, with the help of a more southerly flow and just holding the uppers, keeps Monday as an all snow event

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Would be touch and go of course but if it remained as snow and managed to stick we could be looking at somewhere in the region of 4-6 inches, perhaps even, going by this, 8 inches to a foot of additional snowfall from Sunday evening onwards.

cheers for the answer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

It is dry here this evening (as far as I can see) but is that real genuine authentic precipitation out to sea heading in this direction or is it some of that nasty Sassenach-inspired anaprop designed to fool me into thinking it may actually snow in Aberdeen? Answers on a postcard...

Looking at the various attributes on NMM, found the vertical velocity 700mb charts, happy to be corrected here as just guesswork on my part. Earlier this evening you can see a broad area of negative values off the East Coast, if I am reading this correctly then this would keep things flat, later on then the values return to neutral allowing more excitation as the flow progresses onshore.

post-7292-0-55235700-1358632279_thumb.pn post-7292-0-58493500-1358632285_thumb.pn

• c: (very forward of her)
  • d: 42.52 "Black Woolly Pants!!"
  • e: 43.26 The Analysis smile.png - that tune..

LOL - Had no idea how that made it into the programme? Perhaps fishnets and Bridget Jones pants were all the rage in 63 ! Totally agree about the tune, tis a goodie !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snoooowwww with some thunderstorms on the side

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

That darkest blob on the second pic looks to be right over my house! :)

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

I promised I would have it white for your return Big Innes and white it is. good.gif

Aye,

Yer word is yer bond HS!

It's lookin fair braw oot there noo mate.

Big Innes

Posted

Temps dropped to 0.4C and a few flakes fluttering down. If I can't get more snow I'd take some frost to consolidate what we've got.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

DH about to be getting settled for MOTD. Me settled with the laptop. Perfecto.

Now more snow has fallen to give another lovely all white covering even after all today's efforts to shift the fallen snow off the drive/path.

Whats next I wonder? Tmrw still looking ok then by all accounts. I can't quite believe that another blast is coming this way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Sorry dude. Another BS chart for me - seen this pink covered chart twice now (on different snowfall potential) and I have no reason to believe it'll be correct third time round.

Posted

Any gaps in the snow after today's thaw, gritting anf fun are very gradually filling up. Almost total cover again albeit thin in places. More showers please :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

things actually looking decent again for convection tomorrow before even the main event happens....could be some couple of days for many....SS may have to exit his hoose fae the roof

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Well, tomorrow is Snowday Eve, and then the day after that is Snowday. :)

Welcome back - we kept it on hold for you!

Aye, we have the top team in here.

That could be The Day After Tomorrow BMw!!!

Big Innes