Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Friday 18th >>

lorenzo

Posted

sorry if this is posted already as I haven't got to the end of the thread, but - BBC2 right now has Weather Watch featuring - Big Freeze of '63

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Husband just measured snaw oot back and its just under 8". Not thawed at all here. I take back everything I said aboot youz ok. good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well I got out for my play in the snow, with the pretence of walking the dog, took a trip up Mither Tap on Bennachie (not right to the top as the last bit is awkward enough for the dog when there's no snow). Amazing what a difference there is in the snow there, even at car park level. It's only a couple of miles further west and 100m higher but the snow is lovely squeaky stuff that makes perfect snowballs, compared to the wet claggy stuff in the village. Not as much snow up higer as there was at the start of Dec though, but it's almost powdery and much easier to walk in than the heavy deep stuff last time.

Need a bit of a freeze now to preserve the snow we have, in preparation for Monday.

Posted

Hopeless case here. It rained a wee while ago. Yes, fkn rain at 0.8cdoh.gif

Drizzle here with 0.9 and 0c dp...

Posted

Enjoying the big freeze of 1963 on bbc 2. I hope everyone sees some more snow overnight and during the coming days. Still very frustrating for my location but at least I'm enjoying the seasonal conditions and occasional snow flurries. It seems like there could be another easterly after Monday's event but after that it's still uncertain about how long the cold spell will last for but I'm still hoping for heights over Greenland around February.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

sorry if this is posted already as I haven't got to the end of the thread, but - BBC2 right now has Weather Watch featuring - Big Freeze of '63

Love the old style commentary on this programme, just listened in whilst looking through the chart archive from around mid December 62 through until February. Some absolutely outrageous charts within, worth a scan through for lovers of cold.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

light snow sems to be coming from North East this time. We lost nearly all the snow today. Was up at Beecraigs nearly 1000ft up and not much more than 2cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Enjoying the big freeze of 1963 on bbc 2. I hope everyone sees some more snow overnight and during the coming days. Still very frustrating for my location but at least I'm enjoying the seasonal conditions and occasional snow flurries. It seems like there could be another easterly after Monday's event but after that it's still uncertain about how long the cold spell will last for but I'm still hoping for heights over Greenland around February.

I'm watching it, can't believe that happened in the UK.

Edited by Allyw12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

I'm watch it, can't believe that happened in the UK.

Some of those charts have a familiar look to them as well!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Loving the analysis charts and science behind the Big Freeze on that show blaming this

, amazing foresight

Couple of beauties from the archive Jan and Feb.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1963/Rrea00119630202.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1963/Rrea00119630101.gif

1962 saw a Canadian Warming in the Stratosphere in November followed by a midwinter warming in February, ENSO was neutral and QBO was Easterly, solar activity was at a minimum.

Another wee flurry here, seems to be the continuing theme for this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

a downgrade on bbc weather now for cumbernauld for monday, down to light snow now. can anyone tell me if this is based on anything or just their usual guesses? cheers! :-)

Edited by gsteruk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Eerily familiar, same as last night - nothing all day and now the very fine "dust motes" have been gently whirling around for 10-15 minutes continuously... if you've ever beaten an old feather quilt over the line outside on a sunny day then you know exactly what I mean. I do realise that might be one of you if i'm very lucky and more likely to be none of you but it is the only thing I can think of to describe it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Horizontal snow with small fine flakes and settling

edit: it's small snowpellets, but at least the bare ground is turning white again

Edited by snow1975

Posted

North East England is getting the full treatment. Endless showers rolling in. Probably SE Scotland aswell. SS will be buried soon.

Edited by Snowplough33

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Damn, knew I shouldn't have headed back to Fife tonightrofl.gif Mind you, hefty looking shower just to the east heading in, could be interesting, and the NMM/NAE place the greatest snow risk overnight for Fife and Dundee.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Dry as a bone, frigidly cold with a biting er breeze all day. Fckn snawshield, need WMD here. Hills to south & west look well dusted (didn't look that hard) so off out for a dawn walk tomorrow then away oop north next week. We seem to be on for another week of cold but still just yer useless south-easterlies I see... Pffft.

At least.... 5-0!!!

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

It looks like parts of the lothians are seeing some snow from quite a hefty shower. A straw to clutch but at least the NAE rain/snow chart shows something of interest for midnight.

13012000_1912.gif

And with a bit of luck we'll see charts for Monday looking like this by Sunday night.

13012112_1912.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Snaw, snaw, snaw....

Busy cooking whole honey roast duck . mmmmmm

Mini Miss SS making snowman with visiting friends.

drinks.gif

Sounds good. Duck with a nice wine I hope!

And are you sure it's a snowman? You can tell by the number of carrots she asks for.