Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

oooo Just had a snowball fight, gave my gloves to my friend because she didn't have any but I regret it now! BRRRRRR.

Slight thaw going on here, 1.4°C.

OUOu my fingers hurt!!

Can you tell I'm having a good time?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I'm a bit hyper TBH.

OOO

Posted

Melting like the clappers here. Knew it last night. There's just no deep cold pool around

Slight erosion of the snow from the windows of the cars, but certainly not what you would call a thaw. 1C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

1.7 here. Grim

Slight erosion of the snow from the windows of the cars, but certainly not what you would call a thaw. 1C.

You have 100m more elevation on your side :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Not thawing really away from gritted paths, cars and roofs. Shame really, it's doing my head in now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Just been out for an hour and must have missed the heaviest snow we have had so far.

Don't know how long it lasted but it put another cm down.

Temperature is steady at -0.8c so no signs of anything thawing here and so long as we maintain that easterly flow I can't see that changing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Not thawing really away from gritted paths, cars and roofs. Shame really, it's doing my head in now.

I have lost 3" of snow from everywhere

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

You are kidding, right? How did you survive 2009/10, it lasted for weeks! :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

BBC2 at 5.30 today.

Winterwatch 1963 a documentary looking at that winter.

Certainly worth a look, if only to see how many major snow events completely by passed our region.

Posted

Snizzle in Manchester.

I hope we get a bit of light snow tomorrow. You can see the system that will move into the southeast England by morning on the satellite pic. It is over France now.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_IR.html

Karyo

Posted

BBC2 at 5.30 today.

Winterwatch 1963 a documentary looking at that winter.

Certainly worth a look, if only to see how many major snow events completely by passed our region.

Yes, lots of southerly tracking lows and easterlies, which would leave the region often too far North or too far West.

Posted

Yes, lots of southerly tracking lows and easterlies, which would leave the region often too far North or too far West.

Apparantly it was quite severe around these parts at times, especially in January when a major blizzard dumped snow and piled drifts up to 15 feet deep around the town but I think that our easterly position within the region and altitude both played a major part and I can imagine that those lower down and towards the west would have missed out to a large extent.

Posted

Snizzle in Manchester.

I hope we get a bit of light snow tomorrow. You can see the system that will move into the southeast England by morning on the satellite pic. It is over France now.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_IR.html

Karyo

Yeah it really has been frustrating in Manchester hasn't it?! Especially as yesterday it looked as though we were doing well at about 10am!

Frontal snow really can be a pain in the backside here - things really have to be just right.

Touch and go for tomorrow/Monday.

00z GME/ECM gives us a covering by Monday morning, 06z GFS gives us some fleeting precipitation. MetO raw data keeps us generally dry.

I have a horrible feeling we are too far west, as per the latest BBC/MetO forecasts.

Things can change though of course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I think the east of the region will get some precipitation on Sunday, will probably be an East/West split similar to Friday somewhere around Manchester will be the line.

Posted

Yeah it really has been frustrating in Manchester hasn't it?! Especially as yesterday it looked as though we were doing well at about 10am!

Frontal snow really can be a pain in the backside here - things really have to be just right.

Touch and go for tomorrow/Monday.

00z GME/ECM gives us a covering by Monday morning, 06z GFS gives us some fleeting precipitation. MetO raw data keeps us generally dry.

I have a horrible feeling we are too far west, as per the latest BBC/MetO forecasts.

Things can change though of course.

I felt very frustrated around midday yesterday when the whole thing started to fizzle out and I only had 0.5cm of snow cover but the fast that light snow kept going on and off through the evening softened the blow! lol

Yes, today the models has shifted eastwards (with the exception of the ECM and GEM as you say) so not looking too good.

Posted

I'm not all not bothered about the quick thaw, I've seen it snow, I've built my snowman so if this were to be it for the winter then I'd be content enough, much more so than last year anyway.

There are plenty of cold days left in this spell of weather and as the flow will get more slack it will get colder on the surface. Today, we have the easterly wind moderating the surface cold due to the North Sea influence.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Here's an update on my snowdrift:

post-9381-0-12930400-1358606951_thumb.jp

A bit of a thaw since this morning.

Edited by Alza