Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Should be getting heavy snow north of Durham shortly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

the trough which has been sitting across e.scotland all day has been slipping south. Will it run out of steam before it gets to our area?

It seems to be intensifying.

Tomorrows band could easily intensify and clip us from the SE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Can someone with a good knowledge of meteorology answer a question for me.

Today snow showers moving across from the east died as they entered the Eden Valley in east Cumbria, this isnt surprising as the air would descend as it came off the Pennines killing the showers convection.

This sometimes happens in easterly situations.

However, sometimes snow showers from the east cross into Cumbria even reaching the west coast without any loss of intensity. This happened frequently in January 2010 and December 2010 and also February 2009.

So what makes the difference?

I have studied many synoptic charts but similar set ups can have very different results in respect of snow showers surviving the Pennine crossing.

If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.....Cheers,

Andy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Heavy snow now in consett.

how much you got up there? I bet its drifting?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

2.3c currently here, what looks like super wet snow falling, its going almost sideways but doesnt seem that windy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

I stayed in Newton Aycliffe last night. Significantly more snow in here in Gateshead and although temps are above freezing there is no real thaw and the snow showers are adding to the snowcover. Probably around 15cm here. If we get to monday with snowcover that will be a week of lying snow. With October and Decembers snowfall this winter has been much better than last winter and its still only mid Jan.

Posted

Lots and lots of snowgrains when it falls here... can anyone (IF?) give an indication whether we should be getting flakes soon?

P.S. I would like to apologise for my moaning-for-Britain performance yesterday. I started playing up to it and trying to be funny... but then had a REALLY bad phonecall about work and the moaning became terrifyingly real! Apologies all round.blush.png blush.png blush.png

Posted

Also was walking up Roseberry Topping (North York Moors / Cleveland) and the snow was drifting up there in the wind. I would guess there will be some fair sized drifts on the moors today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Could well be 5-10cm tonight in Newcastle, Northumberland, Northern County Durham as long as it isn't too wet, and maybe further south later on in the night.

Posted

Could well be 5-10cm tonight in Newcastle, Northumberland, Northern County Durham as long as it isn't too wet, and maybe further south later on in the night.

Although its slightly above freezing here in Gateshead there isn't much of a thaw going on. I think we may get another few cm's but can't see us getting another 10cm. Hopefully we are on the right side of marginal for monday and tuesday but I thought we would see rain last monday and we had heavy snow.

P.S Anybody watching BBC 2 about the winter of 1963. Good program for us snow junkies lol !

Edited by Snow White

Posted

P.S Anybody watching BBC 2 about the winter of 1963. Good program for us snow junkies lol !

I am :)

Posted

Nick , we have a E turning ENE tonight, much better and this trough should push shrs in for most of the region, loads in Northumberland already, surely over 30cm in parts there.

Some shrs moving into Tyne and Wear in the next few mins- plenty likely to move SWwards over the next few hours , hit and miss though, but less so than yesterday.

Posted

I am :)

yeah its crazy will we ever see a winter like that again?!

Posted

Nick , we have a E turning ENE tonight, much better and this trough should push shrs in for most of the region, loads in Northumberland already, surely over 30cm in parts there.

Some shrs moving into Tyne and Wear in the next few mins- plenty likely to move SWwards over the next few hours , hit and miss though, but less so than yesterday.

Cheers IF... and apologies for yesterday! I was enjoying playing up to it until I took out work related anger on it!

The current band may JUST scrape my location on its southern edge - hope so... last night rather rescued part of the event here, with 2-3" falling all told. 5" cover. Very little thawing despite temps today, although Durham centre is looking very sorry for itself and slushy/dry.

Posted

Yes Northumberland looks like ending up with a lot of snow from this cold spell especially slightly inland areas. I love how the news was all about the snow in the south when I have around 15cm outside and I'd expect parts of Northumberland to have much bigger totals. I'd expect some parts of the north east to end up with more snow than the so called 'red zones'. Its like it doesn't count if it snows up here.

Posted

Cheers IF... and apologies for yesterday! I was enjoying playing up to it until I took out work related anger on it!

The current band may JUST scrape my location on its southern edge - hope so... last night rather rescued part of the event here, with 2-3" falling all told. 5" cover. Very little thawing despite temps today, although Durham centre is looking very sorry for itself and slushy/dry.

Hope you're okay mate- similar snow cover to here, here's hoping we see more showers over the next few days.

Posted

I think once the snow is south of around 'boro the news just makes a big thing of it - stay off the roads/panic buy/death to all type thing! Soft buggers. It's always the same though isnt it

Posted

NickR I thought it was pmt ;D Hope everything is ok

Cheers Liz... yes - just frustration with work and realising how far those who play the game and suck up get ahead. Like I say, I was enjoying it and trying to play up to it for a while, but then... :S

Anyway, a day sledging on Observatory Hill in Durham with my 2 young kids (5 and 2 tomorrow) soon made me realise what's important in life. smile.png

Edited by NickR