Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

The sun is coming down now and the very cold air will be set in tonight with -5 to -10C in places.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted

Wow how are you managing Alza?

Edited by itsnowjoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

There's more snow caked onto the roof of our car from Tuesday's heavy snow in the North East than in the whole of Keswick!

Wow how are you managing Alza?

We didn't have to take the car anywhere - lucky as its right in the middle of the lane!

Posted

I notice the cloud base is now lifting and I can see the Pennines for the first time today. Hopefully this will allow the temperature to drop and get some clear spells tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

just watched the forecast on News BBC 24 and it shows tomasz schafernaker again from this morning. It must be recorded.

seems like the met office is busy looking at tomorrows weather atm. I really hoping for snow push west enough to reach us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Gone very dark outside with light snow which is slightly larger than dandruff lol very cold with no rise above 1.6c today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

NAE should be coming out now, I see NE England is covered by a warning Sunday for the snow, some of the outputs take a band of ppn over the whole region but we'll see!

Posted

12z NAE is coming out now. Generally poor for our patch. There could be a little bit of snow tomorrow afternoon/evening but most of it is reserved for the east of the Pennines.

At 18z tomorrow afternoon however there is a little bit of snow across the North Midlands which could affect south Cheshire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

12z NAE is coming out now. Generally poor for our patch. There could be a little bit of snow tomorrow afternoon/evening but most of it is reserved for the east of the Pennines.

At 18z tomorrow afternoon however there is a little bit of snow across the North Midlands which could affect south Cheshire.

how about Manchester area?

Posted

The potential for a dusting but that's about it (based on 12z NAE alone)

The precipitation gets perilously close but never quite there. Mainly east of the Pennines.

Posted

any snow cover and melt water will refreeze and go crusty tonight. As for tomorrow evening maybe snow reaching here, it just depends how the wind is strong enough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

The potential for a dusting but that's about it (based on 12z NAE alone)

The precipitation gets perilously close but never quite there. Mainly east of the Pennines.

OK cheers mate

Posted

I can't see that unless the cloud clears. Infact, if it doesn't I wouldn't surprise it only gets down to -1C.

Yes, this cloud is a nuisance during the night.

Posted

Thanks guys, any chance for a link?

On my phone I'm afraid!

Looking at it again, I guess I may have been a bit pessimistic. Maybe a cm of snow possible tomorrow evening/night in Manchester but I wouldn't hold my breath. The line of darker blues (2/3/4) mm is more or less directly in line with the Pennines. Best chances look to be before midnight, but generally low risk.

Posted

according to my ipad weather app it is says Snow for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Im not surprised. mellow.png

Alex deakin on the weather forecast did show some clear skies in north west toight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Decent dusting again here after half an hour of heavy snizzle.

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Well, fancy that! XC Weather has dug around and found some bits of snow for now and then next week.. Even a blizzard next Saturday evening.

http://xcweather.co.uk/

Doubt any of it is nailed on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Not much chance for the North West I'd suspect unless the system pushes westwards as it heads north.

Can't see it happening TBH but hopefully the same block that gave our part of the region drought conditions on Friday will work in our favour on Sunday and Monday and push it our way.

Either way though, if any part of the region will get something from this it should be eastern parts of both Greater Manchester and Lancashire and the Peak District due to its southerly position.

Severely stung last time though so until I see snow falling I'm not getting my hopes up.

Posted

On my phone I'm afraid!

Looking at it again, I guess I may have been a bit pessimistic. Maybe a cm of snow possible tomorrow evening/night in Manchester but I wouldn't hold my breath. The line of darker blues (2/3/4) mm is more or less directly in line with the Pennines. Best chances look to be before midnight, but generally low risk.

Thanks Joe, somebody posted it on the model output thread and it looks ok. As you say, it looks heavy on the Pennines. I also think Cumbria will do fine on Monday because as the system moves north will also edge a bit further west.

Posted

12z GFS is similar to the 12z NAE I'm afraid. The chance of snow but most of it on the Pennines and to the east of them. Could be a dusting east of Manchester.

Will be another nowcasting event for sure

Posted

Edit - 12z GFS is actually much better and keeps light snow for the east of the region going all night Sunday night into Monday. Best snow in East Cumbria and on the Pennines

Edited by Joe Bloggs

Posted

The 12 gfs is delaying the system a bit but then gives a decent fall of snow to the east and north of the region. The main band arrives early on Monday.

Joe, you are faster than me! haha

Edited by karyo