Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Three Counties & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Says the person on the internet...did they have that back then? acute.gif

Seems reading is your problem. What is the first comment in my post

I am not itching to get back to those days but they were considerably harder then than now.

So the little cold snap now with little snow is as hard as 1963?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

I remember it well.i started work in London in that January, I had to walk 4 miles to the station as trollybuses could not cope, i remember 4 foot of snow ,lucky we had steam trains, to days electric ones are very poor in bad weather. Windows in side houses froze, and record temps of - 10. All day.. Burst pipes everywhere, and some spectacular ice formations, 50% of our wild birds died that winter that lasted for 3 months....this cold spell is a drop of the hat, but glad some youngsters are enjoying something like saw in 1963

2010 was a rival for 1963 but not as long lasting by some distance, cast your minds back to 2010 and add 8 weeks onto that.

Lets see what feb brings biggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Thats right Habsish... but they still need us to programme thier gadgets!! How would anyone who lived through the winter of 63 lived through a winter 100 years earlier? Its all relative, life moves on.......whistling.gif

Bring on the snow!!!!

By being very, very, very old!rofl.gif

Enough of the arguments please, and let's all just enjoy the snow. While it's still here to enjoy?

Posted

Is Ipswich looking likely to be hit by alot of this snow coming up through tomorrow seen a few posts in other places mentioning us as a 'good spot?'....

How uncommon is it to see a snow front come from this angle?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Hope some of you just watched, the big freeze of 1963 on bbc2..you can still watch it on catch up t.v.

can i see it on bbc i-player ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

By being very, very, very old!rofl.gif

Enough of the arguments please, and let's all just enjoy the snow. While it's still here to enjoy?

Yes & Yes rofl.gif Its getting to something when my 8 year old is giving me IT lessons!!!

EDIT - COYS!

Edited by scotteboi

Posted

By being very, very, very old!rofl.gif[size=

I expect you will be rushing out to look after us poor old people if things get difficult. I'll go and find my blanket and snuggle down following your words of comfort.

Posted

BBC News24 latest forecast was giving heavy snow for the south east from tomorrow am, unsure of amounts though...does anyone have any precip charts for this tomorrow as a guide to what we should be expecting? (cheers) good.gif

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=loop1uur

well you can watch it coming!!

Posted

Anyone who lived through the 1963 winter would think a lot of you are a crowd of feline's.

No internet, no mobile phones, few credit cards, no insulation in your house, no money for many. How many of you young ones could cope until you adjusted?

Many are so soft!!!

I was 6 years old in 1963. And as I survived it as a small undernourished child that probably means I'm too tough for this forum. But if it's alright with everyone else I would still like to remain here. I'll be back on later after I have watched my Box Set of Strictly Come Dancing.

Posted

I was 6 years old in 1963. And as I survived it as a small undernourished child that probably means I'm too tough for this forum. But if it's alright with everyone else I would still like to remain here. I'll be back on later after I have watched my Box Set of Strictly Come Dancing.

Got the impression it was illegal to have memories before 1963. Hope you now have the occasional healthy crust. Not sure if I would go as far as watching Stricty Come Dancing though.

Posted

Got the impression it was illegal to have memories before 1963. Hope you now have the occasional healthy crust. Not sure if I would go as far as watching Stricty Come Dancing though.

Well im going down the local fleapit with Habsish to watch it on a Pathe news reel just before gone with the wind premiers ( kept it topical)

Great. Will I need my scarf on the back of your mobility scooter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

2010 was a rival for 1963 but not as long lasting by some distance, cast your minds back to 2010 and add 8 weeks onto that.

Lets see what feb brings biggrin.png

http://twitpic.com/bvms3x/full

good.gif

Edited by Jason T

Posted

Looking on the Europe saterllite, its rather confusing, the rotation of the low is anti clockwise, and the driving low is sinking towards the med coasts. There is a big overspill of cloud but if this continues then the low will track east and not north as is forecast...any one have any views on this ????

Posted

Well im going down the local fleapit with Habsish to watch it on a Pathe news reel just before gone with the wind premiers ( kept it topical)

be sure to buy some kia-ora, some small tub of vanilla ice-cream to be eaten with a tiny wooden spoon, and one of those chocolate bars with the five different flavours from the usherette.And some spangles if they have any,

and still have change from a shilling.

rofl.gif

Posted

Looking on the Europe saterllite, its rather confusing, the rotation of the low is anti clockwise, and the driving low is sinking towards the med coasts. There is a big overspill of cloud but if this continues then the low will track east and not north as is forecast...any one have any views on this ????

This is good news for me as I'm working all day driving around East Anglia. Going by this Tracking East and Breaking Up I think you are spot on.

Posted

Agh...I now see what's going to happen,as the low tracks east across Southern Europe a secondary low forms to the north,and it's this one that's going to head our way, and then as this moves north a reload on monday/Tuesday hits us again

Posted

be sure to buy some kia-ora, some small tub of vanilla ice-cream to be eaten with a tiny wooden spoon, and one of those chocolate bars with the five different flavours from the usherette.And some spangles if they have any,

and still have change from a shilling.

rofl.gif

Better than the Dona kebabs that we now seem to have to put up with the plebs.

Oh sorry I am not suppose to say pebs now. I apologise as everyone else seems to do nowadays. Great one Lawrence Armstrong. We all believe you.

Edited by Habsish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

so hows everyone feeling for tommorow looking at the gfs it looks like in for a good dumping of snow but it seems really down played .am i missing something

Posted

so hows everyone feeling for tommorow looking at the gfs it looks like in for a good dumping of snow but it seems really down played .am i missing something

I'd say most of the region will say 5cm, so yeah, it's looking good for everyone atm.

Posted

This is good news for me as I'm working all day driving around East Anglia. Going by this Tracking East and Breaking Up I think you are spot on.

Gary...if you take a look at the charts on that site you will see how the secondary low forms on sunday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

And what's wrong with kebabs? They contain an entire day's salt-requirement - all in a oner. Need I say more!rofl.gif