Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Friday 18th >>

lorenzo

Posted

BFT, need a plan for this Snaw shield, as dry here too, looks great oot East but keeps heading to my North. nea.gif

Same here. I think we need the wind to change to more of ENEly. If nothing changes then I'll give up on the easterly until Monday's event - even still that could end up to our east too.

Posted

Anyone been up cairngorm recently? Is it worth the 8hr drive ? Also anyone know how easy it is to drive the a9 to Aviemore if its snowing? Do they do loads of grit runs or is it snow chains?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Very sad news BFT, whilst we all enjoy the snow and hunting the snow , a sobering news report. Thoughts go to families of those affected.

Posted

Anyone been up cairngorm recently? Is it worth the 8hr drive ? Also anyone know how easy it is to drive the a9 to Aviemore if its snowing? Do they do loads of grit runs or is it snow chains?

I think with the strongish wind at present it could be a bit dicey in places. As for the A9, the grit runs normally do a good job, and it doesn't stay closed for too long, just make sure your well equipped in case of a few hours stationary.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: long snowy winters, fresh spring, balmy summers, and cool crispy autumns

6 folks caught in avalanche, appears fatalities sad.png

aw thats awful newssad.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

The A9 is gritted often, however if conditions are v bad there are many areas where the snow gates are closed. It all depends. The road is single lane with some passing dual carriageway but is quite a bad road for accidents. So always be careful. Advise having plenty supplies in car and a Plan B if heading north. Conditions at the moment are ok.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Anyone been up cairngorm recently? Is it worth the 8hr drive ?

Depends what you want to go there for? Skiing or snowboarding? Walking?

Also anyone know how easy it is to drive the a9 to Aviemore if its snowing? Do they do loads of grit runs or is it snow chains?

A9 is one of Scotland's main north-south routes so is well-maintained, gritted and ploughed if need be. It does routinely go down to one lane on the dual carriageway sections if the snow is heavy but I've never had a problem driving it in winter, though of course the snow gates do get closed at a few key high points if it's really bad. You shouldn't need chains.......but winter tyres are generally a good idea wherever you are once it gets below 7C, whether it's the A9 or the M4 smile.png

EDIT - Snowy Owl beat me to it :)

Edited by Scotster

BBC news just updated this a few minutes ago

Three climbers are missing after an avalanche in Glencoe in the Scottish Highlands.

A party of five climbers are believed to have been caught up in the avalanche in an area known as Bidean Nam Bain, at about 14:00.

Police said Glencoe Mountain Rescue Team was searching for three people.

They said one male climber was safe and a female climber with serious injuries had been found and taken to Belford Hospital in Fort William.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-21101217

Edited by weathermaster

Posted

A90 between Dundee and Perth very bad right now. Take it easy if you are going on it. Accident just being cleared at shell garage on west bound side.

Edited by cscrim

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Wind has picked up here this afternoon. I was out with the kids best part of the afternoon sledging (was getting a little sparse on the grassy hill) although a lot of melting going on. Windchill definitely being felt now. A few passing flurries today and a fair bit of cloud. So not having had a chance to view anything on NW today, whats the prognosis for the coming couple of days?

Posted

Awful news...thoughts with all the families..and certainly puts all the snow hunting in perspective...

Posted

Temp has dropped here from earlier, now 0.9C, DP -1.0C and the last shower was proper snow which settled.

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

BFT, need a plan for this Snaw shield, as dry here too, looks great oot East but keeps heading to my North. nea.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A90 between Dundee and Perth very bad right now. Take it easy if you are going on it. Accident just being cleared at shell garage on west bound side.

Some of the roads in Dundee are treacherous right now. Just in from skidding all over the place. This current car is the worst I have ever driven with on snow and ice. Unfortunately it looks like it can cope but is useless. I give you the non 4 wheel drive quashqai. Perhaps i should have got winters? A lighter shower just passing at the moment.

Brother just phoned from aberfeldy. Several inches of snow up there he says.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

radar not looking good for Glasgow and the surrounding areas cray.gifcray.gif

Yep its rubbish. Even the snow forecast for monday will miss here the way things are going.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Temperature back up to 2C after a lighter shower so could do with either heavier stuff or a clearance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Hope you guys have some big totals and enjoyed the trough, looks like its coming to the NE of England now.

Awful news about the avalanche though , thoughts with their families

Posted

Yep its rubbish. Even the snow forecast for monday will miss here the way things are going.

I think it will snow on Monday but I bet it won't bring any accumilations with it. If that is to be the case roll on the breakdown.